Super PAC's multi-million dollar Mother's Day ad
May 9th, 2012

Super PAC's multi-million dollar Mother's Day ad

(CNN) – This Mother's Day, the primary super PAC supporting Mitt Romney doesn't want swing voters to forget what some Democrats have said about the candidate's wife, Ann.

A new ad by Restore Our Future plays back comments critical of Romney by Democratic strategist and CNN contributor Hilary Rosen, as well as comedian Bill Maher.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"Ann Romney raised five boys. She successfully battled breast cancer and multiple sclerosis," the ad juxtapositions against Rosen's comment that Romney "has actually never worked a day in her life," and Maher's crude assertion that she has never been "out of the house."

Rosen apologized for the comments, which had drawn rebuke from candidate Romney and President Barack Obama, as well as prominent Democrats and Republicans alike. Prior to Rosen's comments in early April, Maher penned a mid-March opinion article proposing a day of "amnesty... on every made-up, fake, totally insincere, playacted hurt, insult, slight and affront."

Restore Our Future draws a line from the comments to their opponents, wishing "Happy Mother's Day from Barack Obama's team."

"This effort to describe Republicans as being anything other than extraordinarily pro-women, pro-opportunity for women of America, pro working moms, pro working women, that kind of effort is missing mark," he said on Fox News.

The ad will air in nine battleground states as part of a $4.3 million buy which includes another ad showcasing Romney's help in finding the missing daughter of a colleague over a decade ago.

A recent survey conducted by the Wesleyan Media Project found that 70% of ads aired in this presidential campaign have been negative, a number fueled in part by "the involvement of interest groups." Restore Our Future, like other groups, spent millions in the Republican primary bolstering Romney and bashing his opponents.

Also see:

Soros donates $1 million to liberal super PAC

White House downplays Biden's same-sex marriage remarks

Poll: Romney, Obama dead even in dozen swing states

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney • Mitt Romney
  1. demrules

She raised five boys because she was able to choose to do so. There are many mothers and dads who don't have that luxury of staying home full time with their kids. Don't use Ann Romney as an example is families are off limits. How many children she has "raised" does not equate into this presidential election.

May 9, 2012 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  2. porchhound

I marvel at the posters on here who completely IGNORE the fact that their party and their candidates are every bit as "stinkin rich" as the republicans...Not ONE of them spoke out against Kerry and histens of millions during his run for office! Romney and Kerry are both equal in their wealth...the big difference is that Kerry got his by divorcing his wife and marrying the heinz Ketchup heiress.....any comments on THAT?

May 9, 2012 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  3. carlos

that is really a WTF ad, the whole family are a bunch of PREVARICATORS.

Question to that woman: why you and your mittsy (the funnnnnnnny walking guy) did not allow your sons to serve in the military???????, we want answers, not more LIES.

We also would like to see about TEN YEARS of tax returns (not doctored).

Bunch of hypocrites the bishop's cultists

May 9, 2012 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  4. teena

Good for her and all on a multimillion dollar family budget–wow! How difficult is that?!
    Try raising children on a regular salary like the resmaining 99% of us and then tell us how wonderful she is!

May 9, 2012 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  5. The fact is

How difficult is it to raise five kids when you're rich? I'm not convinced.

May 9, 2012 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  6. julius henderson

Can you say Nanny!!!!!!!!

May 9, 2012 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  7. GROVER NORQUIST IS A ENEMY OF THE STATE/ConservaFASCISTS

She raised five boys who did not serve in the Armed Forces whatsoever. Just like their draft dodging daddy.

May 9, 2012 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  8. Woman In California

When nothing else works give us the "poor Ann" stories.

Everyday is Mother's Day for Ann Romney. Expensive cars, jewelry, trips and restaurants and let's not forget the BEST of healthcare. Just what the country needs more poor Ann stories when there are working mothers out there trying to make ends meet everyday but I forgot she doesn't consider herself wealthy. The Romney's are unbelievable.

May 9, 2012 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  9. Obama 2012 - BEND Forward America, take another 4 long years of FAILURE

Ah yes, the Democrats War on Women continues.... Yes, any women who does not believe they must work outside the home fulltime is just not a woman to be respected. Yes, any woman who does not say it is OK to kill the unborn is just not a woman to be respected. In fact, these women are to be attacked, vilified and destroyed in the Democrat War on Women.

May 9, 2012 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  10. Dave

@ tyki That still dont change te fact that A man who wants to be Commander in Chief runs like a little girl when it comes to Answers we American have the right to know about. This Wuss Romney hides behihd Gretta & Let not your Heart be troubled like a puppy around Bishop Pinocchio. Mittt LOSE THE SKIRT & go on Meet The Press!!!!!

May 9, 2012 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  11. gt

grover... bill clinton did not serve either or did obama... so what.....

May 9, 2012 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  12. Person of Interest

My mother raised me and my sister on her own while working. My Aunt stayed home and raised 3 kids on my Uncle's $65,000 a year job (and that was what he retired making). When he got layed off guess what? My cousin's didn't get to come on our camping trips or the Florida vacations cause the money wasn't there. So my Aunt, Uncle and cousin's knew about bad economies. WTF does Ann Romney know?

When did being the wife of a millionaire give you knowledge of what the average stay at home mother knows about the economy? The average stay at home mom busts her butt to make sure her children are provided for. And when their husband gets a pay freeze, laidoff, or sick , you actually can feel the pressure from the economy. When your the wife of Mr. Bane Capital and your husband doesn't get as big of a bonus as last year, does it really matter? Can't you just get into your Cayman Island account and still take that family vacation to Madrid?

May 9, 2012 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  13. The REAL Truth...

@BEND Forward America, – "Ah yes, the Democrats War on Women continues."
    -------------------------–
    Always the droll contrarian. Your vacuous amnesiac revisionist view of history is infantile and totally narcisstic. Even the comment elicits visions of intense comedic value.

May 9, 2012 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  14. FactCheck

And to think she managed to do all this with only 7 maids. Boy, she makes the rest of us look so weak.

May 9, 2012 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  15. GROVER NORQUIST IS A ENEMY OF THE STATE/ConservaFASCISTS

------------------------------------------------
    OMG you are so full of it Willard. You have no comment or position on the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act. Why is that Willard???? It's your fanatic party that has waged a war on women. It's ok though. You will all reap it in November.

May 9, 2012 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  16. FactCheck

Ah yes, the Democrats War on Women continues
    -----–

Ah yes, the GOPs courting of the illiterate and addled continues... and it seems to be working just fine.

May 9, 2012 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  17. Person of Interest

porchhound>>> I'll answer that, cause Kerry did say crap like: “I should tell my story,” Mr. Romney said. “I’m also unemployed” to people that aren't millionaires and who were unemployed trying to make ends meet. And after that "I like to fire people." After that "I bet you $10,000."

I agree that most of our politicians on BOTH sides of the aisle are millionaires. But most don't sit down at a coffee shop with the unemployed and basically take a dump on their suffering. That's called being out of touch and not being able to empathize. Romney makes it about his money.

May 9, 2012 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  18. OCVoterinCA

Ann Romoney gets no sympathy from me. I live and work in one of the riches counties in the nation and I still have to take a bus with my six kids. I am not rich but I move to Orange County, CA because I want my kids to have a descent public education because that's all I can afford for them. I don't do anything for myself it's all about my kids. I try to eat, sleep, and exercise when I can. I don't have a (ex) husband, maid, chaeuffer, nor a chaperone for my kids. It's all on me. All my children respect me. They're all active in sports and not troublesome spoiled little rich brats. I give you credit for physically having had them as a mother. Anything else is forget it.

May 9, 2012 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  19. carlos

porchhound...is Kerry running for president? update your calendar, if you have one.

Obama 2012 – BEND Forward America, take another 4 long years of FAILURE.......WTF are you whining about???..republiCON....

May 9, 2012 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  20. george of the jungle

poor poor ann. I would have had five kids too if i could have afforded to. Get real when you are rich it is no big deal and Im sure she has great health care when is sick. Try getting by in the real world. Besides you need to have 5 kids to reach the upper levels in heaven according to mormon law. At least mitt does. Ann is on a lower level because sh is a woman. . And what has kerry got to do with any of this ? How many campaigns do you repos try to use on any issue? Obama 2012

May 9, 2012 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  21. Fair is Fair

"the big difference is that Kerry got his by divorcing his wife and marrying the heinz Ketchup heiress.....any comments on THAT?"
    ------
    Just one... in addition to his millions, he only pays taxes on his senator's salary. All of his other income is in the form of tax-free municipal bonds. Why doesn't John Kerry want to pay his fair share?

May 9, 2012 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  22. Sniffit

"In a Tuesday interview, Romney said that Democrats are seeking to portray Republicans as not caring "about any dimension of our society," which is "simply misguided and wrong and dishonest."

well, technically, he's right. GOPers/Teatrolls do care about A dimension of our society: their own, as they define it. They want society to be entirely one-dimensional and for their definition of what is an acceptable member of our society to be that dimension...preferably white, Christian, rich and a registered Republican. All other dimensions confuse, anger and frighten them, just like string theory would.

May 9, 2012 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  23. Sniffit

"And to think she managed to do all this with only 7 maids."

It's hard work checking all those papers, for Pete's sake.

May 9, 2012 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  24. Marie MD

@podchhound, maybe it's because Kerry and other Democrats with money didn't want us to believe ghat we are like them. It's not the having money it's having a mansion with elevators for the if cars when there are so many homelessnthrough no fault od their own or kids who go to bed hungry or our military when they have five sons that were too busy counting moneynto serve their country!
    This sociobishop and his wife want to pretend that everyone has a pool and lives in a gated community eith the golf course as your backyard because they think that we still believe in the American dream which started disintegrating with your boy reagan.

May 9, 2012 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  25. Obama 2012 - BEND Forward America, take another 4 long years of FAILURE

The REAL Truth...
    @BEND Forward America, – "Ah yes, the Democrats War on Women continues."
    ---------–
    =============================================================================================
    And yet you offer no FACTS to counter my assertions, only insults. Therefore you have admitted my assertions to be accurate and correct otherwise you would have countered them with a reasoned and factual response. But we have gotten used to that from leftists as their lies and positions simply cannot be defended.

May 9, 2012 11:40 am at 11:40 am |