May 10th, 2012

Bristol Palin: Too much 'Glee' in Obama decision

(CNN) - President Barack Obama's endorsement Wednesday of same-sex marriage didn't please Bristol Palin. The daughter of former Alaska governor and 2008 vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin took to her blog Thursday to slam the president for taking political cues from his two daughters, who she suggested were watching too much television.

In an ABC News interview, Obama explained how his family helped influence his "evolution" on the issue of marriage, saying his daughters Malia and Sasha have "friends whose parents are same-sex couples."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"It wouldn't dawn on them that somehow their friends' parents would be treated differently," Obama said. "And frankly that's the kind of thing that prompts a change of perspective - not wanting to somehow explain to your child why somebody should be treated differently when it comes to the eyes of the law."

Palin, in her blog post, expressed a different view.

"While it's great to listen to your kids' ideas, there's also a time when dads simply need to be dads," wrote Palin.

She continued, "In this case, it would've been helpful for him to explain to Malia and Sasha that while her friends parents are no doubt lovely people, that's not a reason to change thousands of years of thinking about marriage. Or that – as great as her friends may be – we know that in general kids do better growing up in a mother/father home. Ideally, fathers help shape their kids' worldview."

Palin bemoaned the fact that Republican women running for office are sometimes quizzed on the role their families will play in their governing, but that Obama isn't pressed on acknowledging the impact his children make in his decision-making.

"So let me get this straight – it's a problem if my mom listened too much to my dad, but it's a heroic act if the President made a massive change in a policy position that could affect the entire nation after consulting with his teenage daughters?" Palin wondered.

The decision to back same-sex marriage was a missed opportunity for Obama, Palin wrote.

"In this case, it would've been nice if the President would've been an actual leader and helped shape their thoughts instead of merely reflecting what many teenagers think after one too many episodes of Glee," Palin wrote, referencing the popular television show about high schoolers.

Filed under: Bristol Palin • Same-sex marriage
soundoff (1,038 Responses)
  1. Joshua Ludd

It would be quite nice if the young lady who got pregnant as a teen, didn't marry the father, and has never done anything of merit outside of having a mother who was famous for being a terrible and failed candidate for vice president and then quit her job as governor after half a term and for doing a reality TV show would just shut up.

Want to whine about Republican women being quizzed about their spouses? Then maybe you can hop in a time machine and go apologize to John Kerry and his wife for her EVER becoming a campaign issue. Then you can go apologize to Joe Wilson and Valerie Plame.

May 11, 2012 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  2. J. Lynn

Ahahahahaha! Ah, thanks for a good laugh Bristol. Now, onto reading REAL news and not listening to the puppet of a political candidate (if you can call her that) who has forever given SNL enough material for years. Ah, that Palin family is so funny.

May 11, 2012 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  3. Rebecca Harrington

Why did this even make news on your website? I come to CNN for factual news and intelligent commentary. I highly doubt your demographics warrant ANYTHING by Bristol Palin.

May 11, 2012 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  4. GwynniesPapa

I really do not care what your politics are. Go ahead hate the President,his policies his family I don't care but ya just plain look like a dummy defending this twit and her idiot mother. Time has proven the Palins are very bad people that will not go away. I am frightened to think there is any one of any political thought that can defend the garbage cans and hold them up as examples of anything but the hillbillies they are. Happy Mothers Day Bristol what did Levi pick out for the baby to give you??

May 11, 2012 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  5. Mark

Bristol realy missed the point, it was of needing to tell his children that this country still discriminates. The "idea" didn't come from them. So bristol you didn't "get this straight". dumb reproduces. everybody can have opinions-I know people who hate blacks but the govenment is not allowed to. There is individual freedom, go to your church and pray, but the government is required to protect everybody's freedom. Not just the people a Palin grants it to. EVERYBODY, what ever happened to he who is whithout sin can cast the first stone. NEW testament. Christians are not supposed to be looking at the book prior to christ-but only if it is convenient. Just like getting pregnant at 17, huh. go pray fast.

May 11, 2012 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  6. Anonymous

And her opinion matters, how? She is just as dumb as her mother. And if marriage and family are so important, why is she a single mother. Sounds hypocritical to me.

May 11, 2012 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  7. Andrew Smith

Why in he world does ANYONE pay any attention to what this sniveling little twit, who has done absolutely nothing except to have an illegitimate child, says about anything? She, like her vile mother, is an ignorant moron who deserves absolute anonimity. Disgusting! The news media should hang its head in shame for publicizing this sleazy critter.

May 11, 2012 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  8. Mark

pray for brains little miss scarecrow

May 11, 2012 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  9. RyDogg

However hypocritical it may be, she makes a lot of sense. You people need to listen to this woman.

May 11, 2012 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  10. B4Cons

How about getting married first, Baby MaMa, before you share your 21 years of "wisdom" with us.

May 11, 2012 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  11. Patrick R. Tull

Who is Bristol Palin and who does she represent. Maybe you should have listened to your parents and kept your legs shut.

May 11, 2012 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  12. Brian2913

who cares what a early 20 something thinks, CNN reporting on this is a joke. funny how CNN doesn't even mention the book where Clinton called Obama an amateur, but a Palin says somehting to make Republicans look bad or a story from 1965 comes out abour Romney, and they are all over it!

May 11, 2012 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  13. dakster

Really Bristol.....when did you become an expert on anything except teenage unmarried pregnancy. You AT LEAST had the option to marry the "daddy"......I still don't even have the option of marrying my partner....and guess what....we do not even have children.....just love....a whole lot of it.

May 11, 2012 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  14. captain obvious

Bristol Palin "Every child needs a mother and a babydaddy".

May 11, 2012 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  15. Nottoobright

Guess what Miss Palin, there was thousands of years of thinking that women were inferior, that slavary was good, that the earth is flat, and the sun goes around the earth. but because we want to progress and fix injustice, or just plain stupidity, we change. Do you know there was a time when an unmarried woman who had a child would ve been beheaded, aren't you kind of glad they change those thousand years of thinking?

May 11, 2012 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  16. floyd

I am a dad with four of the most lovely daughters in the world, and a son that means the world to me.I wish nothing but the best for them. I grew up thinking that everything I saw around me was the way it should be, that my father, the church and others were correct in most, if not all their teachings. I have since realised that this is not so. When does it become my duty or your duty to determine who someone falls in love with, who am I, or who is Bristol Palin to decide who someone else chose to live the rest of their life with. Am I 100% comfortable with seeing a gay couple togther, maybe not, but this is not about me been comfortable. This is about the freedome that all in this world including Americans should envision, have and hold dear to their hearts, the freedom to love, and be loved even if someone else is un-comfortable. I remember when my dad tried to prevent me from having a relationship with my son's mom, I stood up to my dad for the very first time. I told him that I would not allow him or anyone else to decide who I fell in love with, at seventeen i knew in my heart that that decision was mine and mine only, regardless of the outcome. I recomend to all that they listen to a song that a Jamaican artist named Tanya Stephens sings called "Do you still care". or at least read the lyrics for that song.

May 11, 2012 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  17. JSA

Bristol Palin is a moron. enough said.

May 11, 2012 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  18. SherryMAZ

I have to say that unless Bristol Palin is the least credible person I can think of for criticism of how a family, any family functions. The president, in his remarks, referenced his conversations with his daughters as a reflection of how he felt he should behave as a parent for what kind of world he wants his children to inherit. I believe that nearly every leader thinks at least once in that way, perhaps even Ms. Palin's mother. The fact that she didn't like the results was truly her only bottomline complaint.

May 11, 2012 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  19. Susan

What a piece of work she is. That family is too much! None of them are in a position to comment on anybody else. Go away quietly little girl!

May 11, 2012 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  20. Erik

Who cares what she has to say – good or bad? She hasn't done anything extraordinary for her words to merit any special attention.

May 11, 2012 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  21. C Dude

Wow Obama's kids are running the country!! At least they are smarter than you Bristol.

May 11, 2012 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  22. lisaspups

I wish the doctor would have sewn her mouth shut when she had her surgery. This woman is nothing but a waste of air.

May 11, 2012 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  23. Matthew

Why, exactly, do we give any credence to what Bristol Palin thinks about anything? Has she done something remarkable to be brought into the national debate as a thought leader? Her pithy little statement on "thousands of years of thinking about marriage" is proof enough that she hasn't a clue as to what she is talking about. I hope she realizes that, until relatively recently, she would have been the property of her husband and would have had few rights to end her marriage or to even choose who she wanted to marry. Also...really...she's the expert on good decisions and solid relationships between two parents? Really?

May 11, 2012 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  24. CJ

Please just go away Bristol. You're allow to have an opinion - just keep it to yourself.

May 11, 2012 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  25. Obama 2012 - BEND Forward America, take another 4 long years of FAILURE

Did I win the 1,000 post prize????

May 11, 2012 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |