CNN’s GUT CHECK for May 9, 2012
May 9th, 2012

CNN’s GUT CHECK for May 9, 2012

CNN's GUT CHECK | for May 9, 2012 | 5 p.m.
- n. a pause to assess the state, progress or condition of the political news cycle

BREAKING… OBAMA’s GAME CHANGE: In an interview with Robin Roberts of ABC News, President Obama announces he supports gay marriage: “I have been going through an evolution on this issue. I have always been adamant that gay and lesbian Americans should be treated fairly and equally. And that's why in addition to everything we've done in this administration, rolling back don't ask, don't tell so that outstanding Americans can defend our country. I've stood on the side of broader equality for the LGBT community. And I hesitated on gay marriage in part because I thought civil unions would be sufficient, that that was something that would give people hospital visitation rights and other elements that we take for granted. And I was sensitive to the fact that for a lot of people, you know, the word marriage was something that evokes very powerful traditions, religious beliefs and so forth. … At a certain point, I've just concluded that for me personally, it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married.”

Mitt Romney at an event in Oklahoma City: “My view is marriage itself is relationship between a man and a woman and that's my own preference. I know other people have differing views, but I have the same view that I've had since running for office.”

GLAAD President Herndon Graddick, “The arc of history today bent a little closer to equality for every American.”

Nancy Pelosi, in a Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee e-mail, “Isn't it great? President Obama just announced that he supports marriage equality for all Americans. He joins many of us who have long supported marriage equality.”

National Organization for Marriage President Brian Brown: “The definition of marriage was already headed for the ballot in four states this fall; now it will be one of the defining issues of the presidential election. No state in this country has ever voted for gay marriage."

Alex Castellanos, GOP consultant and CNN contributor, “This is going to have some political cost to him. But I am proud of him for doing it.”

Bob Vander Plaats, President of the Family Leader, in a phone interview with CNN's Shannon Travis: “They were already fired up to get rid of Obama. This will only make them more on fire to get rid of Obama. And if I’m Romney today, I’m smiling. Because everybody knows the base has not been all that inspired about Romney. But Romney has been clear, throughout the campaign, that he supports one man, one woman marriage… This decision may have made Barack Obama a one-term president.”

North Carolina voters, on constitutional amendment to provide that marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in the state:

FOR                61.0%      1,303,893
AGAINST     39.0%         832,283

TRAIL TRIVIA
(Answer below)

What president made Mother’s Day a national holiday on this day in the early 1900s?

MARK (@PrestonCNN) & MICHELLE (@MJaconiCNN)
What caught our eye today in politics

If you cover politics long enough, something becomes oddly amusing: Washington is perpetually shocked over election results. On Tuesday you saw it as dazed congressmen on Capitol Hill walked around in a stupor, realizing that Sen. Dick Lugar, a respected institution, was going to lose his seat.

Why? Because the adage is true: “All politics is local.” That is why these statements, all from people wanting to serve in the same institution at the same time, caught our eye:

U.S. Sen. Joe Manchin, D-West Virginia, after winning his Democratic primary: “I will continue to work hard to stop the political bickering and bring Democrats, independents and Republicans together so we can put our country first and do what is right for the next generation.”

U.S. Sen. Scott Brown, R-Massachusetts, in a new campaign ad, entitled “Independent”: “60 Minutes” news clip of CBS reporter Leslie Stahl: "He's turned out to be unpredictably independent, and beholden to no one." BROWN: "We have more work to do on getting this economy moving again. Working together, we can restore the American Dream for all of us."

U.S. Sen. Richard Lugar, R-Indiana, after losing his primary: “Aggressive partisanship deepens cynicism, sharpens political vendettas and depletes the national reserve of good will that is critical to our survival in hard times. Certainly this was understood by President Reagan, who worked with Democrats frequently and showed flexibility that would be ridiculed today."

Indiana State Treasurer Richard Mourdock, on CNN’s “Starting Point” after defeating Lugar in the Republican primary: “I'm a huge student of American history and I recognize this is one of those times where there's great polarization between the two parties. And frankly the ideas for which the parties are working are really at opposite ends of the spectrum. I don't think there's going to be a lot of successful compromise. Hence you have the deadlock we have today. What I've said about compromise, I hope to build a conservative majority so bipartisanship becomes Democrats joining Republicans.”

the LEDE
Did you miss it?

Leading CNNPolitics: Obama says he supports same-sex marriage
President Barack Obama, who previously said his views on the issue were "evolving," said Wednesday he supports same-sex marriage.

Leading Drudge: Now Embraces Gay Marriage
President Obama today announced that he now supports same-sex marriage, reversing his longstanding opposition amid growing pressure from the Democratic base and even his own vice president.

Leading HuffPo: I Do
In a nod to a dramatic shift in public opinion, Barack Obama on Wednesday became the first sitting president to announce his support for same-sex marriage.

Leading Politico: Obama backs gay marriage
President Barack Obama said Wednesday that he now supports gay marriage, saying “I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married.”

Leading New York Times: Obama Says Same-Sex Marriage Should Be Legal
President Obama on Wednesday ended nearly two years of “evolving” on the issue of same-sex marriage by publicly endorsing it in a television interview, taking a definitive stand on one of the most contentious and politically charged social issues of the day.

TRAIL MOMENTS
The political bites of the day

– We are both practicing Christians –
PRESIDENT OBAMA IN AN ABC NEWS INTERVIEW WITH ROBIN ROBERTS: “This is something that, you know, we’ve talked about over the years and she, you know, she feels the same way, she feels the same way that I do. And that is that, in the end the values that I care most deeply about and she cares most deeply about is how we treat other people and, you know, I, you know, we are both practicing Christians and obviously this position may be considered to put us at odds with the views of others but, you know, when we think about our faith, the thing at root that we think about is, not only Christ sacrificing himself on our behalf, but it’s also the Golden Rule, you know, treat others the way you would want to be treated. And I think that’s what we try to impart to our kids and that’s what motivates me as president and I figure the most consistent I can be in being true to those precepts, the better I’ll be as a as a dad and a husband and hopefully the better I’ll be as president.”

– Will bringing religion into his reasoning hurt him? –
ERICK ERICKSON, CNN CONTRIBUTOR, TO GUT CHECK: “I think it makes him look weak and under duress to do it a day after North Carolina and a day before the Clooney fundraiser. Will it matter? I don't know anyone who thought Obama thought otherwise, but his statement bringing Jesus into it may hurt him with Hispanic voters.”

– Obama reflects on his children’s input in his decision –
PRESIDENT OBAMA IN AN ABC NEWS INTERVIEW WITH ROBIN ROBERTS: “It’s interesting, some of this is also generational. You know when I go to college campuses, sometimes I talk to college Republicans who think that I have terrible policies on the economy, on foreign policy, but are very clear that when it comes to same sex equality or, you know, sexual orientation that they believe in equality. They are much more comfortable with it. You know, Malia and Sasha, they have friends whose parents are same-sex couples. There have been times where Michelle and I have been sitting around the dinner table and we’re talking about their friends and their parents and Malia and Sasha, it wouldn’t dawn on them that somehow their friends’ parents would be treated differently. It doesn’t make sense to them and frankly, that’s the kind of thing that prompts a change in perspective.”

– Rubio: I agreed with the old Barack Obama –
SEN. MARCO RUBIO REACTS TO OBAMA’S ANNOUCEMENT IN AN INTERVIEW WITH CNN’S KATE BOLDUAN: “I thought he already did. That’s what Joe Biden said. So he now agrees with his vice president. … I've disagreed with him on that position. I agreed with the old Barack Obama.”

TOP TWEETS
What stopped us in 140 characters or less

TRIVIA ANSWER
Woodrow Wilson gave his mother the ultimate present on this day in 1914: He issued a presidential proclamation that officially recognized the first national Mother’s Day.

"Now, Therefore, I, Woodrow Wilson, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the said Joint Resolution, do hereby direct the government officials to display the United States flag on all government buildings and do invite the people of the United States to display the flag at their homes or other suitable places on the second Sunday in May as a public expression of our love and reverence for the mothers of our country,” read the presidential proclamation.

Since Wilson’s first proclamation it has become customary for a president to issue a Mother’s Day proclamation. In 2011, President Obama issued a proclamation that spoke at length about the challenges facing women who are raising a family.

“Mothers are the rocks of our families and a foundation in our communities. In gratitude for their generous love, patient counsel, and lifelong support, let us pay respect to the women who carry out the hard work of motherhood with skill and grace, and let us remember those mothers who, though no longer with us, inspire us still,” Obama wrote.

The movement to get the holiday recognized started in 1912 with the establishment of the Mother’s Day International Association headed by Anna Jarvis of Webster, West Virginia. Interestingly enough, by the 1920s, Jarvis has become disgusted with the commercialization.

“A printed card means nothing except that you are too lazy to write to the woman who has done more for you than anyone in the world. And candy! You take a box to Mother — and then eat most of it yourself. A pretty sentiment,” she was known to tell people.

Whether you buy a card, candies or nothing at all, this is your four-day warning from Gut Check. Mother’s Day is Sunday.

GOT NEWS?
Our inbox awaits: gutcheck@cnn.com
Anyone can sign up for Gut Check by emailing gutcheck@cnn.com
Tips or comments? Send them to Michelle; send complaints to Preston, because he is already in a bad mood. We also want to give a shout out to Dan Merica, who runs our Twitter account @gutCheckCNN and enriches this product every single day.

Filed under: CNN's Gut Check
  1. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Shep Smith of Fox foreign owned media says the president is now in the 21st century. Mittens and the GOP are permanent residents of the 19th century.

May 9, 2012 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  2. reatte texas

CAN YOU SAY VOTE GETTER THAT IS ALL IT IS ABOUT LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could care less about the subject but he needs votes,votes,votes LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 9, 2012 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  3. Ed1

May 9, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  4. Devon

We all know it was Mittster who advized The Prez on this. Willard should take credit.

May 9, 2012 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  5. NVa Native

May 9, 2012 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  6. CBR

Glad that marriage between a man and woman is Romney's view. That should not preclude his willingness to allow those who think differently to have the rights and privileges given to most Americans. To give people rights does not mean that this is your preference nor does it mean that this is the only option. The country needs to get past this idea.

May 9, 2012 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  7. Obama 2012 - BEND Forward America, take another 4 long years of FAILURE

Obama's decision to come out in favor of gay marriage is going to cost a LOT of Democrats their seats come November. Just when you thought the Democrats couldn't get more out of touch with America, they prove you wrong. Democrats think San Francisco is Main Street America!!

Obama is now in the process of leading the Democrat Party into the desert for 40 years. I hope you all enjoy the walk.

May 9, 2012 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  8. Rickster

"324,000 women dropped out of the nation’s civilian labor force in March and April as the number of women not in the labor force hit an all-time historical high of 53,321,000, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics."
    -------------
    Looks like Obama's War on Women is continuing unabated.

May 9, 2012 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  9. Sniffit

"That should not preclude his willingness to allow those who think differently to have the rights and privileges given to most Americans."

Oh, but yes it should. You see, they desperately need our laws, government and legal systems to institutionalize and memorialize their self-declared moral superiority to groups of people to whom they have declared themselves superior. If Deputy Doublethink fails to clearly, loudly and vehemently condemn gay marriage and gay rights and join in the incoming hate-circus, he very much risks squandering whatever enthusiasm boost this gifted him with the extremist right wing fundamentalist Christian base.

May 9, 2012 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  10. bestchill

west v.a if you wasnt your cousin sons and daughters you would might have a brain 1960

May 9, 2012 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  11. Lionel

Obama is a brave man. America, he needs your support.

Latinos for Obama 2012

May 9, 2012 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  12. lreed580

He had intended to announce this just prior to the Democratic convention for those in the media who feel a need to criticize on the timing.

May 9, 2012 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  13. gg

so mitt will pick and chose who will have rites,whats next he,ll chose your religion,what car you,ll drive,where and when you go on vacation,maybe he should look up the word freedom

May 9, 2012 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  14. Penobscot

Flip flopping panderer.

Pander, flip, pander, flop. Obama's first question was, "will this get me votes and make the election about social issues?" He was told yes. And so, the discussion becomes about gay marriage instead of what a worthless president he is. It's all part of the strategy. The LGBT community should be ashamed that Obama is using them as political pawns.

May 9, 2012 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  15. The GOP opens mouth and inserts foot

This country is full of haters, and it takes brave people to shine the light on the haters' stupidity.

Once, blacks and whites couldn't go into the same stores or eat at the same lunch counters.
    Once, women weren't allowed to vote.
    Once, there were slaves in this country.
    Once, once, once...

Sure, the examples could go on forever, but the point is moot. Equality should be equal for everyone. This president understands that and is doing what's right.

And you're a man against same-sex marriage, then don't marry another man.
    If you're a woman against same-sex marriage, don't marry another woman.

It's a very simple solution.

May 9, 2012 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  16. Nija

May God have mercy on us.

May 9, 2012 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  17. Keeping it Real

NVa Native "Fox Followers love to hate, and they love to hate our President more than anything else."

Or, perhaps they hate the way the policies are ruining the country? I truly believe Obama has a Statist agenda. It's no secret, his actions over the years, along with his own words, label himself as such. It's that agenda, and the policies that promote it, that people hate.

May 9, 2012 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  18. An African American who just changed their vote

, I am an African American female and president Obama just lost my vote. I had planned to vote for him again, but no way. The Health Care and Tax Debate will be around for forever. Politics will forever debate this argument but the issue of gay marriage is a moral debate that will impact the next generation forever. I am a Christian who happens to be a democrat but after day I see myself changing parties. In my opinion Mr. Obama just committed political suicide with African American Christians. During the last election "The Black Church"(African-American Christians) fought for votes and encouraged their congregations to get out and vote. I don't foresee this happening in the upcoming election. I personal plan to do my best to get the word out to every church that I can to "Stand for what is right". It is no longer about supporting our race as African-Americans but it is about letting the next generation know right from wrong. I Hope that every Christian across the nation will ban together to stand for what is right. The Republican candidate should use this opportunity to seize the day with Christians everywhere, especially African-American Christians.

Sincerely,
    An African-American who just changed their vote!!!!!

May 9, 2012 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  19. Anonymous

Know who else support gay marriage? Over half the country.

May 9, 2012 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  20. hmabry

Well, good for you, Mitt. The ONE thing you've managed to stand firm on, is the least important thing happening in our country right now.

May 9, 2012 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  21. Tubby the Tuba Texas

This is probably the ONLY issue that Romney has not FLIP-FLOPPED on since running for the Presidential nomination. What a joke Romney really is!! Romney would never have the manhood to step up to the plate for these groups of people. Be a leader means doing what is right, NO what is popular!

May 9, 2012 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  22. Marie MD

The flip flopper's family is into polygamy. How dare anyone only marry one person at a time. His grandaddy can't be proud of him with one wife only with no dignity (his words not mine) as she has never worked a day in her life outside the home.

May 9, 2012 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  23. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

We in the US have a great founding document in the US Constitution because it allows new laws to be enacted based on the change of events and situations. This goes of for war and technology as well as the social climate. Think about it because at one point slavery existed and segregation was acceptable to many years after that.

May 9, 2012 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  24. Jersey Girl

@ Ed1: " Always going after votes go. Go tiger flip flop or is it flop flip whatever you are the man."

I am confused; are u talking about Mitt or the President? You know, Mitt has totally flip-flopped on every subject at hand, except perhaps for the same-sex issue. And the President has done so on one or two issues, therefore the confusion....

May 9, 2012 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  25. Cynthia L.

The United States should not be discriminating against any of its citizens. It's not what we are supposed to be about and goes against our founding principles of equality under our laws. Period.
    The President came to the same conclusion. And, life goes on.

May 10, 2012 12:35 am at 12:35 am |