Bachmann: No longer neutral on Swiss citizenship
May 10th, 2012

Bachmann: No longer neutral on Swiss citizenship

(CNN) - Michele Bachmann no longer wants to be Swiss, the Minnesota congresswoman announced Thursday, and has requested the Swiss government drop her dual citizenship.

Bachmann's spokeswoman confirmed Tuesday that she had recently been granted dual citizenship, for which she had been eligible since her 1978 marriage, but "recently some of their children wanted to exercise their eligibility for dual-citizenship so they went through the process as a family."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I took this action because I want to make it perfectly clear: I was born in America and I am a proud American citizen," Bachmann said in a statement. "I am, and always have been, 100 percent committed to our United States Constitution and the United States of America. As the daughter of an Air Force veteran, stepdaughter of an Army veteran and sister of a Navy veteran, I am proud of my allegiance to the greatest nation the world has ever known."

"Natural born" citizenship is one of the requirements for the presidency, an office Bachmann sought earlier this year.

Bachmann is of Norwegian ancestry and her husband is Swiss.

Millions of Americans have dual citizenship, and the U.S. State Department says dual nationals "owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country" and "are required to obey the laws of both countries."

Filed under: Michele Bachmann
  1. gr8usa

I bet Switzerland wouldn't take her. They don't want crazy either!

May 10, 2012 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  2. Texas Doc

What's the matter? America not good enough for her? Why does she hate America so much?

May 10, 2012 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  3. MICHAEL YEBOAH

Another Etch A Sketch Republican

May 10, 2012 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  4. Thomas

Wah, wah...I want to see her birth certificate. Does she realize her historical homeland is a socialist country and considered one of the happiest and best places to live in the world?

May 10, 2012 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  5. Michael

Maybe she'll change her mind yet again next week. She probably got pressure from other neocons.

May 10, 2012 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  6. SEL

The Swiss didn't want you anyway.

May 10, 2012 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  7. The REAL Truth...

Wow... does the whole Grand Obstructionist Party now flip-flop like Mittens ??

May 10, 2012 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  8. vote the Tea Party OUT in 2012

LOL me thinks that Mrs Bachmann has looked at or listened to some of the news stations and saw the negative light this was putting on her. A citizen of a country with socialized medicine? Somebody on the far right had to have pulled her aside on this one and asked "what the (BLEEP) are you thinking here?"

May 10, 2012 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  9. Gurgyl

Please stop shwing this idiot face on screen...

May 10, 2012 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  10. Bill

Why is this news? Does anyone really care what this woman thinks or does?

May 10, 2012 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  11. kate

The cover of this months Salt Lake City Magazine reads,"The Myth of Mitt How he did Not save the Olympics" Read it to learn the truth of the millions and million of Federal money he used. This written by His People.

May 10, 2012 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  12. gg

what she means is put it on hold–i,ll get back to yey

May 10, 2012 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  13. afrocentric542

So what? I see nothing wrong with her having dual citizenship. It's a wonderful opportunity to explore different countries and cultures. I don't understand why she let it go.

Obama 2012!

May 10, 2012 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  14. gg

she republican presidental material –i,ll save the swiss thing for my retierment

May 10, 2012 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  15. Ronda in Houston,TX

Another Flip-Flopper. What else is new?

May 10, 2012 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  16. Lynda/Minnesota

"But after the news had been public for less than 48 hours, she issued a Thursday afternoon follow-up: "Today I sent a letter to the Swiss Consulate requesting withdrawal of my dual Swiss citizenship."

OK. Then why go the "dual citizenship" route to begin with?

52% of Minnesotans are embarrassed by Michele Bachmann's constant need for attention. Too bad her 6th District voters can't be persuaded to join that majority and vote for someone who actually does have their best interests at heart.

May 10, 2012 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  17. Evil Hollywood Liberal

Not only does she hate America, but she must be in favor of gay marriage, since she married a guy who is clearly gay.

May 10, 2012 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  18. John

I wish she go there and stay, America will be glad to get rid of her.

May 10, 2012 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  19. BLKMANinAmerica

Good now leave America and enjoy!

May 10, 2012 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  20. Ol' Yeller

@Evil Hollywood Liberal
    Yes, she most definitely did. I laughed out loud when they spoofed her on SNL.
    Not that she needs spoofing. Her and Sarah's efforts to out right each other are hilarious.

May 10, 2012 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  21. NVa Native

I guess she was watching the tee-party/fox follower's polls before actually making a statement, but apparently she's been eligible since 1978?
    Oh my God, maybe there's an anchor baby in her genealogy?!
    Why are GOPuppets so afraid of everything – or a better question could be what aren’t they of?

May 10, 2012 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  22. a little sad

So did Hubby marry her to get a US citizenship? That would explain a lot.

May 10, 2012 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  23. Another Day in the RW Idiot Mines

Wait? She isn't even Swiss, just her husband? I think all the poutraged rightwing crazies owe Elizabeth Warren an apology.

May 10, 2012 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  24. Ol' Yeller

Let's get some money together and make an offer to the Swiss Government requesting they not withdraw her dual citizenship. No backsies!
    I would almost bet 10,000 dollars (but I'm just a working man), that the only reason the Bachman family 'took advantage' of their dual citizenship was to 'take advantage' of the free healthcare.

May 10, 2012 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  25. Andrew

Flip-flopper... Make a decision and stick with it....

May 10, 2012 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |