GOP triple play: Romney, Trump and Gingrich to campaign together
May 24th, 2012

GOP triple play: Romney, Trump and Gingrich to campaign together

(CNN) – Presumptive GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney will be joined in Las Vegas next week by two of his backers: former candidate Newt Gingrich and reality television star Donald Trump.

The event will take place Tuesday at Trump's International Hotel on the Strip. Romney's campaign is also raffling a chance to have dinner with Trump for supporters who donate to the campaign.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I want you: Dine with the Donald," a campaign flier proclaims, along with a drawing of Trump.

The campaign offers: "Airport transportation in the Trump vehicle; Stay at the Trump International Hotel & Tower New York; Tour the Celebrity Apprentice Boardroom; Dine with Donald Trump and Mitt Romney."

Trump, who flirted with a bid for the White House last year, said he wouldn't run for the White House because he didn't want to cancel his reality show, "The Apprentice" in order to comply with equal air time laws for candidates.

After a parade of GOP candidates visited Trump in Manhattan, the celebrity business magnate finally announced he was backing Romney in February.

"It's my honor, real honor, to endorse Mitt Romney," Trump said, with Romney and his wife standing nearby. Calling Romney "tough" and "smart," Trump said, "he's not going to continue to allow bad things to happen to this country."

Trump was not always so positive regarding Romney's record. During an interview on CNN's "State of the Union" in April, Trump criticized Romney for eliminating jobs while in the private sector.

"He'd buy companies. He'd close companies. He'd get rid of jobs," Trump told CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley. "I've built a great company. My net worth is many many times Mitt Romney."

Gingrich, who dropped his bid for the GOP nomination in April, said in a CNN interview soon after suspending his campaign he was backing Romney.

"I said I want to campaign for him and he will appoint dramatically better judges than the president and he'll do a better job creating jobs than the president and he'll do far more to balance the budget. I went down the list of why Mitt Romney is better than Barack Obama," Gingrich said on "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer."

CNN's Steve Brusk and Kevin Liptak contributed to this report.

Also see:

Obama campaign expands Bain attack and general election ad buys

Poll: Romney takes lead in Florida

Palin endorses Utah's Hatch in Senate race

Arkansas, Kentucky primaries pose challenge for Obama

Filed under: Donald Trump • Mitt Romney • Newt Gingrich
  1. Confused Citizen

I'd pay more for a seat where I couldn't see the Donald.

May 24, 2012 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  2. Wire Palladin, S. F.

With as much gas as these three can generate, they could power the city of Las Vegas.

May 24, 2012 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  3. Rudy NYC

Want to know just how circular and twisted conservative arguments are? Use your brain.

Assertion #1 – Giving wealth to those who didn't earn it is socialism and we don't want that.
    Assertion #2 – Giving tax cuts to the job creators will cause wealth to trickle down to the poor.

Those two concepts are mutually exclusive. Both conditions cannot co-exist in a real world. They try to sell people on both points. Since neither concept can exist in the presence of the other, neither concept can exist in the absence of the other.

This circular logic has brought to by the extreme right wing, and they endorse this message. It's their message, anyway.

May 24, 2012 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  4. sassysticks53

LOL! The Three Stooges! Yippie, Yappie and Yahowee!

May 24, 2012 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  5. Obama 2012 - BEND Forward America, take another 4 long years of FAILURE

And when I win this I want a copy of that poster with their autographs... especially one for President Romney!!

May 24, 2012 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  6. livingston

Put the three of them in the same room and you run the risk of creating the 'Black Hole of Stupidity'. Seriously, is that the best draw he could come up with? Dinner with him and two people who did nothing but rip him and his ideas apart for over a year? Gee that sounds like fun. Would we get to ask them if they were lying then or if they are lying now? They are just sad.

May 24, 2012 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  7. Anne P.

I t'd be hard to keep my food down. Yuck, no thanks.

May 24, 2012 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  8. Paqrat137

Governor 47th in Job Growth

A weathervane, a pimp, and a blimp? I'll pass
    __________________________________________________________
    Fantastic – Really really fantastic! – thanks!

May 24, 2012 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  9. bbrooker88

Wow! Dinner with two jerks and an elitist. A dream come true.

May 24, 2012 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  10. No Obama Drama

Like him or not, Donald Trump draws a crowd. I would love to see the boardroom and visit Trump Tower. I think it was a great idea. Some lucky person will hopefully have a marvelous time.

Best of luck to all! Enter often as limit allows because we don't want any more Obama Drama!

May 24, 2012 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  11. Sirned

Please God tell me this isn't real. They are the face of half the country? Really?...what has happened to this country? Lord help us...

May 24, 2012 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  12. Bessy

OMG ! I can't even imagine anyone wanting to pay to see these 3 losers together. Makes me want to barf.

May 24, 2012 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  13. Romney, Ryan, Rubio, Recession

Romney managed to reduce the unemployment rate by 0.9% during his entire 4 yrs as governor of MA after people deserted the state in droves. The state also ranked 47th out 50 in job creation. If Romney is an economic heavyweight, please give me G.W. Bush.

May 24, 2012 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  14. Nicholas

Given Romney's image as a very rich guy who likes to hangout with very rich friends is appearing with Donald Trump really such a good idea, especially given that Trumps image is of a rather smarmy publicity seeker? Just really bad opitics as far I can see and not well thought out. I suppose both Trump and Gingrich have some Tea Party & Birther appeal that Romney needs but this may ot play well to the general voting population.

May 24, 2012 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  15. MNTaxpayer

Larry, Moe and Curly. You can decide for yourself which is ehich.

May 24, 2012 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  16. M-W-T

I'd eat at "Godfathers" pizza before I'd eat with that IDIOT

May 24, 2012 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  17. Cynthia L.

People do know that these guys wear their clown shoes on the wrong feet, don't they??

May 24, 2012 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  18. Wire Palladin, S. F.

It would be worth it if Newt sat on T-Rump and Mittens cut his hair. That would make their pizza with a fork and cookies from 7-11 a meal of the gods.

May 24, 2012 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  19. California Gary

An obvious attempt to lock down the whacko vote.

May 24, 2012 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  20. Nicholas

I couldn't stomach having dinner with Donald Trump. I'd throw up. Hmmmm, maybe I will buy a ticket afterall.

May 24, 2012 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  21. mcskadittle

the circus is in town

May 24, 2012 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  22. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Train wrecks also draw crowds. Crap draws flies. The point is these three represent both scenarios.

May 24, 2012 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  23. switters

The "Clown Show" rolls on.......

May 24, 2012 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  24. Obama 2012 - BEND Forward America, take another 4 long years of FAILURE

Would it be too much to ask if the winner could bring their spouse so that all of these guys could bring their beautiful wives as well? Republicans, and especially the conservatives, ALWAYS have the hottest wives. Eat your heart our libtards...

May 24, 2012 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  25. Anonymous

If only we could harness the energy of all those lies confined in one small room!

May 24, 2012 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |