After marriage announcement, Obama makes money pitch
May 9th, 2012

After marriage announcement, Obama makes money pitch

(CNN) - Hours after endorsing same-sex marriage in an interview with ABC News Wednesday, President Barack Obama sent an explanation of the decision to supporters, ending with a request to donate to his re-election campaign.

"Today, I was asked a direct question and gave a direct answer: I believe that same-sex couples should be allowed to marry," Obama wrote in the email.

READ MORE: <a href="">1600 Report: Obama's LGBT campaign contributors

He went on: "I respect the beliefs of others, and the right of religious institutions to act in accordance with their own doctrines. But I believe that in the eyes of the law, all Americans should be treated equally. And where states enact same-sex marriage, no federal act should invalidate them."

The last line was a call for donations: "More than 1.9 million people like you power this campaign. If you can, please donate today," Obama wrote while linking to a form for giving money to his campaign.

Also see:

Federal inmate's sizable West Virginia presidential vote tally

Santorum explains late night endorsement on late night TV

Bachmann a Swiss citizen?

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama • Same-sex marriage
  1. gt

a very sad day for america....

May 9, 2012 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  2. Gurgyl

I am going to send some money...please count on me....

May 9, 2012 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  3. !ST SGT

This only proves that Obama will say anything, do anything and the biggest liar this country has ever know only does things to gain votes and money to run his ill conceived campaign on. Do not be deceived this man is not good for America. if you think he is for you. GOOD. THEN it is you who will pay the consequences of his being re-elected. The man is too dangerous to our constitution and he listens to George Soros way too much.

May 9, 2012 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  4. nintex

Good for you, President Obama. All Americans deserve the same rights; a person's sexual orientation has nothing to do with his or her rights as a citizen.

May 9, 2012 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  5. Jon

Hi, I'm Barack Obama and I lost all credibility today and please reserve the right to call me a flip flopper. Thank you.

May 9, 2012 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  6. Odin999

Pandering to Gays. It is sad that President Obama has no morals.

May 9, 2012 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  7. Jeff

Typical, say anything to get a donation. He is worried as should be. He is one and done. Even the media can't help this time!

May 9, 2012 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  8. fred ca

This is great news for gay marriage supporters. He will give this his total attention...just as he did for his immigration reform pledge in 2008. Of course, with a fillibuster-proof Senate he could not find the time to get around to that. So I suspect that he will not get around to the gay marriage thing until the 3rd term. That is ok...all who support gay marriage need to give and give and give money to the most cynical and morally shallow president of all time. And excuse him if he moves on quickly from this issue. He has more ponies with shiny objects to pursue for money and votes from those who are easily distracted by side issues as America sinks into oblivion. A true re-election motto would be 'oboes 2012...forward with pandering to everyone'.

May 9, 2012 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  9. Dan Delepine and Delepine Family

The Chriat of GOD is speaking to us all. Let all of my children have the LOVE of all of my children. Equal rights to my creation. It is about time you awake.

May 9, 2012 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  10. Lizzie

I support gay marriage now pay up. Great.

May 9, 2012 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  11. Mad Ed

Another classic "flip-flop." Anybody rememver hin saying yesterday he was disappointed in NC's vote on same-sex marriage? You bright people who elected him (voters and NON-VOTERS), what do you think he will do on other issues if he gets another term?

May 9, 2012 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  12. April

Wow–what a surprise–isn't that really what the whole phoney show of support for gays was all about- his bundlers -(big campaign cash donors) told the president to do it–that is who he values–the millionaires–the elite– and his distancing himself from gays was getting under their skin! He uses everyone!!!

May 10, 2012 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  13. Sydnium S. Adolsen

Same gender marriage will make him drop too low in the polls in the opposing team, like me and Romney.

May 10, 2012 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  14. MAUDE

this world is gone mad. This concept is not natural.

May 10, 2012 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  15. Four and The Door

So on this gay marriage, Obama was for it ( pre-Senator) before he was against it ( 2008 campaign ) before he was for it ( Obama/ Biden 2012 ).

Romney 2012. A man with consistent values.

May 10, 2012 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  16. Living in the REAL world

Obama: OK, I did what you wanted me to do. Now send me money.

On sale today, one empty suit of a President.

May 10, 2012 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  17. ThinkAgain

Here's the point that the President was trying to make: In the eyes of the law, marriage is a legal contract. You DON'T have to be married in a religious ceremony to be recognized as having entered into this particular type of legal contract.

The religion part is purely optional – and by allowing LGBT couples to marry, this will in NO WAY force any religious group to perform these types of marriages.

The problem, of course, is all these religious types who can't handle anyone believing differently that they do. I can only conclude that their supposed "faith" is mighty weak, indeed.

May 10, 2012 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  18. Chris NJ

so, it is all for money then. Hmm.. I don't understand this president. he hates achievers but in bed always with hollywood people. it is all about money.. money can buy you anything. like soros, cloney, etc.. where is your word mr. president.. money buys your honor..

May 10, 2012 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  19. james iwara

Obama should ve not thought given support to same marriage is a means of gaining crowd to himself because it's unGodly and the bible recorded it as an abormination.

May 10, 2012 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  20. choice

It's no surprise! I'm just disappointed that with all Pres. Obama's intelligence he'd use what some Americans have faced ridicule for to score politically. But again, that may be no surprise. After all, he is firstly a Chicago politician, a good one at that. He could have done WAY BETTER in this his first term, but having been elected by ALL Americans with such expectations of change, he's allowed the left drive his presidency. Only after the midterms did we truly see him try to be the POTUS, not just the PODNC

May 10, 2012 02:41 am at 2:41 am |
  21. souptwins

Do you suppose these two could be connected? Hmmm? Rich celeb's and gay rights seem to go hand in hand. I'm sure it's a coincidence.

May 10, 2012 02:47 am at 2:47 am |
  22. TBONE

I used to believe in this president that he could really turn our country around, but my feeling is that including myself he has let us down along with this current Congress. When I hear how he has changed his stance on this issue, and then out trying to raise money, I see how flawed he is. I am not a Republican, and I fell also being an Independent Moderate, that he should stay out of social issues and save them after the election. Stay focused on the economy and jobs, and so forth, but I feel that he had 3-4 years to get his stance on Gays and gay marriage and he basically as a last minute stunt tries to do this to get votes. I think should left up to the states and not the government to decide. We have too many more important things to worry about. People can agree with me or not. I say its just a piece of paper and government cannot govern morals. I say whether people are gay or not, I think should be left to the individuals. However, what the president did by repealing Don't Ask Don't Tell, was the right decision and should be left there. Doing this the last minute, is a sign he is desperate and knows his campaign is in trouble. I don't believe in the polls. With so many people including myself out of work, I think that if the Economy is still in the tank like it is 6 months from now, Romney will win by a narrow margin.

May 10, 2012 04:29 am at 4:29 am |
  23. Jolly

So I will endorse gay marriage after payments? Yes my faith is on sale just bought evolution!

May 10, 2012 05:05 am at 5:05 am |
  24. OCVoterinCA

Go FORWARD. I donated today and will donate next week. I will continue to donate to Obama campaign until November. I am so proud of President Obama courage for civility.

FORWARD
    2012

May 10, 2012 05:43 am at 5:43 am |
  25. roger d

When will the President garner the political courage to take a decisive stand on the jobs and the economy; WE'RE NOT STUPID; we're hurting and starving for results to get our lives back on track.

When America is working again, then talk to us about other issues.

May 10, 2012 05:59 am at 5:59 am |