May 9th, 2012

Obama announces he supports same-sex marriage

(CNN) - President Barack Obama said Wednesday he supports same-sex marriage, raising the political stakes on an issue over which Americans are evenly split.

The announcement was the first by a sitting president and put Obama squarely at odds with presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney.

FULL STORY

Filed under: President Obama • Same-sex marriage
  1. Arizona

This is a man I will gladly vote for!! Thank you Mr. President for having the courage to stand up for justice!

May 9, 2012 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  2. daniel

dis is politics

May 9, 2012 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  3. Knack

I was thinking about this since Biden had say the same thing. I am not gay nor would I call myself a Liberal or Conservative. I am on the line about things and don’t need to pick a party. This has been an issue for a very long time now. Gays getting married for benefits or whatever. Eventually laws will be passed in support. Some states have already passed this into law. Just like history people have the power to change the country. Let gays get married and be done with this issue. I don’t see how this is bad for the country. Does anyone?

May 9, 2012 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  4. Hootinanny Yum Yum

Why is it when Romney changes position on an issue he is "flip-flopping"?

But when Obama changes position, he is "evolving"?

May 9, 2012 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  5. Bill

@!ST SGT

Your ignorant, uneducated, and racist comments are a perfect example of what is wrong with the GOP and its shrinking base. You must live in Mississippi or South Carolina. What a loser.

May 9, 2012 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  6. Guess What

who wouldnt know, its the same story, oh I will agree to get votes, but obama has a problem, an inmate in texas almost beat him in the Great State Of West By God Virginia

May 9, 2012 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  7. Vanessa

@obama 2012-bend forward America. U are mistaken if you believe this will alienate the hispanic vote. This only makes us prouder to stand behind him!! very proud to say, si se puede! we move FORWARD with President Barack Hussein Obama!

May 9, 2012 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  8. Knack

I would rather vote for a guy who has the balls to say how he feels rather than a man who flips back and forth on his feelings. Romney is a joke. Not to mention a Moron. I mean Mormon.

May 9, 2012 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  9. Sniffit

"Its bad when even the animal world knows more than we do."

Indeed. Animals exhibit gay behavior all the time...both for pleasure and for various evolutionary reasons, such as overpopulation, etc. Please go educate yourself and THEN talk.

May 9, 2012 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  10. Micheal Chimeziem Nwaigwe

Why should he say such,

May 9, 2012 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  11. judy

ol mitt just wants multiple marriages. Obama 2012

May 9, 2012 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  12. George muriuki

Wooh Obama u r lost.how dare can u support ths dirty issue?

May 9, 2012 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  13. David

Okay, so can you say "calculated"? You can't start a campaign season with trumping up charges about an attack on women and then change your own position on an issue and use it as a political play and not get call "disingenuous". Barak Obama was thought to be someone who was to bring people together, but I am sorry, he is showing that he will try to get people to fight it out on unimportant issues just to make political hay. We need the economy to recover with less strings attached, and we need to stay away from issues during that aren't important. I am a republican and don't approve of gay marriage, but honestly, I would almost want to say who cares, let em have it so we can get on to real issues, but then my sense of responsability comes into play and says, NO! I shouldn't give away one issue just to move on to other issues, even if it really is a non issue. Let's deal FIRST with the issues affecting the economy. Get rid of Obamacare. Get more strict on illegal, (oops, bad word) immigration, stop creating strings and obsticles for small business and families, and show some dag gone leadership for America. Work on Alternative energy, but don't throw away the kitchen sink on energy that is already known to be inefficient and work with the stuff that is known to be stable and good. Come on Americans, please see through this smoke screen that Obama is putting into place. He thinks you are fools and are easily fooled. Don't prove him right!

May 9, 2012 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  14. Sulaiman

I think America is heading to self moral & decency destructions

May 9, 2012 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  15. Boytjie

Thank you, Mr. President!

May 9, 2012 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  16. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Folks ignore the Sgts. last and the Bendovers. They re-fuel when you acknowledge their ignorance.

May 9, 2012 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  17. BLKMANinAmerica

OK, please note that was a "personal" affirmation. Now American HATERS now WHAT?

May 9, 2012 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  18. vic , nashville ,tn

Politically stupid move, As a leader smart move

May 9, 2012 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  19. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Thank you Mr. President. LET FREEDOM RING, LET FREEDOM RING FOR ALL. I'm not gay or lesbian but this community has been denied for too long. That 50% approval is still growing. Dick Cheney should be thanking you for not doing the same for his daughter and her partner.

May 9, 2012 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  20. Kichere mwita

I never expecting this could happem b'se I in England now USA
    GOD 4GIVE US

May 9, 2012 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  21. Name chinedu

obama will fail this election like his counterpart sarkozy.

May 9, 2012 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  22. abubakar musa

This is inhumane and animalistic.

May 9, 2012 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  23. Palanda

Mr. President.. You had this Election.. You did not have to do this.. This was the only thing that would cost you my vote.
    God has been to good to you for you to turn on Him like this. "You know better".. It not worth what it's going to cost you in the long run. I pray God have Mercy on your Soul. You will be suprised how many votes this will cost you.

May 9, 2012 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  24. Ariku

You wanna try GOD?

May 9, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  25. freetruth

@Hootinanny Yum Yum
    because Obama admits that he has changed his mind, while Romney pretends as though he's always held the new position.

May 9, 2012 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |