Romney releases new Memorial Day video
May 28th, 2012

Romney releases new Memorial Day video

(CNN) - Ahead of Mitt Romney's Memorial Day appearance with Sen. John McCain in California Monday, the presumptive GOP presidential nominee released a new web video thanking military troops and veterans.

"A lot of young Americans are risking their lives in distant battlefields today," Romney said in a statement. "Memorial Day is a day to give thanks to them, and to remember all of America's soldiers who have laid down their lives to defend our country. As we enjoy our barbecues with friends and families and loved ones, let's keep them in our thoughts and in our prayers."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Romney will attend an event with McCain, who was held as a prisoner of war for more than five years in Vietnam, at the Veterans Museum and Memorial Center in San Diego, California.

"I am honored to be celebrating Memorial Day this year with John McCain. I don't have to tell John's story; the world already knows it. But it is what today's holiday is all about: sacrifice, valor, honor, courage, and love of country," Romney said.

Also see:

Poll: Romney leads Obama among veterans

Wisconsin recall's a 'test run,' DNC chair says

Giuliani gets over ego and praises Romney

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • Veterans
  1. A not-so-stupid former republican

Why doesn't Rommey tell his own story? His story is that of a rich boy draft dodger! Pretty pathetic for a chicken hawk that wants to be President

May 28, 2012 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  2. Paul Williamson

what a phoney...Mitt dodged the draft in Vietnam while sipping wine in Perris supported by his rich father, and NONE of his five sons have served. Romney is only interested in money (for him and his family), will most likely get us into another Republican war which will bankrupt the US, and will only benefit the large defense companies (he wants to increase militaery spending by 20%!) I'm looking forward to November, when hopefully he will disappear forever from public view, like Sarah Palin.

May 28, 2012 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  3. GonzoinHouston

I'm not a Romney supporter, but enough with the "he and his sons never served" routine! Mitt was not dodging the draft in France during the Viet Nam war. He was doing the same kind of missionary work that all Mormons are expected to do. He was still subject to the draft, but I don't know what his random selection number was. (ask someone over 55). As for his sons, well, very few wealthy people go into our all-volunteer force these days. I encountered many Mormons in the Navy, and other than not drinking coffee they were standard-issue sailors and officers.

May 28, 2012 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  4. A not-so-stupid former republican

The position that the Mormon faith does not allow Mormons to take a life is a red herring. There are many ways one can serve in the military in a non combat role. It's too bad that these people like to enjoy the privileges given them by those who died but can do nothing to serve their country. Missions to serve their religion do not count. I'lll bet Romney would not have a problem with sending someone else's sons to fight in a war.

May 28, 2012 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  5. bcrunner

Not surprised! Most are older white men who cannot accept the fact that a black person is our Commander in Chief. If they took a survey of active servicemen and women, I bet the results would be the exact opposite.

May 28, 2012 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  6. sbssue1

He who lives in a glass house, should not cast stones! I can't believe the hate. We should stay home and take care of our own issues and let others take care of their own problems. We are supporting other countries while our own are in need.

May 28, 2012 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  7. Mark

It is interesting that veterans would support the GOP, since Bush sent them into 2 wars that were not necessary. And McCain still wants us to remain in war. Romney would start a war in an instant, he and his family never have serve in any military, yet veterans support him. But the same is women, with all the bills passed since 2010, white women continue to support the party who has taken away their rights. Republicans don't even think women deserve the same pay as men, but women support them. Must be the money in the GOP that attracts them.

May 28, 2012 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  8. videodrone

How about you get our boys out of Afghanistan, come down hard on Obama for not closing Gitmo and taking 3x longer than he promised for removing our troops out of Iraq. The use of American military forces in Libya etc. Thank US by using our military for defensive purposes.

-US Army Vet 2003-2007

May 28, 2012 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  9. Thomas

@bcrunner

I think your absolutely right ,and most who served in Afghanistan or Iraq have much respect for him.

May 28, 2012 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  10. Proud Vietnam vet

I am a vietnam veteran having served with the 9th Inf Div. In the Mekong Delta in 1968, and I proudly support President Obama. The Republican party as usual tries to claim patriotism as one of their own private values. Just to let Mitt Romney know that there are proud patriots who vote democrat.

May 28, 2012 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  11. anoel2005

do you think Michele Obama is finally PROUD of her country on this Memorial Day? After all, we sent her on 18 vacations with her whole entourage.

May 28, 2012 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  12. gilbert negrete

Why is it always the ones who never served always want to start wars. Mitt isn't even a real person with real problems
    what does he know about sending his kids off to war. He doesn't deserve to talk to any real soldiers who really served.
    It's easy to send "Our kids" to fight,where's your duty an Honor! Just go away.

May 28, 2012 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  13. Gurgyl

Bain capital...

May 28, 2012 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  14. James Klimaski

Something is wrong with this poll. Obama has been getting more campaign contributions from military personnel that almost all the other candidates for President combined. The only other candidate to receive any significant amount of contributions from service members has been Ron Paul. President Obama has done more for our troops and their families then any of the other presidents for that last 30 years.

May 28, 2012 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  15. Blue

Mitt has done nothing but to hide when it was his time to go to war. He is a joke and the biggest phony that I have ever seen. His sons are as bad as he is. Can you image that none of his five sons were in the military. What is wrong with this picture? President Obama has done everything in his power to clean up Bush/Cheney's mess.

May 28, 2012 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  16. Pogo

mittbain gets the WH its war on iran because repuglicans love the massive war machine profits they generate for there lbbyist.

May 28, 2012 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  17. judy

yeah thanks so my five boys didn't have to go. Obama and family support the military more than the last president and all the repos put togeather. The poll must have been mostly old white guys retired. Obama 2012

May 28, 2012 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  18. Republicans love wars

Romney can't wait to get us into more Stupid wars.

May 28, 2012 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  19. nonyabidnes2

Beware of stranger's (politican's) bearing gifts (lies). Rich people instead of sigining up for war, they use deferral's, or is it attending missionary work? I am a 2 tour Combat wounded Vietnam Vet, 1968-69-71-72. While there are arguments for both sides, If I had my choice, I'd vote for someone who has Military experience only. What frightens me in this upcoming election is the depth of talent running for office. I am not willing to let one obtain the office of President who panders to the wealthy. So I again will vote for the present POTUS.

May 28, 2012 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  20. Mr. 1% the "VULTURE CAPITALIST BUSINESSMAN" would outsource the poor, disabled, unemployed and elderly to China and sell America to the highest bidder!

"Mitt was not dodging the draft in France during the Viet Nam war."

Sorry, but yes he was avoiding the draft and was considered a "minister" while doing his missionary work in France and qualified for a religious deferral. The Coast Guard was another often used "safe haven" for the wealthy born before 1951.

His birthday was 3/12/1947 prior to the installation of the draft lottery process, deferrals were student, etc. Student deferrals ended in '69(last year to get a student deferral and I qualified)

I was the first year the random selection process was applicable, I was born in 1951, and that was in 1969 you had to be 19 for that year's lottery to apply. I was 18 and my number was 67 top third was sure to go, middle third a toss up and bottom third no chance. In 1970 when I was 19 my number was 293 no chance. Prior to the lottery the only way to avoid Viet Nam was via deferrals.

Nice try but inaccurate, this "missionary" work to avoid the draft would appear to also be Mr. 1%'s only "foreign policy" knowledge!

However, I do concur that the top 1% and their progeny do avoid military service, after all, that is what the children of the 99% are useful for, cannon fodder.

May 28, 2012 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  21. FedUpwithLA

"Change" – as Obama said in 2008!

May 28, 2012 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  22. Pogo

mittbains says his religion doesnt matter in this election, but it does to me. mittbains grandfather was part of group that lived in segrated compound in mexico where they had multiply wives and dozens of mixed race children. they had there own version of the "lost boys" I know becuase i knew a few of them but they where in the hundreds. And just what did mittbains grandfather do in mexico that earned him such wealth.

May 28, 2012 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  23. Rachel

So let me get this straight: even after Obama got BinLaden and told us how great of a job he had done, Romney now leads Obama with vets? What an embarrassement for the Obama administration. LOL

May 28, 2012 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  24. Mr. 1% the "VULTURE CAPITALIST BUSINESSMAN" would outsource the poor, disabled, unemployed and elderly to China and sell America to the highest bidder!

On a non-partisan note, my deepest thanks and respect for the service of all our veterans both on this day and the other 364!

May 28, 2012 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  25. samuel burnside

This poll is misleading ! I just retired in Sept. And 90% of the individuals I taked to and interacted with in the Navy are supporting the Prresident. Also, living in Live Oak, Tx. The majority of retiree are supporting the President. I am not sure who they polled. Now, if they just polled 60 and above Officers Vets. Then I am dure they support Mitt. Because the majority are old white male retired officers with good investments. And I am an retired officer from the Navy. And I support the president. I would like to know how these polls are sampled.

May 28, 2012 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |