Romney: Obama's 'going after me'
May 29th, 2012

Romney: Obama's 'going after me'

(CNN) – Mitt Romney accused President Barack Obama of waging a "personal attack campaign" in the 2012 battle for the White House.

"The president wants to make this a personal attack campaign. He's going after me as an individual," the presumptive Republican presidential nominee said in an interview that aired on Fox News Tuesday. "Look, I'm an American. I love this country."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

On the campaign trail, Romney often says he respects Obama's actions as a husband and father, while he disagrees with his policies.

And on Tuesday, Romney once again pitched himself as the candidate who can improve the economy and create jobs in the U.S.

"I have experience in the economy that's going to help me get good jobs for Americans so we can be secure again," Romney said.

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama
  1. hank

Romney attacks Obama, and when Obama replies Romney cries foul. Romney can criticize but can't stand criticism. Maybe he need to go back to Bain.

May 29, 2012 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  2. Andrew

Personal attacks? It goes both ways Mittens! And it's a campaign. At least one of the guys he is campaigning with isn't telling people you weren't born in the US.

May 29, 2012 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  3. Bill

Amazing. The king of the attack ads can not take his own medecine. Got news for you Mittens, this is only the beginning.

May 29, 2012 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  4. Cfrench

I think an individual's character has a LOT to do with running for president. If someone's a flip-flopping magic underpants wearing job killing gay basher then yes, I think these personality traits ARE important and worth dicussing in the public forum.

I think someone needs to call Mitt a waaaaaambulance.

May 29, 2012 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  5. Abe Vigoda

Good for Mitt... the President can only run on his record and attack Romney on a personal level. If Mitt stays above the mess and avoid red herring issues (who care about "Birther" questions? That has already been played out), he's got a chance to win this. People forget that President Obama was attacked by both Clinton and Biden for lack of knowledge in world affairs. I think Romney's back ground helps in a struggling global market.

May 29, 2012 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  6. Myviewis

If Obama does stick to this "personal attack campaign" on Romney then Obama opens the door for Romney to do the same to Obama.

May 29, 2012 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  7. bayou2

An what the hell does that mean, I love this country, I'am an American?

May 29, 2012 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  8. Steve in CT

This from the guy who had the 3rd worst job growth of any state as governor. Who didn't run for reelection, because of his 28% approval rating.

May 29, 2012 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  9. kakaraka

Yeah right. I'm a businessman. I have experience in the private sector now change to I have experience in the economy. Duh. How many jobs did you create when you was a governor of the relatively small state of Massachusetts? You ranked 47th in job creation, why your experience in the economy didn't help you create jobs back then? I'm not talking about your jobs killing at Bain Capital but about your experience as governor. This guy thinks we are stupid to don't know he was a governor with a terrible jobs record. Give Obama a break. It's amazing when one examines your Bain Capital job destroying record and past statements, you said they are engaged into personal attacks against you. What a yahoo!

May 29, 2012 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  10. GROVER NORQUIST IS A ENEMY OF THE STATE/ConservaFASCISTS

You're an American who shipped away American jobs. Stop whining like a little wuss. Man up! How about you stand up to the Donald Trump's and Rush Limbaugh's of your party.

May 29, 2012 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  11. Debra from Georgia

Mr. Romney what do you want the President to do? Sit down and be timid while you and your corrupt friends on wall street drop millions of dollars on top of his head. Yeah right!!!!!

May 29, 2012 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  12. kevin

Why are all of his interviews on Fox and not a real news agency?

May 29, 2012 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  13. Butch in the Carolinas

Obama's attacks on Romney – or anyone else – sure says a LOT about his own poor character! It reminds me of a
    spoiled child! While Romney is taking the "high road," Obama is sloshing in the mud.

May 29, 2012 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  14. Linda

Romney is only 1% American. The 99% must vote out the GOPs aggression.

May 29, 2012 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  15. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Willard, you brought Bain and the companies and jobs you created/destroyed in order to maximize your profits. Sounds like he is only using the ammunition you already brought to the firing range.

May 29, 2012 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  16. ST

The problem with Romney is: He didn't sell anything during the primaries, and is not expected to sell any come General Election. People can attack us on buying: "Hope and Change", but this narrative still stands. If one is giving up hope and not of thinking of making any changes, he/she doomed to die!

May 29, 2012 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  17. DAK2742

Mitt, the only experience you have in creating jobs is for yourself. I've not heard word one out of your mouth that makes sense relating to creating jobs for the average American.

May 29, 2012 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  18. Hank

Buy yourself a clue, Mitt. It's not just President Obama, it's most Americans that can't stand your guts. Go back to BAIN and do what you do best--vulture capitalism.

May 29, 2012 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  19. Frankie

'I am an American." Implying that the President isn't? Slime politics.

May 29, 2012 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  20. Al-NY,NY

awwwwwww. Poor Flippy. That mean old Obama person is going after him. What a victim!! Romney is getting more pathetic by the day

May 29, 2012 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  21. emma

Keep it up, Obama. Keep "going after" him!

May 29, 2012 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  22. Mike from Calgary

Romney's remarks get SILLIER AND SILLIER! Romney says "I have experience in the economy to help me get good jobs for Americans" but when one scrutinizes that records Romney has been touting, Romney pouts that he's being attacked personally! Romney is a Dream Candidate .... for the Democrats, The conservatives and pro-lifers (that includes me) could not have chosen a weaker or more flawed candidate. Given all the damage to the economy by Republican policies and obstructionism, all the havoc wreaked to the Massachusett's economy during Romney's stewardship (One can't say leadership as Romney is no leader), the Republicans could not have chosen a weaker candidate than Romney.

May 29, 2012 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  23. Anonymous

Oh, for God's sake, Romney. GROW UP and stop making a fool out of yourself ... if you can. [ I have my doubts. ]

May 29, 2012 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  24. s

Bo HO Bo HO cry me a river

May 29, 2012 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  25. Dvet

Since robmey is a one percenter he should only receive one per cent of the votes. these repubics need to go before they start a war in america that they cant win.

May 29, 2012 11:58 am at 11:58 am |