May 8th, 2012

North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban, CNN projects

(CNN) –North Carolina voters have passed a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, CNN projects, putting a ban that already existed in state law into the state's charter.

With more than 1.5 million votes counted from Tuesday's referendum, supporters of the ban led opponents by a margin of 61% to 39%, according to figures from the State Board of Elections. Its backers prepared to celebrate by serving wedding cake to their supporters in a Raleigh ballroom.

FULL STORY

Filed under: North Carolina • West Virginia
  1. Gurgyl

Just not vote for fhis stupid, most idiotic amendment.

May 8, 2012 07:56 am at 7:56 am |
  2. Dean

Forget the bible...forget society...you cannot have marriage unless the partners are able to procreate. Plain and simple.

May 8, 2012 08:02 am at 8:02 am |
  3. demwit

I can't vote on this one yet, my opinion us still evolving..

May 8, 2012 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  4. Ilya

Marriage is between a man and a woman. Use a different term. Call it a "gay union," or something like that. Personally I would not call them a "family," they cannot procreate. If they want to live together fine, they should not be allowed to have anything to do with children. Children should not be taught that such "unions" are normal and acceptable, only to be tolerated.

May 8, 2012 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  5. Al-NY,NY

After they approve it, they should remove the electricity and toilets from all the structures and go with candles and out-houses. That would reflect the technology of the time they are moving towards

May 8, 2012 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  6. avatar

you people around the world have your opinion and viewpoints LET NORTH CAROLINA HAVE THEIRS

May 8, 2012 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  7. avatar

typically SOUND REASONING will help individuals in making their choice BUTTTT in todays world their are so many distractions THE BLIND are leading the BLIND

May 8, 2012 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  8. Canuck

I don't understand how banning gays from marrying is protecting NC families??? If you don't like gay marriage , don't have one. This is just legislated hatred.

May 8, 2012 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  9. The Real Tom Paine

I would be willing to bet the divorce rate in NC is higher than the national average.

May 8, 2012 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  10. Common sense grandma

Dean, does your statement imply that couples that find they are unable to have children are not married? Even if they had the ceremony? How sad to know my aunt and uncle spent 55 years together but apparently were not really married.

May 8, 2012 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  11. mcskadittle

This is a sad day for our nation when a state makes discrimination part of their constitution

May 8, 2012 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  12. Get Real

I'm still waiting for a defender of gay marriage to tell me where they would draw the line regarding relationships... are you okay with Beas ti ali ty? How about man and son? Anything goes? I think not.

May 8, 2012 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  13. Get Real

@Canuck
    It's not legislated hatred. Just because someone opposes gay marriage does not mean they hate gays. Do you hate everyone who commits a sin? I doubt it but you probably don't like sin. Get it?

May 8, 2012 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  14. Get Real

@Al-Ny,NY
    Works for the Amish. And they sure are nice, hard working, God fearing people. Too bad there aren't more of them in society. Don't tell me you hate them, too.

May 8, 2012 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  15. Scott

The problem with people who say 'let the people decide' is that they don't quite get that we are a representative democracy and we have a constitutional that guarantees certain rights, among them equal protection under the law. A majority has no legal right to be voting upon the rights of minorities- that is unconstitutioinal and these laws will be overturned.

May 8, 2012 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  16. Name

And to think, we used to have laws against interracial marriage too. Nowadays such an idea would be laughed at, but they were on the books. Every generation we get more and more tolerant, so I have hope for us.

I am white. My wife is not. If the state told me that we could not marry due the religious beliefs of others (which were the arguments of those laws) then I would be hurt, offended and wronged. I imagine that gay couples feel the same way.

Just as my wife and I can enjoy a loving marriage, I hope one day gay couples can as well. As long as the relationship is between consenting adults, the religious views of others should not infringe upon it.

May 8, 2012 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  17. rudy

I wonder which way Darwin would have voted?

May 8, 2012 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  18. sonnie3

This was a Common Sense , God Fearing Right thing to Do.
    God Bles NC

May 8, 2012 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  19. sonnie3

NC has morals and common sense. Great to See.

May 8, 2012 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  20. s.s

If two men sodomize each other non of my concern but don't call it marriage then when people don't agree with your definition you go flashing bigotry and hate card it won't work!! because Lucifer and his agents are going down down down. Adam and Eve were the beginning of procreation don't like it I had Mass can sustain life please leave our Earth in peace.

May 8, 2012 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  21. Bootstomper

It's the south what do you expect .There still fighting the civil war.

May 9, 2012 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  22. Al-NY,NY

Get Real

@Al-Ny,NY
    --------------------

i don't. It is just a representation of the lifelstyle and manner in which the GOP has this "the way we were" fascination of how live was when beaver and wally waited along with June at the door when Ward came home.

May 9, 2012 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  23. RNC is out of touch with Women and Middle Class Americans

I knew there was a reason I didn't move to NC it's stuck in the 19 TH century.

May 9, 2012 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  24. Que Paso?

Amazing grace how sweet that sounds!! Thanks North Carolina!!
    "Ideology cannot be a substitute for a determination to think for yourself, for a willingness to study an issue objectively, and for the fortitude to sometimes disagree with your party or even your constituents," May- 8th-2012, Richard Lugar

May 9, 2012 02:14 am at 2:14 am |
  25. OffCenter

@ getreal.

Here is how i would draw the line. Two consenting sentient adults who are not directly related. Animal arent sentient unless your dog is way smarter then mine. No man boy since a boy isnt an adult. No mother son since they share too much genetic information. Wasnt that hard.

Of course every one knew a long time ago (20 years) that it spit in the face of God for a black woman and a white man to get married too. So yeah we have a great track record on know what God really thinks about marriage.

May 9, 2012 02:53 am at 2:53 am |