GOP triple play: Romney, Trump and Gingrich to campaign together
May 24th, 2012

GOP triple play: Romney, Trump and Gingrich to campaign together

(CNN) – Presumptive GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney will be joined in Las Vegas next week by two of his backers: former candidate Newt Gingrich and reality television star Donald Trump.

The event will take place Tuesday at Trump's International Hotel on the Strip. Romney's campaign is also raffling a chance to have dinner with Trump for supporters who donate to the campaign.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I want you: Dine with the Donald," a campaign flier proclaims, along with a drawing of Trump.

The campaign offers: "Airport transportation in the Trump vehicle; Stay at the Trump International Hotel & Tower New York; Tour the Celebrity Apprentice Boardroom; Dine with Donald Trump and Mitt Romney."

Trump, who flirted with a bid for the White House last year, said he wouldn't run for the White House because he didn't want to cancel his reality show, "The Apprentice" in order to comply with equal air time laws for candidates.

After a parade of GOP candidates visited Trump in Manhattan, the celebrity business magnate finally announced he was backing Romney in February.

"It's my honor, real honor, to endorse Mitt Romney," Trump said, with Romney and his wife standing nearby. Calling Romney "tough" and "smart," Trump said, "he's not going to continue to allow bad things to happen to this country."

Trump was not always so positive regarding Romney's record. During an interview on CNN's "State of the Union" in April, Trump criticized Romney for eliminating jobs while in the private sector.

"He'd buy companies. He'd close companies. He'd get rid of jobs," Trump told CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley. "I've built a great company. My net worth is many many times Mitt Romney."

Gingrich, who dropped his bid for the GOP nomination in April, said in a CNN interview soon after suspending his campaign he was backing Romney.

"I said I want to campaign for him and he will appoint dramatically better judges than the president and he'll do a better job creating jobs than the president and he'll do far more to balance the budget. I went down the list of why Mitt Romney is better than Barack Obama," Gingrich said on "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer."

CNN's Steve Brusk and Kevin Liptak contributed to this report.

Also see:

Obama campaign expands Bain attack and general election ad buys

Poll: Romney takes lead in Florida

Palin endorses Utah's Hatch in Senate race

Arkansas, Kentucky primaries pose challenge for Obama

Filed under: Donald Trump • Mitt Romney • Newt Gingrich
  1. Kyle

Or you can dine with George Clooney and all of his folks with Obama.
    This is getting rather silly, and I'm a Romney supporter.
    Let's get to the substance...I say let's pick teams.
    Romney, his VP. And then his cabinet selects.
    vs.
    Obama, Biden, and their cabinet.
    The House and Senate Republican Leadership versus the Democrat leadership.
    Why not, as the team debates would really prepare us. We should know who the Romney team will be and what their plan is versus what we currently have.
    Imagine Ron Paul vs. Geitner on the Treasury.
    Clinton vs. Gingrich on Secretary of State.
    EPA, Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, Education, Health and Human Services.
    I want to see both teams debate til November – then we can make an educated choice on who to vote for. It's time we demand more, from the right and left, on what we are getting.

May 24, 2012 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  2. Obama supporter turned Romney supporter

Obama had so much hope... but let it all go by the wayside... give romney a go!

May 25, 2012 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  3. acajunthatsagun

Finally, the three Stooges reunited.

May 25, 2012 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  4. FedUpPeriod

I just read an article here yesterday about the birthers. Supposedly, Romney wants to distance himself from them... now he's campaigning with one. Strange.

May 25, 2012 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  5. david mann

Hard to tell which is the most arrogant, Gingrich or the donald. They're HEAD n HEAD down the stretch.

May 25, 2012 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  6. Daniel

As a conservative I think this is the kiss of death. I hate to say it but this makes Obama a shoe in...and I hate Obama

May 25, 2012 02:33 am at 2:33 am |
  7. john

Great. Triple treat! I love this!!!

May 25, 2012 02:38 am at 2:38 am |
  8. iambicpentamaster

Not a dime's bit of difference between them...

May 25, 2012 02:39 am at 2:39 am |
  9. morning1sun

This is what the Christian Republicans want?. The Democrats are more conservative than the Republicans, Romney, the Don, or Newt.. If you don't know what I am talking about it is this; Religion! Do you think these men go to church every Sunday! If they do are the thinking Jesus or what time the Mass will be over so they can go and fire somebody.
    I didn't know whether I wanted to puke or laugh out loud. It really made me sick that poor innocent people will vote Republicans. Just look at Mitch McConnel. He looks to be so mean and never smiles. What is with the Republican Party? What happened to President Lincohn's legacy. He would be so ashamed of the Republican Party if he could only see what has happened to it. God save us. Vote to re-elect President Obama. He is honestly trying to help us.

May 25, 2012 03:34 am at 3:34 am |
  10. B. Golan

Romney will not have my vote, and I really do not care who campaigns with him. Anyone who represents himself as a Conservative and contributes or campaigns for Romney is no Conservative and has lost my respect. The GOP has made a very serious mistake believing that we will vote for Romney because of what obungawana has done to this country. Romney is no better and I know this from personal excuse. If the American people are this stupid by voting for the false messiah, and now voting for Romney, then this country deserves no freedom.

May 25, 2012 03:47 am at 3:47 am |
  11. OCVoterinCA

I really thought Romney would go for an influential actor/sports figure but he wasn't smart enough to do that. No one really likes this guy Romney and I can see why now. President Obama got this re-election won already. Romney....you need to pack up the wife and kids, and go home. The show over for you Romney.

FORWARD Obama/Biden 2012

May 25, 2012 04:58 am at 4:58 am |
  12. scott

Romney, Trump beats Obama, Clooney any day, What do you have a fool for a president and a washed up actor that is trying to recapture his better years. Between the two of them they do not have enough brains to even equal Romney alone much less Romney and Trump together.

May 25, 2012 05:45 am at 5:45 am |
  13. Rosco1776

The 3 ring circus comes to Vegas! Keep it in Vegas!

Ron Paul 2012 or BU$T !!

May 25, 2012 06:16 am at 6:16 am |
  14. mrdeshon

I hate them all anyway! The 3 turds of Big Money!…& they want your soul in November!

May 25, 2012 06:46 am at 6:46 am |
  15. sick of republican phonies

Nice that he got an 8 year old to do the amateurish art for his poster.

May 25, 2012 07:15 am at 7:15 am |
  16. Dan5404

The funniest comedy tour in years. Try to miss it if you can.

May 25, 2012 07:54 am at 7:54 am |
  17. CS Hunter-Bell

I can just imagine this "Keystone Cops" scenario taking America by storm ... not! Go Mitt the wit!

May 25, 2012 07:54 am at 7:54 am |
  18. Quentin Kelly

This is typical of the tin ear Mitt has for politics. Take along two mopes with high negatives like Trump and Gingrich to accomplish what exactly?

May 25, 2012 08:01 am at 8:01 am |
  19. Alexandra Mark

It's amazing how much hate is generated by a simple act of reconciliation. Make fun of them, ridicule them, but Trump and Gingrich – for all their faults (and I know everyone of Obama's supporters is perfect, of course) are realists; they see the big picture: AMERICA and how to preserve it.

May 25, 2012 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  20. ladyliberty1776

So three incredibly rich people who mostly profit from selling out, wants you to give them more money. This is a joke! I guess Ron Paul should've sold out his beliefs for the big bucks. Then maybe he would've had a fair shot. So basically what we have in the end running-a corporate lying puppet or a wall street lying puppet. Wake up people. Neither of them care about the people, only the big banks and corporations that fund them.

May 25, 2012 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  21. Dan

Bad idea.
    These two do not enhance his message or his presentation.

May 25, 2012 08:18 am at 8:18 am |
  22. Meanwhile....

And the GOP continues to lose my support... Obama continues to make poor decision after poor decision (in my opinion) and certainly seems to try to be less like a president and more like a "good ole pal" every day (making him a clown in my eyes). Meanwhile in Tampa florida preparations are going on for a guy that is drawing thousands of supporters to the RNC and we hear nothing... not a peep. Our choice before us is pathetically and again a choice of one complete disaster or another while a perfectly good (albeit marginalized, demonized and otherwise distorted) candidate draws record crowds. I just wish the republicans would pull their head out of their asses (they seem to be taking notes from the dems) and atually put forth a candidate that people can rally behind. Mit is a joke, this article proves it. Hey Look, i brought my goon friends with me.... i mean what a bad choice.

May 25, 2012 08:32 am at 8:32 am |