GOP triple play: Romney, Trump and Gingrich to campaign together
May 24th, 2012

GOP triple play: Romney, Trump and Gingrich to campaign together

(CNN) – Presumptive GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney will be joined in Las Vegas next week by two of his backers: former candidate Newt Gingrich and reality television star Donald Trump.

The event will take place Tuesday at Trump's International Hotel on the Strip. Romney's campaign is also raffling a chance to have dinner with Trump for supporters who donate to the campaign.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I want you: Dine with the Donald," a campaign flier proclaims, along with a drawing of Trump.

The campaign offers: "Airport transportation in the Trump vehicle; Stay at the Trump International Hotel & Tower New York; Tour the Celebrity Apprentice Boardroom; Dine with Donald Trump and Mitt Romney."

Trump, who flirted with a bid for the White House last year, said he wouldn't run for the White House because he didn't want to cancel his reality show, "The Apprentice" in order to comply with equal air time laws for candidates.

After a parade of GOP candidates visited Trump in Manhattan, the celebrity business magnate finally announced he was backing Romney in February.

"It's my honor, real honor, to endorse Mitt Romney," Trump said, with Romney and his wife standing nearby. Calling Romney "tough" and "smart," Trump said, "he's not going to continue to allow bad things to happen to this country."

Trump was not always so positive regarding Romney's record. During an interview on CNN's "State of the Union" in April, Trump criticized Romney for eliminating jobs while in the private sector.

"He'd buy companies. He'd close companies. He'd get rid of jobs," Trump told CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley. "I've built a great company. My net worth is many many times Mitt Romney."

Gingrich, who dropped his bid for the GOP nomination in April, said in a CNN interview soon after suspending his campaign he was backing Romney.

"I said I want to campaign for him and he will appoint dramatically better judges than the president and he'll do a better job creating jobs than the president and he'll do far more to balance the budget. I went down the list of why Mitt Romney is better than Barack Obama," Gingrich said on "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer."

CNN's Steve Brusk and Kevin Liptak contributed to this report.

Also see:

Obama campaign expands Bain attack and general election ad buys

Poll: Romney takes lead in Florida

Palin endorses Utah's Hatch in Senate race

Arkansas, Kentucky primaries pose challenge for Obama

Filed under: Donald Trump • Mitt Romney • Newt Gingrich
  1. RINO Bil

Cool! I'd love to dine with the three stooges of the Conservative Movement. If we got Perry and/or Santorum, we could talk Marx Brothers.

May 24, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  2. scott

man oh man they are going to smoke Obama, Obama might as well give up now, he does not stand a chance,LOL, Real men real money, unlike our little boy Obama,

May 24, 2012 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  3. Donald "ORANGE JULIUS" Trump

For the sake of the poor restaurant, I hope its not an all-you-can-eat buffet.

May 24, 2012 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  4. scott

Woman In California

Why do republican men like to hang around each other so much? It makes you wonder?
    ________________________________________________________________

Why do democrat men like to hang around each other so much? maybe Obama is a closet Gay.

May 24, 2012 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  5. LawDude

I don't see a lot of legal commentary here, so I will post.

it is absolutely certain that there is no legal obligation for a customer to leave a mandatory gratuity. Restaraunts that have this practice run the risk of getting sued and losing big time.

What the restaraunt did in this case is known as false imprisonment. It is both a common law felony and tort. The fact that the officer could not speak on the legality of the situation only goes to show how uneduated our general public and general law enforcement are. This family has every right to sue the business in this case.

Best.

May 24, 2012 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  6. get real, America

Seriously? People would actually PAY for the "privilege" of dining with these three? They could start their own political leper colony! I don't think I could keep my food down when in such company. Ptomaine would be preferable to dining with those three. Or is Trump now hosting "The Biggest Loser?" He's got the right cast.

May 24, 2012 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  7. Jules

Ha! Trump can't even be original – he is doing a Dine With the Donald fundraiser, stolen from the president's campaign. We have Newt the Hoot who said awful things about Romney during the primaries, but not quite as awful as what Romney said about him. We have The Donald otherwise known as the perpetual joke with the hugest, unsatisfied ego ever and then we have Romney, who really doesn't know if he is coming or going. Latest thing is Romney saying that our children are gettin a third world education. Is this because President Obama is part Kenyan? My $10,000 bet is that Mitt Romney has never set foot in a third world classroom, otherwise he would know they look a bit dfifferent than walking through a primary grade room in this country where all the students are sitting in front of computer screens. I think that the GOP thinks that Americans are really stupid that he says such ridiculous things that have no basis in fact. Hey Mitt, talk to your grandkids, mine are writing and illustrating books in kindergarten, know more about the computer at 6 than I knew 60, doing math problems in kindergarten that we were doing the end of first grade or the begining of second gade and reading quite well before they ever set foot in the first grade.

May 24, 2012 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  8. Vote the Tea Party OUT in 2012

is there a room to hold the both the egos of Trump and Gingrich? Funny thing is there is You-Tube PROOF that they both SLAMMED Mitt Romney in the very recent past. Perhaps they should show that on the big screen behind them.

May 24, 2012 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  9. d

Oh Lord...this is the best the Romney campaign can do in response to Obama's "dinner with the President" pitch?

May 24, 2012 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  10. Copenhagun

Don't care.

May 24, 2012 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  11. Niuhc

@scott, obama came out of the closet recently, remember?

May 24, 2012 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  12. Oh Come On

Allright! The three stooges are back. BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

May 24, 2012 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  13. Scott O' Canada

Have to scrape me me up some some nickels together and get me a $3.00 ticket. Wonder what demographic there going after with this one? Hey, do you need a lottery license for this. First to the top of the Loser Pole wins.

May 24, 2012 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  14. Pete

So the republicans are bringing back the three stooges ,how entertaining.I hope for their sake they're smarter than those three but I doubt it,I really do!!How do you get three egos so big in one building,that'll be an engineering feat not seen in centuries,like the GREAT WALL OF CHINA,that big a deal...And how do you let them all talk,they all "know"so much,they'd give Einstein a good run for his money,wouldn't they,WOW!!Such political insight,such economic,financial prowess ,I'd go and take notes so I could be another millionaire just like them,my heros,WOW GEEZ!!!After this are they making a movie",THE FANTASTIC THREE"or something like it,move over Avengers, they'll be numero uno this summer,wait and see!!!But then the opposite could happen,they could explode,that definitely would be a nasty mess to clean up,I wouldn't want to be there,I assure ya,almost nuclear.Too much ego,not enough intelligence and don't when to stop bragging about themselves ,a real bad combination,much like that other amazing duo ,Bush and Cheney,that's a pair hopefully never ever to be duplicated,I shake just thinkin about it,don't you!!! LMAO!!!

May 24, 2012 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  15. Mrs G

I thought Trump was no longer a Republican?

May 24, 2012 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  16. Rudy NYC

Good Grief. Are they supposed to be "The Three Wise Men" of the right wing? They sure come across as if they think that's what they are. I once heard a footbal coach say something that almost sounded like this, "We know that they are not what they think they are."

May 24, 2012 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  17. King

I told you that Obama messing with big power to defend the helpless is a task that not many president can take on and overcome. These powerful folks who wants to compete with the powerful, by lowering their cost, by going to slave labor wages China will not tolerate Obama putting more taxes on them to modernize America so that millions of Americans will be put to work. These powerful folks wants mitten to push free trade so that Americans workers have to compete with Chinese slave workers for American jobs. Have you look at where most of your favorite items
    made. yes China.

May 24, 2012 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  18. vatoloke

A Clown Car reunion or what?

May 24, 2012 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  19. REPUBLICAN ARE THE GREATEST

Three great Americans will now campaign to get the worst President in history out of office this November. President Romney will get this Economy moving again come January 2013.

May 24, 2012 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  20. Witten

Keep raising the cash and lets get rid of the Campaigner and Chief.

May 24, 2012 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  21. DumbasRocks [R]s

You'd have to be dumber than a dishrag to support the policies of these 3 stooges. But I know there are plenty of you dishrags out there.......you goofy lemmings of the rightwing underbelly. Looks like scott is one of them...a skull emptier than outer space.

May 24, 2012 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  22. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Next they'll have Romney boozing it up, gambling and changing wives like you change underwear. I wouldn't want my husband associating with these clowns, if they don't do all of the above, then they will rob him blind.

May 24, 2012 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  23. Governor 47th in Job Growth

A weathervane, a pimp, and a blimp? I'll pass.

May 24, 2012 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  24. ARALE NORIMAKI

Donald Trump is a hypocrite and an idiot. His clothing/tie line is all made in China. But nobody buys his stuff so few people know about it. That's why he can go on TV and talk with his big mouth /comb over

May 24, 2012 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  25. Curt

How pathetic. Dinner with the Donald. Be the last thing I'd want to do is spend my dinnertime listening to Trump's ego. Even talking about the event he couldn't help mention that he's way richer than Romney. Mitt, you just reached an all time low. CNN, if you would just refrain from giving Trump any press he might go away.

May 24, 2012 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |