May 8th, 2012

Clinton says she and Biden are 'on the same team'

(CNN) – Vice President Joe Biden joked Sunday that he and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton would run for the White House in 2016 "as a team," and in a Tuesday interview, Clinton suggested they are indeed a solid team.

"We've been on the same team in the Senate, we're on the same team now with President Obama," she told CNN Foreign Affairs Correspondent Jill Dougherty. "No matter what I do in future I'd love to have Joe be on the team because he is a great and effective person who cares deeply about our country."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Clinton has repeatedly shot down suggestions that she would run in 2016, most recently while traveling in Kolkata, India this weekend.

"I'm very flattered but I feel like it's time for me to kind of step off the high wire," she said. I've been involved at the highest levels of American politics for 20 years now."

Others, however, have not been so sure.

Her husband, former President Bill Clinton, said in an April interview, "If she changes her mind and decides to run I'll be happy." But, he said, "I believe she's being absolutely honest with you when she says she doesn't think she'll go back into politics."

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi said a second President Clinton "would be so exciting."

Even Donald Trump has weighed in, last month calling her a "terrific woman" and predicting "she probably runs after the next four years."

Clinton has said that if Obama is reelected, she will not serve a second term in his cabinet, and on Tuesday said she feels comfortable and enjoys being able to let her hair down – or pull it back.

"I feel so relieved to be at the stage I'm at in my life right now Jill," she said. "Because you know if I want to wear my glasses I'm wearing my glasses. If I want to wear my hair back I'm pulling my hair back. You know at some point it's just not something that deserves a lot of time and attention.

"And if others want to worry about it, I let them do the worrying for a change."

Also see:

Soros donates $1 million to liberal super PAC

White House downplays Biden's same-sex marriage remarks

Poll: Romney, Obama dead even in dozen swing states

Filed under: 2012 • 2016 • Hillary Clinton • Joe Biden
  1. rla

Joe Biden???? He is lucky to make it on this demo ticket... Just keep talking Joe

May 8, 2012 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  2. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

We shouldn't be thinking about 2016 until the end of November 2012 at the absolute earliest. We should let the president make his case and see what case Romney can really provide that is different than the tired old line of cut regulation and taxes on the wealthy and spend like there is no tomorrow on the military.

May 8, 2012 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  3. rstlne

I was a Hillary supporter eight years ago, and I would be again in a heartbeat if she decided to run again. Unfortunately, I think she's too smart to put herself through that again.

May 8, 2012 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  4. Mike

That picture makes her look death warmed over. Ugh.

May 8, 2012 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  5. s.s

Of course she is in the same team with joe because she knows those were her people before they hijacked the movement!

May 8, 2012 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  6. Bob

Im so tired of "Trump weighing in" – given his track record of being a publicity hound, I cannot understand why anyone gives him the time of day.

May 8, 2012 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  7. ADC

I would love to see a Clinton/Clinton ticket in 2016!

May 8, 2012 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  8. Lynda/Minnesota

A vote for Obama is a vote for Hillary Clinton. A vote for Romney is a vote for Rush Limbaugh.

Obama/Biden 2012

May 8, 2012 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  9. Gimmeabreak!

Hillary lost my vote (and I send much moola her way during the campaign) when she capitulated to that empty suit Obama - what a sell-out! Secretary of State was merely her negotiated "consolation prize" from the empty suit Obama. And I don't see that she accomplished anything fantastic as SOS so far, except for her many photo ops (ah, yes, the Obama way!) She could have served her country much better by staying in the Senate. And for heaven's sake, Hillary, get rid of that "long" hair. It makes you look like an old shrew - the short style was much more becoming.
    In any case, Hillary, you will NEVER get another vote from me!

May 8, 2012 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  10. AmericanSam

I'll gladly vote for Clinton in 2016.

May 8, 2012 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  11. Yep

I'll put her name as a write in. Both of the clowns that will be on the ballot this year aren't capable of being an effective POTUS

May 8, 2012 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  12. Democrat Class Warfare - Destroying the economy, destroying the country

Yeah, on the same alright! Hillary as the quarterback and Biden as the waterboy. (with a sock in his mouth)

May 8, 2012 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  13. Democrat Class Warfare - Destroying the economy, destroying the country

Biden is trying to suck up to Hillary so she won't replace him on the ticket in 2012. When Obama falls behind in the poll, look for the 3am phone call to Hillary to save him by dumping Crazy Joe and putting Hillary on the ticket. But even that won't save him because people have had enough failure.

May 8, 2012 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  14. Four and The Door

Is this a CNN pun satirizing the Bosnian sniper fire she dodged while running across a tarmac as First Lady? That episode right there would have been enough to scare anyone off that high wire of the highest level of American politics. But not Hillary Clinton. Tough as nails.

May 8, 2012 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  15. george of the jungle

repos should remember all the nice things they have said about hillary because if she did run they would turn around and bash her too. She is one smart cookie and I would feel quit safe with her in the white house. She has more experience than any repo running this time around. Her and Joe are both more qualified than any repo running . And no matter how they spin it it is the truth. Obama 2012

May 8, 2012 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  16. Publius Novus

Hillary and Joe – 2016. Allllllll riiiiiiight!

May 8, 2012 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  17. REPUBLICAN ARE THE GREATEST

They will be defeated by President Mitt Romney who will win a second term.

May 8, 2012 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  18. Four and The Door

REPUBLICAN ARE THE GREATEST
    They will be defeated by President Mitt Romney who will win a second term.
    ________________________________________________________________________
    Romney 2012 & 2016. I have to agree. Eight will be great!

May 8, 2012 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  19. The REAL Truth...

@Get Real – "along with Bill, Obama, Pelosi and all the other progressive Socialists that are destroying the country."
    -----------------------------
    That's the problem with opinions, they don't have to have any basis in FACT or TRUTH, or even remotely VALID. The Dem's have definitely NOT been destroying the country. The Grand Obstructionist Party and their Taliban candidates have been doing that VERY WELL on their own thank you. Reagan, Bush 41 and Dubya's supply-side trickle-down, tax-reducing, debt-ceiling-increasing, SS raiding, war-mongering policies have worked so well haven't they?

Did you forget who had the largest debt-ceiling increase? That's right – Reagan (look it up). He also ADDED 283,000 govt jobs and increased taxes. He would be considered a RINO in today's world. Remember – "Read my lips"? What about 2 UNFUNDED wars (both started illegally under false pretenses), the TARP bailout and 2008 $1.3T Fed DEFICIT under Dubya? Of course you don't remember any of that. It's part of your GOBP amnesiac revisionist history.
    So who's [been] destroying the country??

May 8, 2012 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  20. Dick Hertz

Stand by your man.

May 8, 2012 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  21. The REAL Truth...

@Four and The Door – "Romney 2012 & 2016. I have to agree. Eight will be great!"
    --------------------------
    I'd be more worried about getting into the starting gate in Nov, long before I started to counting to eight if I were you.

May 8, 2012 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  22. yneemee

Hillary is too smart to have Joe on her ticket in 2016 – she will pick someone a lot wiser, less bombastic and will win in 2016.... and this from a conservative, Christian, Republican to boot

May 8, 2012 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  23. Slowson

If the day ever comes where Joe Biden, Pelosi, and Uncle Bill Clinton ever endorse anyone and they actually win, head for Canada

May 8, 2012 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  24. randomname84

Why do Americans insist on electing dynasties to public office? The Kennedy's, the Bush's, and now the Clinton's. We form a nation to depart from a hereditary monarchy and people VOLUNTARILY insist upon electing the same prominent families to power. There's no way I'm voting for Hillary Clinton.

May 8, 2012 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  25. Castillo

I do not think the gaffe master is going to make another ticket. After Obama he will retire and carefully manage his 1% charitable giving.

May 8, 2012 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |