First on CNN: Romneys donated $150,000 of own money to presidential bid
May 18th, 2012

First on CNN: Romneys donated $150,000 of own money to presidential bid

Washington (CNN) - Mitt and Ann Romney each donated $75,000 this week to the Romney Victory Fund, the joint fundraising committee between Romney's campaign and the Republican National Committee, a Romney campaign source told CNN.

Under the law, $75,800 is the maximum amount an individual can contribute to the fund. Although the law allows a candidate, in this case Romney, to give unlimited funds to his own campaign.

The Romney source said the information will appear in the campaign's Federal Election Commission report for May.

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney • Fundraising • Mitt Romney
  1. cali girl

money you can believe in. I wonder if the sons will be upset since their parents are spending their inheritence willy nill.

May 18, 2012 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  2. Pete

Yah,that ain't sayin much,how much did RichyRich put in his super pac fund,O wait, ask me after the election,it might be illegal...

May 18, 2012 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  3. Devon

As the Press aproaches, He panics & yells SECURITY He is a SEVERELY GUTLESS SPINELESS HEARTLESS SOULESS whackjob. Russia is our Biggest Foe. ?????????????

May 18, 2012 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  4. Woman In California

Mitt and Ann Romney each donated $75,000 this week to the so-called Romney Victory Fund.

So-called is EXACTLY what it is so what is the point of this story?

May 18, 2012 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  5. NVa Native

Yea, these people are in touch with how real Americans live. Just dump $150K into an investment without blinking.

May 18, 2012 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  6. Jim

hahaha, awesome! I wish I was the 1%... the 99% blows.

May 18, 2012 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  7. Devon

Yo Mitt, you look so cute runnin from the Press like a little Girl. How bout something other than Fox??? Why heavens no??? Caus the let me bring my dont go there list & we have Group Hugs afterwards.

May 18, 2012 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  8. Wire Palladin, S. F.

How can Mittens get his money back from his Swiss account so quickly? Hope he paid taxes on it.

May 18, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  9. once upon a horse

when you're part of the 1% you can do these type of things with little to no problem. SIGH!!

May 18, 2012 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  10. DENNA

It's what the GOP does – buy elections. Or go to the Supreme Court and have them appoint the GOP nominee to the office of POTUS.

May 18, 2012 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  11. Obama 2012 - BEND Forward America, take another 4 long years of FAILURE

When is Obama going to make a similar investment by paying an extra $150,000 of HIS money to the government so it can be invested by Chu in the next Solyndra?

May 18, 2012 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  12. Claudia, Houston, Tx

He can count on another $375,000 from his none military serving sons who are campaigning for him.

May 18, 2012 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  13. GROVER NORQUIST IS A ENEMY OF THE STATE/ConservaFASCISTS

That's very 1%erish of them. I bet they're donating to their Super Pac as well.

May 18, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  14. Expat American

...because that's what Romney found between the pillows in his couch....

May 18, 2012 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  15. Independent Voters

Romney dont care about middle class or poor that why he have money to throw away.
    I dont trust Romney he will destroy our country by hurting middle class and poor people.

May 18, 2012 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  16. Tracy

He makes my butt hurt!! I have never seen anyone look so fake and uncomfortable in my life... Republicans are so embarrassed of what they have for their nominee...

May 18, 2012 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  17. souptwins

It was just a couple months ago some were complaining that he hadn't put any of his own money into his campaign. Guess there's just no pleasing some people. Only a fraction of his assets are in off shore accounts and all are taxed at the same rate as if they were in US. If you want a loophole closed, talk to Congress. If all you complainers are so convinced he's in it for the money, can you tell me why he refused a salary for being Gov. of MA or being CEO of the Olympics or earned just $1 for returning to Bain when asked? I'd be surprised if he accepted a salary as Pres. either (if elected). Heck, if I had that kind of money I'd be sipping from a coconut on a yacht some where. Could it be he really does see a responsibility to use his experience and talents to help our country from the hole we're buried in? Hmmm Now there's a thought.

May 18, 2012 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  18. souptwins

Tracy- So if you're comfortable having a drink with Obama, do it but I'm interested in having a competent president. Being comfortable in front of an audience seems very over rated!

May 18, 2012 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  19. The REAL Truth...

LOL – given his $42M income level, that's the equivalent of me contributing $500 to my presidential campaign....

May 18, 2012 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  20. Myviewis

I don't see why Democrats are so jealous and petty that Romney has made money. Democrats have more money than Republicans and Democrats keep telling me they are more educated and have more college degrees. So what gives?

May 18, 2012 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  21. The REAL Truth...

This just proves to me that he has more money than sense..... you can't buy the Presidency !
    Well, you couldn't until the 5-4 right-leaning SCOTUS changed the rules...Oh wait, this is not Obama's fault ???

May 18, 2012 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  22. The REAL Truth...

@souptwins – I'm interested in having a competent president.
    ----------------------
    So why on earth would you waste your vote on Mittens ??? That's assuming he can even get nominated at the RNC circus in August. Go Ron Paul !!!

May 18, 2012 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  23. Woman In California

@ souptwins

Here's another thought. Where was all this "responsibility" when he was sipping tea in France and others were DYING in his place? Where has his "responsibility" been since his party got us involved in two wars (none of his sons felt responsible). I'll tell you where his "responsibility" was in his off shore bank accounts and presidential run. Great guy that Willard is.

May 18, 2012 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  24. BLKMANinAmerica

Well I guess he is another (indeed) GW Bush................I can buy the President position in America.

May 18, 2012 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  25. Jeff

When most people dive head first into a new life venture they normally give everything they have. If I start a new business, I sell everything I own and take on the challenge with every bit I have in me...

...So excuse me if I'm not impressed when the person running for the highest elected position in the World gives less than 1% of their wealth. Sounds like he knows there's a good chance he will lose and he's only willing to get his toes wet, not jump in.

I'd say Ron Paul 2012, but that won't happen. So the next best thing: Obama 2012

May 18, 2012 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |