May 8th, 2012

Clinton says she and Biden are 'on the same team'

(CNN) – Vice President Joe Biden joked Sunday that he and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton would run for the White House in 2016 "as a team," and in a Tuesday interview, Clinton suggested they are indeed a solid team.

"We've been on the same team in the Senate, we're on the same team now with President Obama," she told CNN Foreign Affairs Correspondent Jill Dougherty. "No matter what I do in future I'd love to have Joe be on the team because he is a great and effective person who cares deeply about our country."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Clinton has repeatedly shot down suggestions that she would run in 2016, most recently while traveling in Kolkata, India this weekend.

"I'm very flattered but I feel like it's time for me to kind of step off the high wire," she said. I've been involved at the highest levels of American politics for 20 years now."

Others, however, have not been so sure.

Her husband, former President Bill Clinton, said in an April interview, "If she changes her mind and decides to run I'll be happy." But, he said, "I believe she's being absolutely honest with you when she says she doesn't think she'll go back into politics."

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi said a second President Clinton "would be so exciting."

Even Donald Trump has weighed in, last month calling her a "terrific woman" and predicting "she probably runs after the next four years."

Clinton has said that if Obama is reelected, she will not serve a second term in his cabinet, and on Tuesday said she feels comfortable and enjoys being able to let her hair down – or pull it back.

"I feel so relieved to be at the stage I'm at in my life right now Jill," she said. "Because you know if I want to wear my glasses I'm wearing my glasses. If I want to wear my hair back I'm pulling my hair back. You know at some point it's just not something that deserves a lot of time and attention.

"And if others want to worry about it, I let them do the worrying for a change."

Also see:

Soros donates $1 million to liberal super PAC

White House downplays Biden's same-sex marriage remarks

Poll: Romney, Obama dead even in dozen swing states

Filed under: 2012 • 2016 • Hillary Clinton • Joe Biden
  1. GROVER NORQUIST IS A ENEMY OF THE STATE/ConservaFASCISTS

Why does the media always try to cause friction within the administration? The President chose a team of rivals. That selection has worked out in his favor. As far as A Pres. Clinton in 2016, it's possible.

May 8, 2012 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  2. samuraikatana1

Unless something dramatic happens between now and 2016 she probably has the best chance of all the Democrats. However, given our history of swapping out parties every 4-8 years, she will have an uphill battle. I would personally like to see her as President after Obama, she's done a darn good job as Secretary of State.

May 8, 2012 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  3. demwit

Joe and Hillary on the same team? Wow! That is news!!

May 8, 2012 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  4. Rudy NYC

All of this talk about Hillary Clinton being on the ticket is just more divisive rumor mongering on the part of conservatives, that's all. Divide and conquer. If it didn't come from Hillary Clinton's mouth, there is no reason to believe any of it.

May 8, 2012 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  5. Four and The Door

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
    She's right. The first 8 as First Lady, although maybe that's working it a little bit for being described as a high wire act at the highest level of American politics.

May 8, 2012 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  6. simplekatt

Hillary you are one special woman! God Bless you!

May 8, 2012 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  7. The GOP opens mouth and inserts foot

I'd vote for them. Intelligence, common sense, awareness of what's going on in this country, a desire to undo the mistakes of the Republicans, caring about America and Americans, building our country up again after the Bush disaster - definitely keep up the tradition of 'smarts' currently exhibited in the Democratic party and completely missing in the Republican party.

May 8, 2012 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  8. Dominican mama 4 Obama (the real one)

------------------------------------------------
    What a class act this woman is!!
    Hillary we love you!!!
    Obama 2012
    Hillary 2016
    GOP Teatard Clowns NEVER!

May 8, 2012 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  9. maximusvad

Clinton 2016

May 8, 2012 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  10. Yankees fan

would like to see her run again – but not with Biden

May 8, 2012 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  11. Claudia, Houston, Tx

There are 10 women Presidents around the World who have very impressive resumes, Hillary Clinton ranks with them if not higher. Yet we have women like Palin, Bachmann and a few others who make accusations of gender or media discrimination, which are excuses they use as a threat in an attempt to gainer support, it doesn't work like that.

May 8, 2012 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  12. !ST SGT

If you desire to be President Hillary, you'd better get the notion of the same team Obama, and Biden out of your head. For we as patriot Americans will not vote for you.

May 8, 2012 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  13. Get Real

She should have "stepped off the high wire" a looooong time ago, along with Bill, Obama, Pelosi and all the other progressive Socialists that are destroying the country.

May 8, 2012 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  14. DIANA

Clinton could run with anybody and she would win. I don't think Vice President Biden would want to run as Vice President again.

Go Hilary!

May 8, 2012 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  15. leftiecrocheter

Please Please Please run in 2016 Mrs. Clinton! We need someone like you in the White House to stand up for Middle America! You have my vote already!

May 8, 2012 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  16. PraiseTheLards

I wrote in her name on the 2008 ballot, and will do so again this year.

May 8, 2012 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  17. Jokesterer

We haven't even got to the 2012 primaries yet. Do we really need to start on 2016 already? This is worse than starting Christmas before Halloween.

May 8, 2012 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  18. Dr. Knowitall

Yes, every lruler, err leader eader needs a token court jester. And Joe is the best fool since Dan Quayle.

May 8, 2012 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  19. Rudy NYC

Four and The Door wrote:

-----------------–
    Your conservative, selective recall is showing. Republicans gave Mrs. Clinton more hell than any first lady in history. From accusations of real estate fraud to invading her bedroom. Conservatives- so predictable. What is the most absurd thing that can be said on a topic, kick it up a notch, and that is what a conservative says.

May 8, 2012 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  20. jaketinback

This would be about the scariest things since the invention of the Atomic Bomb.

May 8, 2012 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  21. Mark L.

There is absolutely NO DOUBT in my mind. If Hillary Rodham Clinton makes a run for President in 2016, we will have our very first MRS. President...And THAT would be GREAT...Absolutely Wonderful...(and about damned time too...{:o) !!!

May 8, 2012 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  22. Steve

I just vomited in my mouth!!!!!!!

May 8, 2012 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  23. Duane - St. Pete FLA

Go Mitt!!! 2012!!!

May 8, 2012 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  24. db

Is it April 1st or Holloween? In either case this would be a disaster.

May 8, 2012 10:52 am at 10:52 am |