May 8th, 2012

Clinton says she and Biden are 'on the same team'

(CNN) – Vice President Joe Biden joked Sunday that he and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton would run for the White House in 2016 "as a team," and in a Tuesday interview, Clinton suggested they are indeed a solid team.

"We've been on the same team in the Senate, we're on the same team now with President Obama," she told CNN Foreign Affairs Correspondent Jill Dougherty. "No matter what I do in future I'd love to have Joe be on the team because he is a great and effective person who cares deeply about our country."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Clinton has repeatedly shot down suggestions that she would run in 2016, most recently while traveling in Kolkata, India this weekend.

"I'm very flattered but I feel like it's time for me to kind of step off the high wire," she said. I've been involved at the highest levels of American politics for 20 years now."

Others, however, have not been so sure.

Her husband, former President Bill Clinton, said in an April interview, "If she changes her mind and decides to run I'll be happy." But, he said, "I believe she's being absolutely honest with you when she says she doesn't think she'll go back into politics."

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi said a second President Clinton "would be so exciting."

Even Donald Trump has weighed in, last month calling her a "terrific woman" and predicting "she probably runs after the next four years."

Clinton has said that if Obama is reelected, she will not serve a second term in his cabinet, and on Tuesday said she feels comfortable and enjoys being able to let her hair down – or pull it back.

"I feel so relieved to be at the stage I'm at in my life right now Jill," she said. "Because you know if I want to wear my glasses I'm wearing my glasses. If I want to wear my hair back I'm pulling my hair back. You know at some point it's just not something that deserves a lot of time and attention.

"And if others want to worry about it, I let them do the worrying for a change."

Also see:

Soros donates $1 million to liberal super PAC

White House downplays Biden's same-sex marriage remarks

Poll: Romney, Obama dead even in dozen swing states

Filed under: 2012 • 2016 • Hillary Clinton • Joe Biden
  1. Michael

May 8, 2012 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  2. Bob

Hillary Clinton is the individual I feel sorry for everyday. I still can't believe the Democrats were irresponsible enough to elect Obama. He is in WAY over his head already and he has a 180lb anchor around his neck to boot (Joe Biden makes Dan Quayle look like a genius). If the Democrats elected Hillary Clinton everything would have been OK. How in the world did she lose to this guy?

May 8, 2012 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  3. Obama 2012 - BEND Forward America, take another 4 long years of FAILURE

Democrat Party proved in 2008 that all they want women for is to vote the men into office, not actually RUN for office. The Democrat woman's place is barefoot, unemployed (thanks to Obama), childless (thanks to "choice") and pulling the lever for the guy they are told to vote for. Heck, they even attacked the "first black President" (aka Slick Willy) as being racist to put them over the inexperienced black guy over the top. And the country has been paying for it ever since....

May 8, 2012 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  4. Obama 2012 - BEND Forward America, take another 4 long years of FAILURE

Frank - is well known to be one of its most knowledgeable foreign policy experts.
    ================================================================
    No doubt a legend in his own mind. Fact is he's been wrong on just about everything he's opened his mouth on. Divide Iraq into 3 countries? Don't go after Bin Laden??

Biden must be running joke material in the Whitehouse. He's like a box of Stupid Chocolate, you just never know what stupid thing he'll say next.

May 8, 2012 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  5. IndeePendant

Republicans' irresponsible Wars = $2T
    Republicans's irresponsible Tax Cuts = $1.5T
    Republican's Wall Street Bailout = $0.8T
    Republican's Imbecile Ploicies = 10M Jobs Lost
    Republican Congress Approval rating = 13%, i.e. Duesch Bimbaugh's supporters'

May 8, 2012 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  6. acura2010

Laughable article!
    Hillary won't even choose Biden. Biden should be dumped asap. Never approved what he has done in congress all these years.

May 8, 2012 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  7. Nope

I do not have to wait until 2016 to vote for Secretary Clinton for POTUS. I will write her name in on my ballot just as I did in 2008.

May 8, 2012 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  8. acura2010

This country is broke! What a foolish statement some posters posted. Obama not the problem what this country is facing. Bad seeds planted by both political parties and by the way, a huge group of Americans are fed up with both. Face the truth, congress sold this country out! Cheney said, "don't worry about the deficit". Pelosi,Reid, McConnell, Boehner sold this country out!

May 8, 2012 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  9. s.positive

It is amazing to see how ignant most Americans are. President Obama, thank God has saved this country from the demise of Bush and the republican govet. Romney will not get a chance to repeat that and so enjoy another FOUR years of a smart president, President Obam eventhough some of you Americans do not deserve it...

May 8, 2012 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  10. JimII

Osama is dead; GM is alive. Thank you President Obama.

Also, Hillary is awesome.

May 8, 2012 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  11. acura2010

2016 ia nor guaranteed to none of us. Now for today issues, none of these politicians and that includes Hillary Clinton are not willing to fight and go after the crooks that brought this country it"s knees Congress sold this country out!

May 8, 2012 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  12. acura2010

President Obama didn't vote for these freaking wars that put this country in this mess! Decades of poor sowing of seeds brought this economic disaster. Clinton signed NAFTA. Congress sold this country out! Dems and Repubs should be swiming in hell. You devils!

May 8, 2012 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  13. steven harnack

For those lowbrows who criticize Joe. at least when Joe makes a gaffe he and everyone else knows that it's a gaffe. I can't think of any Republicans who wouldn't wait a coulpe of days before saying, A) they were taken out of context, B) they're sorry that the people they insulted felt that they were insulted, C) it wasn't meant to be taken as a factual statement, or D) I never said that.

May 8, 2012 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  14. The Dude

Michael:

"After almost four years of this President "gaining experience" as a President, we are now broke (yes folks – call it what you may but our currency is just about worthless – just pity the poor stupid Chinese for investing in US debt – the joke's on them!!), our military has been run into the ground (and they really, really don't care for this Commander-in-Chief), our President has literally bowed to every 3rd world leader that tramps to the White House, while he has alienated almost all of our true, long-standing allies. Great job Mr. Obama – yes you did."
    ____________________________________________________________________

Uh...right. You must be sick with fever to spout off such nonsense. Please list all true long-standing allies that have been alienated by the Obama administration. Please tell us how you know the military does not support our president. Please tells us why you can't deal with facts and figures but can only regurgitate the propaganda you intake from Fox News every day. Try seeking the truth. You won't find it on the internet or cable news.

May 8, 2012 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  15. Silence DoGood

@JimII "Osama is dead; GM is alive. "

Assassination and support for corporations. I am so proud of the USA. I would have preferred that Obama had kept his promises.

May 8, 2012 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  16. Martin

I'd love to see a bipartisan ticket, Clinton / Powell or Clinton / Rice as the Dem option in 2016.

Two experienced Sec States on the same ticket would work wonders.

May 8, 2012 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  17. Rob Jones

Thanks for the laugh Hilary. Biden is further proof of the hopeless media bias. If he was GOP the media would have a field day every day. Same with Obama really, but they don't even care about his college transcripts that he refuses to release.

May 8, 2012 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  18. Time for another change

Any ticket with Clinton and Biden is pure fantasy on Biden's part. Clinton would not make the same mistake of selecting Biden as Obama did before.

May 8, 2012 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  19. DAVID

I might entertain a vote for Clinton HOWEVER if Biden or Pelosi were ever involved – NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Biden is a complete idiot and Pelosi should be banned from public life. She, in my opinion, is not a honest person. She doesn't care about anybody other than herself and the Democratic Party
    Obama is an excellent speaker, has no idea of what he is doing, tells people anything that he thinks they want to hear and will NOT get my vote this time.

May 8, 2012 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  20. Really

The other day, Biden referred to Mitt Romney as "President Romney", and he called President Obama, "President Clinton"...Please don't drop Biden as your VP Mr. President, this is so much fun!

Then again, if you did drop him, I just might vote for you...jk

May 8, 2012 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  21. MBW

They have my vote. I can't wait. We need four more years of Obama and eight more years of Clinton/Biden to ciaw our way out of the hole of the Bush years. Remember, it took FDR/Truman four administrations to work our way out of the Depression. Only the Democrats could do it then, and only the Democrats can do it now. History does repeat itself.

May 8, 2012 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  22. iBod

Looking at this strategically, the Democrats could send Joe Biden into the ring for one term, with Hillary as the Vice President, then setup Hillary for 2020, and she would then be around the same age Biden [will be] when elected in 2016. It also sets up one of the rising stars like Cuomo to gain more experience - maybe as Clinton's Vice President, leaving him with eight more years until then.

However, I don't see it like that. 2016 is Cuomo's time. The only person that is stopping him is Hillary Clinton, not Joe Biden. I love Joe - I really do - but I believe the only way he makes it into the Executive in 2016 is as Secretary Of State (which I wouldn't rule out). The tricky thing is whether it will be Cuomo or Clinton. If Clinton runs, count on them both teaming up, with Cuomo as the Vice President, and Biden as the Secretary Of State. I can certainly see Biden running, but if Cuomo runs - and it's very likely - and with Hillary out of the picture - then I see Cuomo overcoming Biden.

Usually you hear the argument all the time: You can't predict the future. I think that's a terrible argument. I think everyone knew after Richard Nixon's close defeat to JFK, that he was going to run again, and then, be the President when he [did]. The same is the case with Hillary and Barack. She came so close that it is natural for people with such great power not to have an ego to go back into that arena. She will run in 2016, and she will win the Presidency; and you can bet Good Ol' Grandpa Joe and New York's finest Gov will be a part of that history - as SOS and the VP.

May 8, 2012 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  23. Lili

Busy/Cheney regime destroyed this great country!! President Obama is the right person to lead us out of this mess but unfortunately, another 4 years want be enough! And although its going to take decades to get out of this mess. I'd certainly prefer Pres. Obama to face the challenges of the next 4 since he thinks a situation through before making crazy/hasty decisions like going after "mass weapons of destruction "and "Osama" in IRAQ! Pres. Obama and the military team got Osama in Pakistan!! So much for trying Bush/Cheney!!

May 8, 2012 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  24. mj

Biden?? I have the deepest respect for Mrs. Clinton, however, this moron deserves to be retired. He is an idiot with too much money and power and a complete lack of brain cells.

May 8, 2012 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |