GOP triple play: Romney, Trump and Gingrich to campaign together
May 24th, 2012

GOP triple play: Romney, Trump and Gingrich to campaign together

(CNN) – Presumptive GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney will be joined in Las Vegas next week by two of his backers: former candidate Newt Gingrich and reality television star Donald Trump.

The event will take place Tuesday at Trump's International Hotel on the Strip. Romney's campaign is also raffling a chance to have dinner with Trump for supporters who donate to the campaign.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I want you: Dine with the Donald," a campaign flier proclaims, along with a drawing of Trump.

The campaign offers: "Airport transportation in the Trump vehicle; Stay at the Trump International Hotel & Tower New York; Tour the Celebrity Apprentice Boardroom; Dine with Donald Trump and Mitt Romney."

Trump, who flirted with a bid for the White House last year, said he wouldn't run for the White House because he didn't want to cancel his reality show, "The Apprentice" in order to comply with equal air time laws for candidates.

After a parade of GOP candidates visited Trump in Manhattan, the celebrity business magnate finally announced he was backing Romney in February.

"It's my honor, real honor, to endorse Mitt Romney," Trump said, with Romney and his wife standing nearby. Calling Romney "tough" and "smart," Trump said, "he's not going to continue to allow bad things to happen to this country."

Trump was not always so positive regarding Romney's record. During an interview on CNN's "State of the Union" in April, Trump criticized Romney for eliminating jobs while in the private sector.

"He'd buy companies. He'd close companies. He'd get rid of jobs," Trump told CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley. "I've built a great company. My net worth is many many times Mitt Romney."

Gingrich, who dropped his bid for the GOP nomination in April, said in a CNN interview soon after suspending his campaign he was backing Romney.

"I said I want to campaign for him and he will appoint dramatically better judges than the president and he'll do a better job creating jobs than the president and he'll do far more to balance the budget. I went down the list of why Mitt Romney is better than Barack Obama," Gingrich said on "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer."

CNN's Steve Brusk and Kevin Liptak contributed to this report.

Also see:

Obama campaign expands Bain attack and general election ad buys

Poll: Romney takes lead in Florida

Palin endorses Utah's Hatch in Senate race

Arkansas, Kentucky primaries pose challenge for Obama

Filed under: Donald Trump • Mitt Romney • Newt Gingrich
  1. American

A Flipper, Cheater & Birther...want you. Seriously?

May 24, 2012 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  2. Ken

If I paid FIVE dollars, could I have a guarantee that I will never have to spend any time with any of these three??????
    I couldn't imagine a more nauseating dinner!!!!

May 24, 2012 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  3. Former Republican for President Obama

Yuk, I would rather set my money on fire.

May 24, 2012 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  4. Scott

Maybe next Romney will campaign with Herman Cain and the host of Survivor.

May 24, 2012 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  5. getoverit

More hatred spewing from the Lefty Loon Haters!

May 24, 2012 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  6. Claudia, Houston, Tx

American and Ken, I love your comments, they are toooooo funny.

May 24, 2012 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  7. Sniffit

Tempted to pay $1 just on the off chance I'd get to tell them what I think of them to their faces.

May 24, 2012 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  8. Sniffit

Why don't they jsut make it a luncheon in Signgapore and they can invite the GOP/Teatrolls' new hereo, Saverin?

May 24, 2012 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  9. Claudia, Houston, Tx

P.S. Sounds like "the 3 are "posting up" for the Triple Crown Race.

May 24, 2012 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  10. chuck

3 stooges, what a joke. Hey Mitten, you go ahead and hang out with the Don, helps Obamas numbers go up. Thanks.

May 24, 2012 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  11. FloridaRes

Let's get this straight – Obama/Clooney vs Romney/Newt/Trump? Is there a contest here??/ I go for Obama/Clooney anytime. The GOP has really lost its mind.

May 24, 2012 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  12. T'sah from Virginia

►TRENDING: GOP triple play: Romney, Trump and Gingrich to campaign together◄
    What could be more exciting and fulfilling than Twiddly Dee – Dumb and Dumber?
    A FLIPPER – a BIRTHER and an ARROGANT trouble-MAKER
    Jeez – is that all they GOT – Hmm, I'll stick with our current policy-Maker –

Obama 2012 – The Only Trusted Way Forward!!

May 24, 2012 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  13. ppppuuuuuu

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohoohhohohohohohohohohoheeheeheeheehee, somebody help me up, the tears are flowing down my cheeks and i cant stop hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahah

May 24, 2012 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  14. normajean @ verizon ,com

Whats the matter??? Romney isn't big enough to run by himself.....he's got to bring in a couple of losers???If he wins will he take them to Washington with him??? This man is becoming a caricature..... There is NOTHING presidential about him!!!!He wants to get rid of every thing that holds our society together and go off on some crazy "big money" kick of his own.... I've been around for more than ten presidents and I have NEVER seen one who is so totally unsuited for the office.......He lives in a multimillionaire dream world and it just won't work in this world!!!!!

May 24, 2012 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  15. Anonymous

I dunno. It is bad enough that Mitt wants to be associated with Dick Cheney, and yet, here he is promoting himself with Donald Trump as well. Just more icing on the "what is Mitt Romney thinking" cake of stupidity...

May 24, 2012 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  16. Dan

Mo,Larry and Curly what a deal.

May 24, 2012 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  17. Shannon

the three stooges together again, what a joke these three men are. Really Republicans, this is the best you've got.

May 24, 2012 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  18. chilly g

neighter Donald or Newt has anything of value to offer our country but hate, the president will win by a
    small margin.

May 24, 2012 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  19. No Thanks

Have dinner with those three? I'd rather have a root canal w/o nitrous oxide. I'm serious. Really.

May 24, 2012 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  20. Root and stem

Could someone point me in the direction of the story about the Freedom of Religion lawsuit brought by Catholics against Obama ?

May 24, 2012 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  21. Neeni

All your negative comments go on deaf ears., THE CURRENT PRESIDENT HAD DINER WITH LOTS BILLIONAIRES WAS IT STOOGES TOGETHER AGAIN? MITT ROMNEY HAS THE SAME LEGAL RIGHT TO HAVE DINER with whoever he wants AND ANYONE HE PLEASES in his campaign trail. Hillary Clinton campaigned with the current prez in "08, what was it? Why is it bother you to see Gingrich, Trump and Romney together. they're all successful and loaded with economic experience to move the country FORWARD for good. Mitt Romney 2012

May 24, 2012 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  22. Neeni

What a geat idea ! now I'm positive I will vote for Mitt Romney POTUS. Go Mitt Ginrich Trump we need experience ppl.

May 24, 2012 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  23. Martha in CF

Sorry, I'll pass....................

Obama/Biden2012

May 24, 2012 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  24. Katy

This reminds me of when McCain chose Palin. What a dumb choice! Way to go Mitt! Obama 2012

May 24, 2012 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  25. Lizzie

FloridaRes, just shows you like living in a make believe world just like Clooney, he can't speak without a script and Pres. Obama without a telepromter.

May 24, 2012 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |