Federal inmate's sizable West Virginia presidential vote tally
May 9th, 2012

Federal inmate's sizable West Virginia presidential vote tally

(CNN) – An incarcerated 53-year-old man is beating President Barack Obama in eight West Virginia counties following the state's Democratic Presidential Primary Tuesday, according to the latest figures from the West Virginia secretary of state.

Keith Judd, who is currently serving a 210-month sentence at a correctional facility in Texarkana, Texas for extortion, is trailing the president 42.28% to 57.72% in the state based on the unofficial vote totals, but is leading in eight counties.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Judd only needs 15% of the vote to qualify for at least one delegate at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina this summer, according to The Charleston Gazette. His expected release date is June 24, 2013, according to the Federal Bureau of Prisons.

Obama has not had electoral success in West Virginia, a reliably red state in presidential politics. He was crushed by then-Sen. Hillary Clinton in the state's Democratic presidential primary in May 2008 by a 67% to 26% margin. And he lost the state to Sen. John McCain, the then-Republican presidential nominee, 56% to 43% in the November 2008 general election.

The Mountain State's Democratic Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin and junior Sen. Joe Manchin have also recently distanced themselves from the president ahead of their 2012 elections.

In Tuesday's election, presumptive GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney received nearly 70% of the vote, according to the latest unofficial figures, while former candidate Rick Santorum garnered over 12% support and Rep. Ron Paul captured just over 11% of the vote.

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama • West Virginia
  1. BLKMANinAmerica

OK.....................so clearly everyone is aware WHY this is given W.V. racist history. But my point is WHO really should give a rats puttie? I guess this good news for repuks.

May 9, 2012 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  2. Roger Ogilvy Thornhill

I'm guessing Keith Judd is not from the same genetic stock as Obama. My family is from West Virginia. I know how the wind blows there – usually straight through the ears.

May 9, 2012 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  3. Michael

Who really cares about West Virginia, Oklahoma, Tennessee etc. ?? They are all inbred morons with no thought given to the facts. They are what I call "repeaters". Just repeating what they hear since they cannot think for them selves.

May 9, 2012 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  4. george of the jungle

as long as obama wins they can throw away their votes if they want. Obama 2012

May 9, 2012 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  5. Tom

I truly wish people would stop using the President's race to booster their support or opposition to him. With any election, we voters should ask ourselves if we see ourselves better or worse off than when our elected official took office and if you agree/disagree with the direction they are leading us. I didn't vote for the President the first time...I'm not sure if I will vote for him this time, but if I don't vote for him, it won't be because of his race, his political affiliation, it will be based on whether or not I agree with the direction he is leading this Country and if I feel my family and I will be better off under his leadership, or another candidate (granted...we don't really seem to have a lot of choices this election!). Just some food for thought...

May 9, 2012 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  6. R

See Obama what happens when you lie constantly and pour our Tax Dollars into your Campaign bundlers pockets???

Good Riddance...

May 9, 2012 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  7. DaveSEMass

Headline says all. West Virginia – Matrimonium Tui Soror!

May 9, 2012 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  8. Ray E. (Georgia)

A slow News Day Eh? The people in West Virgina are being hammered by Obama's Policies trying to shut down the Coal Mines. I suspect the Nation will follow West Virginia in November. Fool me once, Shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Good bye Obama.

May 9, 2012 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  9. Larry IN Houston

LOL – I've noticed when people ask me where I'm from( from the way I talk) I tell them "I'm from the Mountain State" and they reply : You mean Colorado ?? lol the license plate used to show : "The Mountain State" for 50 years. Now , it's : "Wild, Wonderful" (West Virginia) LOL – it's been "Wild Wonderful" for several years, now.

May 9, 2012 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  10. Publius Novus

And Romney got 70% of the vote of his party. That means 30% of Republicans don't like Romney.

May 9, 2012 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  11. Frank

Your lead-in from the CNN home page "Prisoner Beats Obama" is absolutely misleading. The fact is the "Obama Beats Prison Inmate" is the correct lead. The fact that this prisoner is ahead of Obama in eight counties but losing over all may be interesting, but your lead-in is a fraud and shameful for a purported news organization. More like Fox News, in fact.

May 9, 2012 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  12. Obama 2012 - BEND Forward America, take another 4 long years of FAILURE

The people of West Virginia, like many other Americans, would rather have ANYBODY BUT OBAMA in the Whitehouse. Even to the point of putting a convicted criminal in the Whitehouse. I guess they think that even the convicted criminal loves this country more than Obama and has more common sense. Dang, this has GOT to be very embarrassing to the Harvard graduate!

May 9, 2012 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  13. Frank

These have to be the 8 counties in W. Va. where it is legal to marry your sister.

May 9, 2012 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  14. Bruce

Some of you really need to leave this country and travel. Go to a real socialist country. Go to a real dictatorship. You will realize that the words that you throw around about Obama are nonsense. You'll be so happy to be back in this country, assuming that the other countries don't incarcerate you.

May 9, 2012 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  15. NClaw441

Here in NC Obama won 80% to 20%, but was unopposed! 20% voted no preference.

May 9, 2012 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  16. Pander Express

"The people of West Virginia are smarter than I thought."

That's why a recent study by ALEC put West Viriginia dead last in education in this country. West Virginia is
    near the bottom when it comes to level of education acheived. West Virginia is near the bottom in mean household inome. It shows.

May 9, 2012 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  17. glorydays

What is really sad is that they seem proud of their ignorance.

May 9, 2012 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  18. Lando

CNN is aligning with FOX in distorting news to get traction and attention....shame on you

May 9, 2012 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  19. Obama 2012 - BEND Forward America, take another 4 long years of FAILURE

Pander Express – That's why a recent study by ALEC put West Viriginia dead last in education in this country.
    ====================================================================================
    But they certainly rank #1 in common sense and knowing a complete failure when they see one. I wonder how Obama will choose to target them for punishment now? He's already decided to take away their livlihood.

May 9, 2012 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  20. Greenspam

Let me guess... the prisoner is white.. am I right?

May 9, 2012 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  21. Ray

You could put Adolph Hitler on the ballot opposing Obama in West Virginia and Obama wouldn't win.

May 9, 2012 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  22. Mark

Republicans are nuts. They are affraid Obama will be re-elected and would sooner vote for a convict. Now they know how the democrats felt 4 years ago. They were affraid that Bush would be re-elected, the republicans fought to get him re-elected and the bottom dropped out of the economy as a result. No way it would get that bad under Obama. He inherited the republicans mess and now they want to blame it all on him. They are liars and will continue to rape the middle and lowre class for the sake of the wealthy.

May 9, 2012 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  23. Joe

@ Pander... education, as measured by the "education" your government wants you to have.

May 9, 2012 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  24. John in Brooklyn

This is a classic example of how voters have been convinced by Republicans to vote against their own best interests. West Virginia has one of the highest poverty rates in the country, the lowest literacy rates, the most significant environmental problems, the worst workplace safety, etc....AND they are per capita among the highest recipients of government assistance....none of which are high priorities for Republicans AND which are core to the national agenda of President Obama and the Democrats. I can't help but assume that West Virginians have gone "red" because of characteristics of the president aside from his political positions.

May 9, 2012 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  25. Lando

Residents of those 8 counties were either former prisoners, terrorist, white supremacist and REPUBLICANS...

May 9, 2012 11:50 am at 11:50 am |