Bachmann: No longer neutral on Swiss citizenship
May 10th, 2012

Bachmann: No longer neutral on Swiss citizenship

(CNN) - Michele Bachmann no longer wants to be Swiss, the Minnesota congresswoman announced Thursday, and has requested the Swiss government drop her dual citizenship.

Bachmann's spokeswoman confirmed Tuesday that she had recently been granted dual citizenship, for which she had been eligible since her 1978 marriage, but "recently some of their children wanted to exercise their eligibility for dual-citizenship so they went through the process as a family."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

But after the news had been public for less than 48 hours, she issued a Thursday afternoon follow-up: "Today I sent a letter to the Swiss Consulate requesting withdrawal of my dual Swiss citizenship."

"I took this action because I want to make it perfectly clear: I was born in America and I am a proud American citizen," Bachmann said in a statement. "I am, and always have been, 100 percent committed to our United States Constitution and the United States of America. As the daughter of an Air Force veteran, stepdaughter of an Army veteran and sister of a Navy veteran, I am proud of my allegiance to the greatest nation the world has ever known."

"Natural born" citizenship is one of the requirements for the presidency, an office Bachmann sought earlier this year.

Bachmann is of Norwegian ancestry and her husband is Swiss.

Millions of Americans have dual citizenship, and the U.S. State Department says dual nationals "owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country" and "are required to obey the laws of both countries."

Filed under: Michele Bachmann
  1. Sniffit

How is it tha her head doesn't just fold in on itself from the force of the vacuum it contains?

May 10, 2012 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  2. 2012liberal

Dang all my hope just went out the window. I was hoping 2 c her husband n a swiss miss dress!

May 10, 2012 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  3. Sniffit

"Why is this news? Does anyone really care what this woman thinks or does?"

To be fair, as much as I often feel the same irritation, I always remind myself that, much like the monitoring and reporting program for pedophiles, the MSM functions to help us keep an eye on very bad and very stupid people...like Batty Bachman...so we can monitor them and, hopefully, catch them before they commit further atrocities.

May 10, 2012 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  4. Expat American

I thought she would find a home in Schweiz. The ignorant, stupid bigot Michelle Bachmann is filled with so much hot air, she could embark on her new career as an alphorn player. Bachmann and Palin can go there together, and Palin can dust off her pagent bikini to draw in the fans.

May 10, 2012 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  5. tumbleweed

Stupid is as Stupid does you stupid right wingers.

May 10, 2012 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  6. Are you kidding me?

She is a hypocrite and a joke.

May 10, 2012 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  7. Rickster

At least one of her citizenships is American as opposed to Barack Hussein Obama who is 100% Kenyan.

May 10, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  8. rs

The Swiss citizenship was great and sought out until it was made public. What a prostitute! Maybe the Swiss universal health care, or gay marriage offended her.

May 10, 2012 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  9. Thomas

Michele Bachmann no longer wants to be Swiss
    I'm sure today is a day where flags fly at half mast , A day of Infamy and great morning. The Swiss today took a moment of silence , the sadness , the loss.

God Save Queen Bachmann !

May 10, 2012 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  10. Larry L

Does she even know how "socialist" Switzerland is by her ridiculous, right-wing, Fox News standards?

May 10, 2012 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  11. gg

so the swiss turned her down– some body should have told her about the IQ test

May 10, 2012 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  12. JET

Its news because her main talking point is "Barack Obama and his wife Michelle held anti-American views and couldn't be trusted in the White House – and im such a patriotic american" and then she went and got citizenship in another country.
    Then as soon as people started questioning her patriotism, she flip flops.

May 10, 2012 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  13. Tired of republican lies

Dang...talk about a back peddal and a half...could you imagine if she was the nominee? Is she for real? SMDH!

May 10, 2012 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  14. Ken in NC

WOW and I was hoping to see here run for office there and pack up and take her husband back home.

May 10, 2012 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  15. Guy

Now why would she do that??? Great new non-fic book, THE MADNESS OF MICHELLE BACHMANN--think she's really not that crazy? The book covers her insane views from before she went down to DC-it's a great read.

May 10, 2012 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  16. Rokkh

To be granted the swiss citizenships you have to apply if eligible and pay a certain amount of money

May 10, 2012 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  17. Romney is not My Hero

WHY??!!!!! Just when I started to dream about her FINALLY leaving the US. What is her reason for flipping on this? Is she now going to try and pray the gay marriage endorsement away made by the President?

OBAMA 2012!

May 10, 2012 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  18. B

Michele Bachmann is just oozing with hypocrisy. While she is preaching to the right-wing sheeple, "I will work hard to repeal Obamacare because it's unconstitutional", here she is applying for and being granted Swiss citizensip. Switzerland REQUIRES by law that all it's citizens buy UNIVERSAL HEALTH INSURANCE!

May 10, 2012 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  19. there is profit in fear.....aka payback

....Isn't that a SOCIALIST COUNTRY?.........Just sayin'......................

May 10, 2012 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  20. timz

I still have not seen her birth certificate and don't believe she is an American. She should be sent back to Switzerland where she came from.

May 10, 2012 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  21. ThinkAgain

Switzerland is a socialist country that allows gay marriage. How does Batty keep her head from exploding over that?

May 10, 2012 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  22. VA VERY Ex Republican

Guys, I think she read my post or more accurately someone read and explained my post to her where I explained to her how much taxes she wuld be paying there and decided to change her mind and keep her single citizenship. she is not a real American, she is a well calculating greedy business woman.

May 10, 2012 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  23. roscoe

Yes, no, yes, no, yes, no.......she's mealy mouthed enough to be Mitt's VP running mate.

May 10, 2012 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  24. John N Florida

I care what this woman thinks. It's better than the comic books I read as a kid. "Bizarro World" starring Michele 'I haven't got a clue' Bachmann.

May 10, 2012 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  25. Namejkane sfl romneycare, l didnt mean it, its not my fault, ann made me do it ,im sorry conservaties, who needs romney care anyway, i dont

But I want her to defect to any other country, how about similar where you share the same values !!!!

May 10, 2012 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |