Sen. Paul: I didn't think Obama's 'views on marriage could get any gayer'
May 12th, 2012

Sen. Paul: I didn't think Obama's 'views on marriage could get any gayer'

(CNN) – Sen. Rand Paul on Friday brushed off Barack Obama's recent reversal on same-sex marriage by saying he didn't think the president's views "could get any gayer."

The remarks from the Republican senator from Kentucky scored laughs among those attending an event held by Iowa's Faith and Freedom Coalition, a video uploaded on Saturday to the conservative website "The Iowa Republican" shows.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"The president, you know, recently weighed in on marriage. And, you know, he said his views were evolving on marriage," the first-term senator said Friday evening. "Call me cynical, but I wasn't sure that his views on marriage could get any gayer."

Paul, who is the son of GOP presidential longshot and Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, made the comments two days after Obama announced that he supported same-sex marriage, which he had previously opposed, while adding he thought the issue should be left up to the states to decide.

Rand Paul had been advertised as the coalition's "special guest" for its 12th annual spring event. The organization's website also promoted the presence of Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa and Ralph Reed, who is the chairman of the national Faith and Freedom Coalition.

In the remarks captured on video, Paul spoke against abortion as well as same-sex marriage.

"I think we're in a spiritual crisis as a country," Paul said, "and I think you're going to need leaders beyond your political leaders."

The senator criticized Obama's explanation that the Golden Rule - to treat others how one wants to be treated - and his faith led to his evolved understanding of marriage. The Golden Rule has its roots in biblical verses.

"It did bother me though that he used the justification for it in a biblical reference," Paul said. "He said the biblical Golden Rule caused him to be for gay marriage. And I'm like, what version of the Bible is he reading?

"It's not the King James version, it's not the New American Standard, it's not the New Revised version," he added.

But Paul said his beliefs and those of other social conservatives and Christians do not "mean we have to be harsh and mean and hate people."

"We understand sin and if we believe it's a sin, we still are (sinners) and people sin," he said. "We're not out there preaching some sort of hateful dogma against people. But that doesn't mean that we have to go ahead and give up our traditions."

"Six thousand years of tradition" combined with "anthropological" evidence shows "there's stability in the family unit," he said.

Calls placed Saturday to the Iowa Faith and Freedom Coalition, as well as to Paul's offices and spokeswoman, were not immediately returned.

Filed under: Iowa • President Obama • Rand Paul • Same-sex marriage
  1. Scott

I didn't think conservatives could sink any lower.

May 13, 2012 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  2. Stopthemadness

I think politicians should stop using their own religious beliefs to create and or deny others. I think our political leaders forget the work as a government not as a church and they are committing violations of all Americans civil rights by forgetting the law and preaching about why something should or should not be allowed.

KEEP YOUR RELIGION OUT OF POLITICS!

May 13, 2012 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  3. asm_ith

How credible can Rand Paul be? He touts himself as a board-certified ophthalmologist. But his certification is not recognized by the American Medical Association; instead, he is certified by the National Board of Ophthalmology, a group he founded in 1999 and currently serves as the head of. I wonder how he would feel about someone who calls themselves and doctor because they gave themselves an MD degree from a "college" that they founded, heads, and determines the curriculum.

May 13, 2012 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  4. Brett

@ThinkAgain

There seems to be some sort of irony to even having the word Think appear in your username, but oh well. Certainly, it wasn't the unintrusive atmosphere that led us to be the dominant power in the world. Obviously, since our conception we have been under government control from cradle to grave. Oh wait, we haven't! We actually functioned best when we were freer! Who knew that we actually had resources and knew how to utilize them, opposed to the third-world nations that either have nothing or can't utilize them. Warring factions of imbeciles does not a libertarian world make.

I would also love for all you big-government progressives to live in Greece for a year. That should give you a lesson in terms of what happens when you try and take care of everyone.

May 13, 2012 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  5. be

and by "gay" he means "AWESOME!"

May 13, 2012 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  6. BobInIrvine

As others have pointed out, the ridiculing of others and the injection of religion into governmental policies is anathema to true Libertarians, so clearly Rand is being random.

May 13, 2012 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  7. Deej59

I've been tolerant of religious types all my life even though I don't buy into their beliefs. No problem, live and let live. But it's getting hard to ignore the attacks. I didn't need the bible to teach me the golden rule. It's a no brainer that would be followed by all if not for the fact that a lot of people are basically rotten. I've still followed it all my life, I've taught my children to follow it and they teach their children. No bible involved. People like Paul need to stop deciding the bible should be taken literally, word for word, just because there are some good lessons in there. There are good lessons in many books. And some that are just common sense.

May 13, 2012 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  8. NATHAN WIMBERLY

President Obama gave them just enough rope, look at the unhinged GOBP.

May 13, 2012 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  9. oddjob2234

It's disappointing that Rand Paul would make this joke, since people will deliberately misinterpret it. That said, it did get a good laugh. It's pathetic that people deliberately and falsely take joking statements seriously, when they know full well they are jokes. This spans everyone.

When you know full well that something is a joke, you don't falsely pretend it was serious and then attack it.

May 13, 2012 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  10. Peter Trudell

@Hillel: Actually you are mistaken. Confucius formulated that version of the golden rule centuries before Hillel or Jesus. But the point is, this ethical ideal did NOT originate with Christianity or the Christian bible. Fact is, many other cultures, including the ancient Greeks, had developed very sophisticated ethical philosophies long before the major religions adopted them.

May 13, 2012 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  11. Rand Paul is not, and never was, Libertarian

Rand Paul is just another right winger christian conservative hate-monger. He's no Libertarian. Libertarian's aren't against gay marrige.

May 13, 2012 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  12. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Turn these radical extremists into the 2012 Whig party on November 6. Obama/Biden 2012!

May 13, 2012 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  13. Nate

This man has no business being in anyone's home after a statement like that...I swear that Rand and his father are advocates for Pat Robertson, but even Pat knows when to keep his mouth shut and to be respectful to one another. I think it' time to say goodbye to "The Pauls"...

May 13, 2012 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  14. Karen S

I really don't care what Sen. Paul thinks. I will continue to love my spouse always, and she will continue to love me, always. Get over it.

May 13, 2012 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |