BREAKING: North Carolina same-sex marriage ban passes, CNN projects
May 8th, 2012

BREAKING: North Carolina same-sex marriage ban passes, CNN projects

(CNN) - North Carolina voters will pass a referendum that constutionally bans same-sex marriage, CNN projects. Amendment 1 alters North Carolina's constitution to say that "marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this state."

Filed under: North Carolina • Same-sex marriage
  1. Laurel

Amendment one is so wrong. How are the allowed to tell someone that they cant get married. Love is love. Whether its between man and woman, man and man, or woman and woman.
    Its wrong.
    Amendment one is extremely unconstitutional.
    This is all on religious beliefs. Its wrong. The bible says no other idles, yet we have people in this country that believe in other gods, i guess that should be ban too then.
    Wrong.

May 8, 2012 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  2. NameEric

I'm sick of people talking about the institution or marriage. Thats a joke. People who bring god or the institution of marriage into the conversation really need to look in the mirror because thats where the problem is

May 8, 2012 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  3. ZingR123

@getreal
    I am sorry that you feel so, and hope one day you will believe like I do that all individuals have the right to live happily, so long as they don't hurt others. And I can't see how a loving homosexual couple hurts you. I'm straight, but I have friends that deserve respect and happiness. And they're gay.

I wouldn't interfere with your belief, that same-sex marriage is sinful and disgusting, if you didn't try to push it on others. But you are. Or I should, today, the voters of NC are.

May 8, 2012 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  4. Joel

@Get Real

If you define unnatural to be something not consistent with the Christian bible, then your right (along with a load of other "unnatural" things I would bet you do on a daily basis) But if you define unnatural as to be, well, not natural, then you are wrong.

May 8, 2012 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  5. Get Real

@Helen
    You are "technically" a Christian?
    But you think the Bible is just a story book? Hmmmm...

I don't do the banishing; that's up to God.
    I am not taking your rights away; you have every right to live the way you want.
    I have every right to defend the traditional definition of marriage.

Call me narrow minded if you wish but are you not narrow minded yourself if you confine you own views to support your own lifestyle. You seem to be prejudiced against Christians or shall I say "born-again"Christians.

May 8, 2012 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  6. higgins

One more victory for the south

May 8, 2012 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  7. Joel

@Get Real

Wow, you have some real anger issues with Helen. Why do you think she's prejudiced against you when all she does is disagree with you. I have many liberal friends, and although I disagree greatly with their politics, I don't hold it against them. Maybe you should learn from that.

May 8, 2012 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  8. Bill

Ahem, Seperation of church and state, Ahem.
    Same sex marriage should be LEGAL. First amendment people. Do not let god cloud your judgement towards other peoples life styles.

May 8, 2012 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  9. calvin

People forget the point of marriage is to join together as a union of love, and out of that love you create a child who keeps that cycle going if that's what they want to do. You can't do that with same sex marriage.

May 8, 2012 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  10. Joel

Some of my posts aren't going though CNN, this makes it difficult of have a discussion.

May 8, 2012 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  11. Helen

@ Get Real

Well yes, i am technically a christian. It's not something that i chose to be as a young child, and if i were to have a child, i would rather they could make their own decision in regards to religion – something, which many people live their whole life by, but really causes nothing but war and segregation amongst groups of people, which is being displayed here.

And yes, i do believe it is a story book. Is there a shred of evidence to back it up? No.

Science – yes.

Are there examples of many creatures being gay – Yes.

It is not ME who is living un-naturally my friend, and the proof is all around you. I cannot stand being a "2nd class citizen" any longer.

May 8, 2012 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  12. Thomas

This is ridiculous. The real problem with our country is these hypocritical bible-beaters basing their judgement off a book that was specifically, and explicitly separated from state-decision making by the Constitution. They are halting any form of social progression.

May 8, 2012 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  13. Jack Albrecht

This is un-American and simply backward. All federal aid and grants to the State should be frozen. No North Carolina residents should be allowed to represent our nation on the US Olympic team. Seriously, if this vote was against mixed race marriages ...we'd likely (and should be) be sending in troops! This is a gut punch to our republic.

May 8, 2012 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  14. Name

There are other states you can move to

May 8, 2012 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  15. Paul's Letters

Thank the lord my fellow NC brothers saved the sacred right of marriage. I was talking to my girlfriend about it in her apartment in Raleigh the other day she couldn't agree more about the importance of getting right with God as Americans. So great to have so many like minded people in our tarheel state. It's a shame my wife doesn't agree with me. When I'm at the home in Charlotte I feel like her liberal northern education has messed with Kathy's head. At least that's what Cindy says anyways. Marriage is a sacred right given by god

May 8, 2012 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  16. Carebear

God loves Gay people and he wants them all to repent before he sends his son name Jesus, GOD IS ONE AND GOD IS HOLY.

May 8, 2012 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  17. MDNA = MaDge Not Applicable!

With a national divorce rate of over 50%, exactly what part of marriage is NC trying to "save"?

May 8, 2012 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  18. Larry L

Fort Bragg is in North Carolina and gay people serve in the 82nd Airborne. The folks in North Carolina have just told them they are perverts and second class citizens. Are they now allowed to request for transfer to a State where their rights are protected?

May 8, 2012 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  19. sarah

finally someone is making sense it should be outlawed in all states.

May 8, 2012 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  20. Rhombus

I can't understand why people will go to such lengths as to worsen the lives of other human beings. This issue isn't about politics, it's about kindness. I wish North Carolina voters could see fit to extend their kindness to all of their fellow citizens.

May 9, 2012 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  21. Anim Henry

Glory be to God. We still have people who Fear God in America.

May 9, 2012 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  22. Adrian Cipriott

I have nothing against gays, but gay marraiging is a little up to the limit. What do we except afterwards? To have children? What about a child of having a male mother or a female father?! Pls consider...

May 9, 2012 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  23. Tim

Stop being so lazy! Marriage was always intended for man and woman, stop trying to change it!

If you want a partnership that fits your lifestyle, invent your own, get a lawyer to make it legally binding and get others to do the same.

You're not second class citizens, you're demanding we change an ancient law to fit modern ways – some people like tradition!

May 9, 2012 03:54 am at 3:54 am |
  24. Donald

Question? Should marriage be allowed between 3 or more people? They all love each other – are you against love? If you favor gay marriage – where do you stand on polygamy? Shouldn't that be legal also?

May 9, 2012 06:00 am at 6:00 am |
  25. Albert

God doesn't exist. Love does. As far as I'm concerned, people who believe in God are a little bit nuts, but fine by me. However, people who use their belief in God to opress other, totally innocent people (who are doing nothing wrong by anyone), are not just crazy, but very bad people.

May 9, 2012 07:34 am at 7:34 am |