GOP triple play: Romney, Trump and Gingrich to campaign together
May 24th, 2012

GOP triple play: Romney, Trump and Gingrich to campaign together

(CNN) – Presumptive GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney will be joined in Las Vegas next week by two of his backers: former candidate Newt Gingrich and reality television star Donald Trump.

The event will take place Tuesday at Trump's International Hotel on the Strip. Romney's campaign is also raffling a chance to have dinner with Trump for supporters who donate to the campaign.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I want you: Dine with the Donald," a campaign flier proclaims, along with a drawing of Trump.

The campaign offers: "Airport transportation in the Trump vehicle; Stay at the Trump International Hotel & Tower New York; Tour the Celebrity Apprentice Boardroom; Dine with Donald Trump and Mitt Romney."

Trump, who flirted with a bid for the White House last year, said he wouldn't run for the White House because he didn't want to cancel his reality show, "The Apprentice" in order to comply with equal air time laws for candidates.

After a parade of GOP candidates visited Trump in Manhattan, the celebrity business magnate finally announced he was backing Romney in February.

"It's my honor, real honor, to endorse Mitt Romney," Trump said, with Romney and his wife standing nearby. Calling Romney "tough" and "smart," Trump said, "he's not going to continue to allow bad things to happen to this country."

Trump was not always so positive regarding Romney's record. During an interview on CNN's "State of the Union" in April, Trump criticized Romney for eliminating jobs while in the private sector.

"He'd buy companies. He'd close companies. He'd get rid of jobs," Trump told CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley. "I've built a great company. My net worth is many many times Mitt Romney."

Gingrich, who dropped his bid for the GOP nomination in April, said in a CNN interview soon after suspending his campaign he was backing Romney.

"I said I want to campaign for him and he will appoint dramatically better judges than the president and he'll do a better job creating jobs than the president and he'll do far more to balance the budget. I went down the list of why Mitt Romney is better than Barack Obama," Gingrich said on "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer."

CNN's Steve Brusk and Kevin Liptak contributed to this report.

Also see:

Obama campaign expands Bain attack and general election ad buys

Poll: Romney takes lead in Florida

Palin endorses Utah's Hatch in Senate race

Arkansas, Kentucky primaries pose challenge for Obama

Filed under: Donald Trump • Mitt Romney • Newt Gingrich
  1. gar

3 comlete buffoons. they make the 3 stooges seem like straight men. Romney is a mindless panderer with nothing worthwhile to say about anything.. Trump and Gingrich get to compete for biggest blowhard and most irrelevant. The circus comes to Las Vega.

May 24, 2012 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  2. he be floppin

Let me see... a chance to have dinner with Obama and Clinton or with Mitt and Mr Bankruptcy King?!? If I choose the latter, I probably would have to listen to Mitt asking which of Trumps businesses is going under again, and then a plan to aquire it. Obama and Bill Clinton will be talking sports, women and how much better things are now versus 3 years ago.

May 24, 2012 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  3. The Film Professor

Ah, the Three Musketeers. Or the Wall Street Frito Banditos. Or maybe The Three Wall Street Stooges. This trio just writes the laugh lines themselves

May 24, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  4. The REAL Truth...

So the circus is hitting the road with the clown show. 3 performances nightly. Guaranteed to have you falling out of your chairs. By your ticket here.. cheap at $50k per seat..

May 24, 2012 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  5. The Real Tom Paine

I take it having a 4-time bankrupted reality star on the poster is a better draw than the nominee? Wow, what a lack of confidence in your product, GOP.

May 24, 2012 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  6. Morgan Hill, Ca

These 3 are just a bunch of clowns. They're all greedy, arrogant snobs. If they were serious about creating jobs and helping our country they would have done so during these past three difficult years. Instead they sat and complained and cheered for a bad economy. The arrogants' desires are to enrich themselves and their croony friends. DOWN WITH THE THREE CLOWNS, NOW LET'S DO THE RIGHT THING AND RE-ELECT PRESIDENT OBAMA AND BIDEN.

May 24, 2012 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  7. Claudia, Houston, Tx

I wouldn't give a penny to Newt Gingrich for him to take Callista shopping at Tiffany's and cruising in luxury around the World, not one single penny. And as for Donald Trump, I hope his next wife will be made in America.

May 24, 2012 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  8. Woman In California

Why do republican men like to hang around each other so much? It makes you wonder?

May 24, 2012 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  9. Curt

Mitt has now gone to an all time low. Offering dinner with the Donald. How pathetic.

May 24, 2012 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  10. Arch

kind of like the 3 stooges.

May 24, 2012 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  11. Tom

So what is a "better" judge, one that aligns with Newt's ideology or one that fairly interprets the law of land? Give me a break.

May 24, 2012 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  12. Marie MD

I must have heard wrong. I thought the new three stooges movie wasn't coming out until later this year or next.
    Just the thought of sitting at a table with any of these three clowns makes me puke!

May 24, 2012 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  13. iTALIAN NONNO

The 3 Stooges are coming to town. This should be good for a laugh.

May 24, 2012 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  14. Jim Hahn

I thought the Three Stooges was playing in the movie theaters? Now, they're taking it on the road?

May 24, 2012 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  15. GOP=CLOWN SHOW

WOW! And so the CLOWN show continues........POOR GOP AND POOR AMERICA IF teh voters are silly and suicidal enough to elect these fools!

May 24, 2012 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  16. Obama 2012 - BEND Forward America, take another 4 long years of FAILURE

I wonder if The Donald will fly the winner to the dinner in his personal jet? Now THAT would be AWESOME!!

EAT YOUR HEART OUT 99%ers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll bring you some leftovers... hahahaha

May 24, 2012 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  17. 2012liberal

Where's @four and the door, @bend and @wired? U think they'd b so proud!

May 24, 2012 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  18. 5041360

wait until steward/colbert take this on!

May 24, 2012 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  19. David B

Hey Newt has to pay off his debts somehow. But what is the deal with Trump?

May 24, 2012 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  20. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Woman in California – I was wondering that too. Are these three airport restroom wide stancers?

May 24, 2012 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  21. Greg

I haven't seen the 3 Stooges in a while, so this should be funny.

May 24, 2012 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  22. Scott O' Canada

C'mon man. File this under the "more harm than good" file in Mitt's campaign office. If this is what the American people want out of a future POTUS, then may God help you all. Now, where's my repellent...

May 24, 2012 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  23. Innkahoots

Three strikes and your OUT.

May 24, 2012 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  24. David B

A Mormon, an adulterer and a toupee walk into a bar!

May 24, 2012 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  25. Alaskatrailrunner

I can't think of anybody I would LEAST like to dine with than these three crooks and liars – unless you were to throw in Palin...

May 24, 2012 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |