May 8th, 2012

Clinton says she and Biden are 'on the same team'

(CNN) – Vice President Joe Biden joked Sunday that he and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton would run for the White House in 2016 "as a team," and in a Tuesday interview, Clinton suggested they are indeed a solid team.

"We've been on the same team in the Senate, we're on the same team now with President Obama," she told CNN Foreign Affairs Correspondent Jill Dougherty. "No matter what I do in future I'd love to have Joe be on the team because he is a great and effective person who cares deeply about our country."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Clinton has repeatedly shot down suggestions that she would run in 2016, most recently while traveling in Kolkata, India this weekend.

"I'm very flattered but I feel like it's time for me to kind of step off the high wire," she said. I've been involved at the highest levels of American politics for 20 years now."

Others, however, have not been so sure.

Her husband, former President Bill Clinton, said in an April interview, "If she changes her mind and decides to run I'll be happy." But, he said, "I believe she's being absolutely honest with you when she says she doesn't think she'll go back into politics."

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi said a second President Clinton "would be so exciting."

Even Donald Trump has weighed in, last month calling her a "terrific woman" and predicting "she probably runs after the next four years."

Clinton has said that if Obama is reelected, she will not serve a second term in his cabinet, and on Tuesday said she feels comfortable and enjoys being able to let her hair down – or pull it back.

"I feel so relieved to be at the stage I'm at in my life right now Jill," she said. "Because you know if I want to wear my glasses I'm wearing my glasses. If I want to wear my hair back I'm pulling my hair back. You know at some point it's just not something that deserves a lot of time and attention.

"And if others want to worry about it, I let them do the worrying for a change."

Also see:

Soros donates $1 million to liberal super PAC

White House downplays Biden's same-sex marriage remarks

Poll: Romney, Obama dead even in dozen swing states

Filed under: 2012 • 2016 • Hillary Clinton • Joe Biden
  1. dmacker

Dump slow Joe for the thrill of Hill !!!!

May 8, 2012 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  2. Hank

Love her totally! Alexithemic Mitt might as well forget about still continuing to hold on to his next-in-line deli ticket until 2016 if Hillary runs.

May 8, 2012 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  3. Jeff

If Obama wins in 2012 she won't run in 2016 and most certainly would never run with Biden. I'm not sure why the media has a fixation on politicians that say they don't want to run for something (ex: Chris Christie); these aren't your favorite characters on a TV show. If they are tired or don't want it, let them fade away. Politics shouldn't be a life long career if our Representative government is to function properly.

May 8, 2012 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  4. Slowson

randomname84,
    For the most part, the American voting public of both parties have the knowledge and wisdom of a yeti. Whatever 30 second TV clip hits home gets their vot.

May 8, 2012 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  5. Jo

May 8, 2012 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  6. Gregory Faith

I'm in a living nightmare now, why would I want to prolong it even more by thinking of 2016? No Bamma and certainly NO CLINTON. No more FAMILY PRESIDENTS in the White House EVER AGAIN! People WAKE UP, WAKE ME UP, THIS NIGHT MARE WON"T END IN NOVEMBER!

May 8, 2012 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  7. Eardley Ham Woodbury, MN

She will run in 2016 to take back the White House from Romney. She will choose Mike Beebe as her running mate.

You read it here first.

May 8, 2012 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  8. Observer91

That's too bad. I wouldn't mind her being our next President after President Obama's second term, that is, if Obama does get a second term. Pretty sure he will despite what everyone else on this site seems to want.

May 8, 2012 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  9. Peggy - TX

Gimmeabreak! Said in an earlier posted comment: "Hillary, get rid of that "long" hair. … the short style was much more becoming. In any case, Hillary, you will NEVER get another vote from me!"

Gimmerabreak has spoken, if you have bad hair then, you will not get her vote!!!

Of course Hillary is not running for Office so Hillary does not need Gemmeabrake’s vote. If President Obama wins another term, then Hillaray wins, maybe a place on the Suprere Court, bad hair and all, and more importantly America wins.

We love you Haillary … for what you do… not for the quality of your hair.

May 8, 2012 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  10. Obama 2012 - BEND Forward America, take another 4 long years of FAILURE

No more Demorcats in the Whitehouse. The country cannot afford them anymore. We're broke thanks to Obama.

May 8, 2012 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  11. Peggy - TX

Jo said in an earlie blog “Biden is a blithering clown- every time he opens his mouth something stupid comes out of it. The best thing Owebama has done for this country the last 4 years is keep this idiot from making policy.”

Any one who refers to the duly elected president of the United states as “Owebama” is not credible. The “idiot” label Jo tosses about so casually is quite descriptive of Jo’s own comments.

May 8, 2012 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  12. tallcasino

Why does everybody assume that Clinton will run in 2016 after the way she was treated in 2008 against Obama. They were calling her all kinds of demeaning derogatory names plus the media turned on her in favor of an unkown Obama. Do you really think she wants all that stress again?

May 8, 2012 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  13. citizenUSA

It's amazing how vividly I'm dreaming about reading and replying to this article.

May 8, 2012 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  14. sal

Joe is Obama's joke. No one listens to him and no one takes him seriously.

I'm surprised he's still a VP candidate, but then again, Obama doesn't want to be challenged, so it makes sense to carry a whippin boy!!!

May 8, 2012 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  15. karek40

IThere is nothing any president from either party can do to correct in 4 years what has taken the last 4 globalist presidents 23+ years to do. Free trade, no tarriffs, moving our manufacturing out of the country with its jobs. It does not matter if Obama or Romney wins the next election (they are both globalists), the country will be worse off after 4 years and the party that wins the white house will get the blame. The blame rests clearly with the all voters, we continue to choose globalists rather than a president who puts America first.

May 8, 2012 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  16. Obama 2012 - BEND Forward America, take another 4 long years of FAILURE

If I were Biden I'd check twice before heading down the stairs of the plane to make sure none of Obama's Chicago buddies push him. He'll do anything to get Hillary on the ticket in 2012 because he has zero chance of winning with bumblin' Biden.

May 8, 2012 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  17. Dog_eater

Biden/Hillary: Azz Clown/Leftist Hag.

May 8, 2012 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  18. Silence DoGood

@tallcasino "Why does everybody assume that Clinton will run in 2016 after the way she was treated in 2008 against Obama. "

That bears repeating. What we learned from that election is that it is NOT OK to be an intelligent accomplished woman running for president yet. Both repubs and dems used horrible names for her. and she is such a class act she presses forward doing an amazing job for our country and women everywhere.

May 8, 2012 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  19. Motto

Oh, no "buy-one-get -one free"!!!!!
    Hillary, Bill is a bad guy but not worsen like Biden.
    By the way, who is Biden?

May 8, 2012 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  20. Frank

Joe Biden happens to be a force in the US Senate as Vice President, and is well known to be one of its most knowledgeable foreign policy experts. The people here who have bought into Fox News's denigration of the VP clearly do not know much about Biden-but it does not keep them from making light of his skills and accomplishments.

May 8, 2012 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  21. TomGI

2016? I'd say that's putting the cart before the horse.

May 8, 2012 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  22. Dog_eater

Hag Hillary and Bubba Bill have one thing in common: they both like sweet young thangs!

May 8, 2012 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  23. Michael

Clinton and Biden? Looks like the circus will be coming to town after all. It will be led by a magician with lots of tricks up her sleeve, slight of hand, and misdirection, followed by the biggest clown to hit DC in a long time!

May 8, 2012 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  24. jim

Why would Clinton run as Joey's VP? Not that I think Joey would get the Democratic nomination anyway. The party has pretty much rejected him from that role. It doen't make sense for Joey to continue as VP on a Clinton ticket. Besides, as much as I disagree with Clinton's policies, she isn't stupid and would never have Joey as the bottom half of her ticket.

May 8, 2012 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  25. PotD

Now this is the most scary thing can happen. If they really make a Clinton-Joe ticket in 2016, then I will definitely vote for Republican, whoever the candidate is .

May 8, 2012 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |