Romney-Trump 2012?
May 25th, 2012

Romney-Trump 2012?

(CNN) – The Donald says it's the buzz.

Asked Friday in a guest appearance on ABC's "The View" if he was interested in joining Mitt Romney's presidential ticket, Donald Trump asked, "Who would turn it down?"

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"A lot of people are asking that question," he added. Not known for his modesty, Trump said, "A lot of people are asking that question. I think probably that won't happen, but I'll do anything I can to help this country get balanced again because we are a mess."

Trump endorsed Romney in February, and is scheduled to participate in a fundraiser on Tuesday at his Las Vegas casino with Romney and former GOP presidential candidate Newt Gingrich.

Trump has become a vocal and effusive backer of Romney in television appearances and on social media. Before endorsing Romney, he met with several of the GOP presidential candidates and even announced a presidential debate, which was later canceled when several candidates declined the invite.

He said Friday that he was performing well in polling at the time. Although he briefly fared well in national polls early in the election cycle, several surveys from last spring showed a majority voters ultimately disapproving of a Trump candidacy. One released hours before he announced he would not seek the White House showed seven out of ten Americans saying he had "no chance" of winning the election.

Trump brings perceived baggage to the Romney campaign, including his questioning of President Barack Obama's birthplace and birth certificate. He and other prominent conservatives have raised questions about Obama's birth, as "natural born" U.S. citizenship is a requirement for the presidency.

"Donald Trump has become the 'birther' in chief," Ben LaBolt, a spokesman for Obama's re-election campaign, said on MSNBC Friday.

Though Trump tweeted as recently as last Friday "Let's take a closer look at that birth certificate," Kevin Madden, a Romney adviser, said Friday that questions about Trump's views on Obama's nationality should be a thing of the past.

"When you endorse someone, you are basically signing onto their views," Madden said on MSNBC.

Eric Fehrnstrom, a senior adviser to Romney, on Friday said, "I can't speak for Donald Trump ... but I can tell you that Mitt Romney accepts that President Obama was born in the United States."

"He doesn't view the place of his birth as an issue in this campaign," Fehrnstrom said on CNN's "The Situation Room."

Obama released the long-form version of his birth certificate in April 2011 that shows he was born in Hawaii on August 4, 1961. Soon after it was released, Trump announced he would not make a bid for the GOP presidential nomination.

Trump made light of the issue in his appearance on "The View," when one of the co-hosts handed him a slip of paper and called it her birth certificate.

"I'd like to see Obama's," he quipped.

Also see:

Obama campaign expands Bain attack and general election ad buys

Poll: Romney takes lead in Florida

Palin endorses Utah's Hatch in Senate race

Arkansas, Kentucky primaries pose challenge for Obama

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump • Mitt Romney
  1. inga

i love it ! take that china!!!!!

May 26, 2012 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  2. sayer

Heaven help us.

May 26, 2012 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  3. cigarman

This sounds like a great ticket, the only thing better would be , Romney and Palin or Romney and Bachman. Obama is NOT a great President yet, although I don`t hear him saying, Take away womens rights, do away with Medicare, do away with unions, do away with social security and many other things that the middle class and seniors have. I just cannot fathom in my mind why ANYONE except Multi- Millionaires would vote for any Republican. People had better wake up and vote for the Lesser of the two evils. Vote Obama, and I am a Republican. My party is out to destroy the average American.

May 26, 2012 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  4. PulTab

If god is a democrat, we will have a mittens/rump ticket!

May 26, 2012 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  5. Copper's Donut Shoppe

romney and trump in the same room ~ a gas collector could be placed over them and they could become a power plant.

May 26, 2012 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  6. jim

I hope Trump gets the VP slot. It would help Obama win. I can't even begin to imagine Tboy as a candidate let alone office holder. Carrot Top would be better. He'd at least have a shot at being funny. Tchild just makes me want to puke and then shoot myself.

May 26, 2012 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  7. ????

Trump would do for Romney what Palin did for McCain.

May 26, 2012 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  8. Eddie The Barber

Yeah Boy – I think Donald would be great – the first orange headed VP in the history of this great country. Maybe Mitt could do his hair blue to match.

May 26, 2012 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  9. Abraham

Trump won't capture the GOP's VP slot, and President Obama will win the election this november. Both of those are highly favorable outcomes for the USA.

May 26, 2012 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  10. Anonymous

Get Ob out of there

May 26, 2012 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  11. JJ

Oh, please, please, PLEASE let Trump get together with Romney! The result will be a smackdown of biblical proportions, a heck of a lot better than the one John McSame earned himself when he decided to make the Lipsticked Yapping Chihuahua his VP running mate. LOL! Romney has no chance anyway, he's just a retread loser who lost to a loser who got smackdowned by President Obama. All you right win chumps will just have to learn to deal with that. :)

May 26, 2012 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  12. dah00

It'd be great for Romney to pick Trump. That would sink his ship.

May 26, 2012 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  13. American

Romney = Birther nonsense

Obama/Biden 2012

May 26, 2012 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  14. Indy

Romney Trump would rev up the base and extreme right, but it would guarantee that Republicans would lose all Independents and any chance of switching a democrat. It is an excellent idea to pick Trump if you want to lose, and lose BIG.A Democrats dream is Romney Trump ticket

May 26, 2012 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  15. PulTab

What a dream come true for we dems. Two absolute losers...........both born on third base and thinking they hit a home run. Another bush.

May 26, 2012 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  16. Ralph in Orange Park, FL

Why not? They both like to fire people.

May 26, 2012 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  17. LiberaLIowan

Romney / Trump movie at 67.55.108.167

May 26, 2012 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  18. papawnick3705

A simple solution is available. Just produce the "original" birth certificate, not what has been shown as live birth. I have a certified phostat of my birth certificate that shows all the info about my birth. It shows who, where, what, when hoe and why. I have shown it to get a passport, join the USMC, get a drivers license, etc. So Mr. Prez why the big secret? I guess it is to have a whipping boy so no one will think to question why?

May 26, 2012 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  19. John

Hair plugs and comb-overs for all Americans.

May 26, 2012 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  20. madscat

Say goodbye to the middle class..I'm predicting mass genocide. I'm sure republican's will find a way to make a profit from the consumerist corpses they trample upon.

I may as well gas myself now.

May 26, 2012 11:31 am at 11:31 am |