Federal inmate's sizable West Virginia presidential vote tally
May 9th, 2012

Federal inmate's sizable West Virginia presidential vote tally

(CNN) – An incarcerated 53-year-old man is beating President Barack Obama in eight West Virginia counties following the state's Democratic Presidential Primary Tuesday, according to the latest figures from the West Virginia secretary of state.

Keith Judd, who is currently serving a 210-month sentence at a correctional facility in Texarkana, Texas for extortion, is trailing the president 42.28% to 57.72% in the state based on the unofficial vote totals, but is leading in eight counties.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Judd only needs 15% of the vote to qualify for at least one delegate at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina this summer, according to The Charleston Gazette. His expected release date is June 24, 2013, according to the Federal Bureau of Prisons.

Obama has not had electoral success in West Virginia, a reliably red state in presidential politics. He was crushed by then-Sen. Hillary Clinton in the state's Democratic presidential primary in May 2008 by a 67% to 26% margin. And he lost the state to Sen. John McCain, the then-Republican presidential nominee, 56% to 43% in the November 2008 general election.

The Mountain State's Democratic Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin and junior Sen. Joe Manchin have also recently distanced themselves from the president ahead of their 2012 elections.

In Tuesday's election, presumptive GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney received nearly 70% of the vote, according to the latest unofficial figures, while former candidate Rick Santorum garnered over 12% support and Rep. Ron Paul captured just over 11% of the vote.

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama • West Virginia
  1. Dot

You need to update....The convict WON!!! 99,952 to Obama 68,157. per the newspaper w/all polls reporting

May 9, 2012 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  2. Ol' Yeller

@ Bend over America
    So now you are accusing Obama of keeping his promises?

May 9, 2012 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  3. Thomas

@ Mitt Romney2012 Bend over America and bring back 8 years of GW Bush success !

Thanks for reminding me again !

May 9, 2012 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  4. Joseph

The other interesting thing is Judd got 57,000 votes while Romney only got 58,000 votes.

May 9, 2012 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  5. Tom Jones

To: Dominican mama 4 Obama,
    If you were as educated as you act like you are, you would know that anyone can be put on the "ballot' as long as they pay the fee to do so. (by the way it's called a ballot not a voting register) This man is in a Texas Federal Prison, he paid the fee and was allowed to be put on the ballot. Just as you would be, if you paid the requested fee. The people that cast their vote for him knew that he wasn't going to win, they were sending a message, "anybody but Obama". Last time I checked this is still a free country and citizens can vote for anybody they wish. When I cast my vote and saw his name by Obamas, I had no idea who he was or where he was from, but it gave me great joy to select his name!!!

May 9, 2012 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  6. Wake up people

Shut up talking to me 4 or bend over or whatever you are going by these days. I repeat, I have never seen a president so disrespected in my life. Even that loser Bush that got into office after stealing the election was always referred to as President, but not President Obama he has been called every name in the book. Including the N word. Spare me the faux outrage.

Btw, during the last Bush term I was fighting to keep my job. A fight I and many others lost.

OBAMA 2012!

May 9, 2012 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  7. G Jack

Okay are these the Taxpayers that will defeat President Obama? That's great! No worries!

May 9, 2012 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  8. Mary

I am embarrassed for you West Virginia....Thank God the rest of the country is sane!!!!

May 9, 2012 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  9. Richard

Bunch of uneducated, inept, racist red neck hicks!

May 9, 2012 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  10. Ol' Yeller

If you had/have student loans- vote Obama
    If you were ever discriminated against- vote Obama
    If you have ever been broke- vote Obama
    If you believe in equal opportunity- vote Obama
    If you believe we are a better country the more we help each other- vote Obama

If you have money in an offshore account- vote romney
    If you have never had to worry a day of your life about a financial situation- vote romney
    If you truly believe that he saved the auto industry (in direct opposition to his op-ed in NYT-08)- vote romney
    If you really feel that a return to the bush policies will heal this ciuntry- vote romney
    If all your friends own sports franchises, golf courses, and look down on the poor as 'peasants'- vote romney

May 9, 2012 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  11. Another Day in the RW Idiot Mines

It's pretty funny how the desperate rightwingers grasp for straws in their lame attempts to pretend Rmoney has a chance in November. It's freekin' W VA people!

May 9, 2012 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  12. Bill

If he were running as a Republican, he would have beaten Mitt Romney.

May 9, 2012 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  13. Dave

I used to hang around WV and many people are very racist, some loony and few practice incest, no BS a guy was banging his mom.

May 9, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  14. Erik

This is why West Virginia shouldn't be able to vote. They can't read or think. Even their newest Democratic senator is unsure if he'd vote for Obama based on the economy in WV despite the fact that he was governor during Obama's term. Talk about deflection! Obama will win and should. He's cleaning up Bush's mess pretty good, the economy is moving forward out of the trenches, and war is ending.

May 9, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  15. Ol' Yeller

@Dr K
    How come I see posts like yours everywhere; lamenting about how you voted for Obama last time, but never will again. Then you go on to describe in fox news terms using fox news talking points a bunch of drivel about the President being the same as a convict blah, frickin', blah, blah, blah... but never really saying what has changed to make you flip flop like Mitt Romney? That is so lame... you never voted for a Democrat in your life. You are not fooling anyone.

May 9, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  16. Jim Brody

Sez more about this felon and the GOPers of VW who voted for him than it does about the President.

May 9, 2012 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  17. johnborg

Honestly, I'm a Democrat in PA and didn't vote for Obama because I didn't vote for anyone. I figured he's the only one running, so why waste my time. Apparently in WV a convict was running. I probably still wouldn't have voted unless I wanted to make a mockery of the primary system as these people have done.

May 9, 2012 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  18. daniel wing

To me this just shows the ignorance of these people and how poorly uneducated they really are. I've spent some time in west virginia in my life and i can't say anything good about its people. I guess when you live in a secluded mountain town all of your life you loose the abiltiy to think for yourself. This is an example of group think. Good job west virgina for throwing away your votes, just shows how stupid you all really are. I hope all you coal minirs who vote for this idiot get laid off and replaced by temps who do your job for 50% less because you think unions are bad because your republican leaders told you then are. Enjoy getting raped by your politicians

May 9, 2012 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  19. Rickster

lol....wow, an out-of-state prison inmate garners 40% of the democrat primary vote! What a loser Obama is......Romney is going to win in a landslide in November.

May 9, 2012 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  20. Obama 2012 - BEND Forward America, take another 4 long years of FAILURE

Wake up people
    =============================================================================================

It appears I was right and you STILL are in a drunken coma. This post proves you do exactly what you accuse others of doing. Yes, you are a lying hypocrite but I already knew you were a Democrat from the previous post.

May 9, 2012 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  21. Merlin

"It just proves that inbreeding causes strange voting trends." - I wonder if the poster who said this realizes that in West Virginia, Democrats outnumber Republicans by a 2 to 1 margin.

May 9, 2012 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  22. RAB

I am embarrassed by my fellow West Virginians– not because so many voted aginst Obama– that is their right–but because they did it so mindlessly. Hillary beat Obama in WV in 2008. Are these the same voters? If so, did they find Hillary's policies so similar to a convicted convict's that they voted for both? Or is it just anti-obama no matter what. What an abuse of the sacred privilege ot voting.

May 9, 2012 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  23. WV resident

JIM with 2 MM's need I say more

May 9, 2012 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  24. MG

@daniel wing. Great grammatical structure to your post, and you're calling WV "poorly uneducated." So, does that mean we're well educated. We could be poorly educated, or undereducated, but not "poorly uneducated." Also, did you LOSE the ability to distinguish between LOSE and LOOSE or did you just get LOOSE from the mental home? I'm sure many coal MINERS know the difference. I love it when people who comment on how dumb WV is can barely read and write themselves. Pot meet kettle.

May 9, 2012 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  25. Marley

Wow. Even with Rick Santorium out of the race, people are still voting for him over Mormon Bishop Mittens? LOL

May 9, 2012 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |