Romney says Obama shouldn't fundraise off same-sex marriage
May 10th, 2012

Romney says Obama shouldn't fundraise off same-sex marriage

(CNN) – The day after President Barack Obama publicly endorsed same-sex marriage, and later issued a call for donations, his Republican rival said the hot button topic shouldn't be used to raise campaign cash.

"I don't think the matter of marriage is really a fundraising matter, either for the president, and it is certainly not for me," Romney said Thursday on Fox News.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

He added, "I hope the issue as tender and sensitive as the marriage issue is not a source of fundraising for either of us."

On Wednesday, hours after Obama told ABC News he supports the rights of gay and lesbian couples to get married, he sent an email to supporters explaining the decision and making a fundraising pitch.

"Today, I was asked a direct question and gave a direct answer: I believe that same-sex couples should be allowed to marry," Obama wrote in the email.

The last line was a call for donations: "More than 1.9 million people like you power this campaign. If you can, please donate today," Obama wrote while linking to a form for giving money to his campaign.

Romney remarked that political positions, like support for same-sex marriage, shouldn't be taken to score political points.

"I don't know there is a calculation about which positions are going to help and which positions will hurt politically. You have positions. You describe what they are. And hopefully people are focusing on the major issues of the day which relate to our economy and getting people back to work," Romney said.

Romney decried any attempts to sway votes by shifting positions – something the candidate himself has been accused of throughout the GOP primary and the general election.

"You don't change positions to try and win states, or certain groups of Americans," Romney said. "You have the positions you have. And for a long time, from the beginning of my political career I made it clear I believe marriage should be a relationship between a man and a woman."

When pressed to explain the perceived shifts in his position on same-sex marriage, Romney reaffirmed his platform, which he said was shared by his wife Ann and the rest of his family.

"Let me make it very clear, that my preference is to have a national standard that defines marriage as a relationship between a man and a woman. That would then allow states to determine what rights would be provided for people of the same gender that wanted to have a relationship," Romney said.

In the interview, Romney said it was "fine" for states to allow gay couples to adopt children, but said it was his preference to "encourage the marriage of a man and a woman and we continue to define marriage as a relationship between a man and a woman."

Filed under: Mitt Romney • President Obama • Same-sex marriage
  1. MP in VA

Romney, be careful what you criticize your oppoenent for–especially fundraising.

May 10, 2012 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  2. A not-so-stupid former republican

Willard should follow his own advice. I'm sure he will try to raise money on the issue; it's the republican way.

May 10, 2012 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  3. A not-so-stupid former republican

Hey Willard, how about one man and multiple women marriages? That should be OK, right?

May 10, 2012 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  4. JFC

"I'm sure the right wing extremists can find someone else to discriminate against and some other issue which is sure to rend the fabric of American society beyond repair. (yawn)"

You can count on that, sir.

May 10, 2012 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  5. Scott

How ridiculous. Romney and the Republicans have always felt perfectly fine with using wedge issues to raise funds and win elections. The only reason Romney is opposed now is because this is a losing issue for him.

May 10, 2012 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  6. DJ

This country would be so much of a better place if every state would ban same sex marriage. Marriage is defined as one man and one woman. That is the way God and nature designed it to be.

May 10, 2012 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  7. aragon

romney is just sad because he is going to lose! He would be more than willing to take gay peoples money to help out his campain. He is a joke.

May 10, 2012 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  8. clayton

wait??? anyone else confused??? by campaigning on a platform of conservative family values (which includes defending the "traditional" marriage) hasn't Romney been fundraising off his view of marriage?????

May 10, 2012 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  9. n

Mormon religion one can have more then 1 wife. How many do u have. Romney u are a flip flop we American cannot trust u.

May 10, 2012 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  10. RKN

"you don't change positions to try and win states, or certain groups of Americans," Romney said.....
    This comes from the man who changes positions so often he supports all sides in the same conversation.
    Romney, who opposed the auto industry bailout and now claims credit for it...

We need to get rid of the children and only let adults take part in government.
    Romney is just a child. Most of the GOP / TP folks are just 2 year olds wanting what they do not deserve.

May 10, 2012 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  11. Randy, San Francisco

Romney has been fund raising off the war on women, hispanic immigrants, gays, and middle class.

May 10, 2012 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  12. Anonymous

And who are you to "define" marriage as being between two people!..why not 3,4,5 etc. (who love each other). please leave traditional marriage alone.!.1 man + 1 woman = marriage!

May 10, 2012 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  13. koga001

2 people, 6 people, same sex, WHO CARES! America is either free or it isn't.

May 10, 2012 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  14. normajean @ verizon ,com

Every time I read a comment by "Four and the Door" I wish he or she would go through THAT door and let it smack them a good one right on the backside!!!!! ........... I can almost hear it.........it's music to my ears!!!!!!

May 10, 2012 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  15. Tron

May 10, 2012 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  16. Sydnium S. Adolsen

Pushing too far, Obama. If marriage is between a man and a woman (transgender not included), why are LGBT born? If Ameirca needs more time with the economy, why did you change the subject abruptly? If American flag is red, white and blue (PAC, which I think is Paul's or Gingrich's), why is there a rainbow flag with the stars no stripes in it?

May 10, 2012 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  17. tweeddemon

Mitt's religion tells him that marriage should be between a man & wife, & wife, & wife, & wife.....

May 10, 2012 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  18. justthefacts

barack obama on how he bullied a girl in school............

“I’m not her boyfriend!” I shouted. I ran up to Coretta and gave her a slight shove; she staggered back and looked up at me, but still said nothing. “Leave me alone!” I shouted again. And suddenly Coretta was running, faster and faster, until she disappeared from sight. Appreciative laughs rose around me. Then the bell rang, and the teachers appeared to round us back to class.

May 10, 2012 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  19. tweeddemon

Mitt's religion tells hime that a marriage should be between a man & woman, & woman, & woman, & woman, ....

May 10, 2012 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  20. Melo-D

Willard thinks Obama shouldn't fund raise period, what else is new. I mean, the GOP seem to think that the president should only be able to campaign with the change in his couch.

May 10, 2012 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  21. blessedgeek

Romney should not fund-raise on marriage issue.

May 10, 2012 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  22. manhandler1

Oh, puuuleeeze.......what about all the positiobns you're fundraisng off of. Don't worry, I was conributing monthly before this came up and now I'll be doubling that contribution.

May 10, 2012 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  23. Squigman

The more this clown talks, the more he needs to shut up.

May 10, 2012 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  24. mason

that is the dumbest comment ever, and that says a lot. will mitt fund raise on that?

May 10, 2012 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  25. Hawk in Texas

Romney's pissed because he didn't think of it first. he has changed positions so often he can't even remember what he has said. he has changed from state to state. like he couldn't remember cutting a gay students hair and holding him down to do it. one word for romney. LIAR!

May 10, 2012 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |