BREAKING: North Carolina same-sex marriage ban passes, CNN projects
May 8th, 2012

BREAKING: North Carolina same-sex marriage ban passes, CNN projects

(CNN) - North Carolina voters will pass a referendum that constutionally bans same-sex marriage, CNN projects. Amendment 1 alters North Carolina's constitution to say that "marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this state."

Filed under: North Carolina • Same-sex marriage
  1. Helen

@23 from Texas

Since when was two people loving each other considered "un-natural"?

I really don't understand you homophobes, how on earth does a gay relationship affect you? Really?

Get a grip.

May 8, 2012 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  2. Get Real

@Helen
    If it were not for those who live by The Book we would have gone over the cliff by now. It's the unbelievers that are driving this country to h€ll. Face it: we need to live by a Godly standard not an unGodly standard which is no standard at all.

May 8, 2012 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  3. Charles

Thank the Lord! Finally, something is accepted as the way it is and was intended. Bravo to NC, hopefully others will follow suit.

May 8, 2012 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  4. Shub

Glad. So glad. Institution of marriage is preserved! !!!! We shouldn't change the constitution to accommodate people's lifestyle preferences. Next thing you know they would want to legalize a father wanting to marry his 15 yr old son.

May 8, 2012 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  5. Get Real

@Matt
    You really do not see that this has nothing to do with gender or race? People choose if they are going to sin or not. People do not choose their skin color or what gender they were born with. They do choose if they are going to act in an un- natural / sinful way. You don't believe it's sin? Your argument is with God.

May 8, 2012 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  6. Davy

I'm sorry that you think god hates the gays, but frankly, I don't remember seeing or hearing anywhere that he does. In fact given that he apparently made this world, then I'd guess he also made the gays, the lesbians, the homeless, cancer, influenza, anything that someone wants to label as a bad thing. We live in a world of ideology and false-consciousness. I think it's so sad that we bring shame upon those who have the ability to love an individual. What would other species think of us for that? They all do it. Let's not forget we too are animals on this earth. I refuse to be ashamed of being myself, I refuse to be ashamed for being how god or whoever made me. I didn't pick this life, but I'm proud of who I am. Sorry NC but you go against love, when I always believed love was all we needed.

May 8, 2012 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  7. Helen

@GetReal

You have GOT to be joking!
    Live by the book?

So what about the catholic priests and the alter boys? Thats gets brushed under the carpet pretty quickly, even though they are "men of the cloth"

And two, innocent people, who love each other and give a decent contribution to community are outcasted because of something they cannot change?

Sick.

May 8, 2012 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  8. Mep

At last! All the politcal correctness in the world does not alter the fact that marriage is the union between one man and one woman. If two homosexual people want to live together that is their business but the sanctity of marriage should not be degraded because one section of society want things to be changed to suit them.

May 8, 2012 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  9. Betty Jane Hunt

From the beginning of time there was man and woman, and male and female of each animal upon the face of the earth. This was and still is the plan way of our Lord Jesus, we must love is what someone said. Same sex marriage is a sin i don't love sin. God made everything to balance out. Answer me one question, when he made woman for Adam, why didn't God make Adam another man? Today there was and still is a book being kept by God, A Book of Remeberance, and this was a time to take a stand for what is right. Love you say, well I love my dog and my cat i even love my child, but I hate SIN and same sex couples or marriage is defined as sin. Wake up people we are still North Carolina and I am proud of the people here. Jesus died for us all, and he loves us all but he hate sin. The people have spoken, today our voices were heard.

May 8, 2012 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  10. Get Real

@Helen
    Nothing wrong with loving; it's the un-natural acts of homo's that is objectionabe. I really don't understand you Christianphobes; you think we are going to stand by and wink while you and the progressive liberals are running this country under the ground? Where do you draw the line? Beast I al ity? or worse? And what gives you the right to draw the line there? What moral standard do you use?

May 8, 2012 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  11. Joel

I humors me to think that people think these relationships are "unnatural", nature proves you wrong. Guess again. Guess what is unnatural: penicillin, electricity, cars, and, wait for it, MONOGAMY! That doesn't mean any of those are a bad thing.

May 8, 2012 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  12. Joel

@Get Real

Ah, the slippery slope fallacy. Is that the best you got, a logical fallacy? Oh, and the question wasn't directed at me, but I use the same moral standard you do: treat others how you would like to be treated. The morals in the bible are a codification of this standard (except the bible makes exceptions such as the god telling the Jews to go slaughter all the native people in the promised land).

One more thing, what is this "christianphobe", why do Christians have a persecution complex, if someone disagrees with you, you automatically think were against you?

May 8, 2012 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  13. Get Real

@Helen
    I'm not defending the perverted actions of some priests.
    Are you telling me gay people can't or won't control their appetites?
    Hmmm... I guess if someone has a propensity for drinking too much, stealing, murdering, etc. they should rightfully be able to do that, also. No. Sin is sin. Christ came to free us from it, but many people stay bound to it because they don't know or believe they can be free from it. Christ said, "If you continue in my teaching you will know the truth and the truth will set you free." The first step is faith in Christ; that's where freedom begins.

May 8, 2012 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  14. ZingR123

@GetReal @Charles
    Let your own conscience be the judge. When you see a happy homosexual couple laughing with their kids, do you really feel disgust or anger? Does it really hurt you so much that you want to make it illegal for two people who love each other to vow their commitment ? What harm does it do you that they live their lives happily?

Shame on the people of NC. Normally I would feel anger or frustration, but today all I feel is disappointment.

But justice and love will come someday. Supporters, don't stop campaigning, don't stop voting! LGBT, we are still behind you! Peace and happiness for everyone

May 8, 2012 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  15. Optimist

@Matt: This is not the same as the jim crow laws prior to the late 60's. If you were discriminated against because of the color of your skin you would understand. Let's face it black people could not hide their skin color but gay people can stay in the closet and hide their sexual preference as some still do today.

May 8, 2012 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  16. Helen

@Get Real

I am not a Christianphobe, what I am against is the narrow mindedness and prejudice that all you hardcore believers seem to have, particularly against groups of people you can't identify with.

I myself, am technically a Christian. I also live, and love another woman. Banish me to hell if you must, but don't try and take away my rights whilst we are all living on this earth.

At the end of the day, you are all living by a book, a story. One which nobody knows who wrote.
    if JK Rowling was alive a few thousand years ago, i suppose we'd all be believing that Dumbledore is God.

May 8, 2012 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  17. Get Real

@Joel
    I used Christianphobes to make a point; I am not afraid of homosexuality so why do those who defend it call me homophobic? I have no persecution complex although you must admit Christians are persecuted for their faith and for speaking out against sin. Call the slippery slope what you will but where do you draw the line? Answer that if you can.
    And yes, I will treat you as I would want you to treat me. That's why I'm letting you know the particular lifestyle is sin. Wouldn't want you to live your whole life thinking it is acceptable to God. You refer to God as though you don't like Him. I'm sorry about that because He does love you.

May 8, 2012 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  18. Betty Jane Hunt

Ok I will try this again, God hate gays. God hates Sin and North Carolina stands for true love love of God and what is right. God didn't make us sin, he made us male and female, sin made us gay if that is what you want to call it. We as the people of North Carolina is all for true love. Tell me this why didn't God make Adam another man? God made the Earth to blance out male and female of each, even trees. What if someone told you that they were in love with their dog what would you say about that? Sin is sin, did God make them this way, no sin did. Sin caused every bad thing to take place. The Lord has spoken again, we the people of North Carolina went the right way this time, THANKS BE UNTO THE TRUE AND LIVING GOD. We all had a chance to take a stand for what is right today, and the LORD had a lot of people on his side today.

May 8, 2012 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  19. Get Real

@ZingR123
    God and my conscience are my judges. When I see a homosexual couple I don't get angry rather I am sad, especially since they portray their choice as healthy and normal. Your argument is with God not me.

May 8, 2012 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  20. Get Real

@Joel
    If you believed God you would understand it IS un-natural. Read the scr I p ture. Ro mans 1: 26.
    Wonder why CNN won't let me post references to the bi ble

May 8, 2012 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  21. Get Real

@Betty Jane Hunt
    God does NOT hate gays.
    You may be correct about some things but get this one straight.

May 8, 2012 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  22. Helen

It never ceases to amaze me that these people are guided by a “moral compass” that is steered by a select few of a patriarchal society, who are best known worldwide for their interest in homosexual encounters with children.

Nice one guys, preach it.

May 8, 2012 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  23. Jary

First cousins can marry in North Carolina. Unless they are of the same sex, I think. How is that ok??

May 8, 2012 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  24. calvin

People forget the point of marriage is to have a union of love and out of that love you create a child. You can't do that with same sex marriage.

May 8, 2012 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  25. Ranger

What is all the talk of hate or homophobia? It seems the gays have the agenda. Nobody says they can't love each other or live with each other. It talks about marrage, a word used to describe a union between a man and a woman for centuries. Why are the gays so hung up about usurping that word. Creat your own label for a gay relationship.

May 8, 2012 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |