Poll: Michelle Obama quite liked
May 30th, 2012

Poll: Michelle Obama quite liked

(CNN) - First lady Michelle Obama is still a popular figure in the United States, according to a new poll of Americans released Wednesday.

The Gallup survey indicated the first lady has a 66% favorable rating, unchanged from two years ago and consistent with the figures she received when her husband, Barack Obama, was sworn in as president.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Although her rating did not top 54% during the 2008 presidential campaign, she received a boost shortly before inauguration in 2009, to 68%.

Americans tend to view first ladies more positively than presidents, a trend continued in the current administration. Michelle's favorable figure has averaged nine percentage points higher than her husband, who 52% of Americans view in a positive light, according to the latest Gallup figures.

Former first lady Laura Bush, wife of former President George W. Bush, averaged a 73% rating during her eight years in the White House. Hillary Clinton, the current secretary of state and wife of former President Bill Clinton, received an average of 56% through Clinton's two terms.

Also see:

Gingrich: Obama an 'American-born job-killing president'

Romney hits 'magic number' for GOP nomination

Incumbent outraised Democratic challenger in Wisconsin gubernatorial contest

Romney makes stop at raucous Vegas rally

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Polls
  1. Marie MD

@ed1, yes because Laura #43 didn't spend a third of her husband's administration flying with him to midland for vacation and all over the country and the world.
    Any president and his family, even the idiots like bush, need and deserve to be treated for what they are, our president whether you like them or not!
    Michelle Obama is one cool woman. She also knows what it is to gphave children and a real job. She has proven that she can chew gum and walk at the same time plus she is bringing up those two girls with more dignity and responsibility than wifey flip flopper ever did with her five non serving sons.

May 30, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  2. The Real Tom Paine

-demwit

But is she still proud to be an American? And when will that change.., again.
    **************************************
    When conservatives start hating most Americans...., again. Conservatives love the country, they just despise everyone in it.

May 30, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  3. Mark in Seattle

Nothing Stepford about her. She rocks!

May 30, 2012 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  4. ThatsIt121

She has been a decent First Lady, but not for much longer.

May 30, 2012 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  5. Mark

The Real Tom Paine

-demwit

But is she still proud to be an American? And when will that change.., again.
    **************************************
    *****************************************************************
    @The Real Tom Paine....Ding, ding, ding.....Lucky you!!!! You've just received the award for the most untruthful and dumbest comment. Begin to look for your award in the mail. It should be arriving soon.

May 30, 2012 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  6. Laverne

It just pains some to see that beautiful, intelligent, dark brown skin woman as first lady! She is awesome and will be around for 4 more years!

May 30, 2012 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  7. Lynda/Minnesota

Michelle Obama has done nothing to me personally to cause me not to like her, so yes, I like her just fine! I am also proud to call her First Lady of the United States.

May 30, 2012 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  8. cancergal

I would like to give her a big credential to address the problem of children obesity in this country. Seldom does she cross line and she always ignores the personal attacks from the rightwing nuts.
    I also admire Laura Bush who is always so graceful to response the attacks , unlike her husband, I was so embarrassed & nerves every time he tried to utter a sentence when he's a president.

May 30, 2012 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  9. The Real Tom Paine

-Really?

Duh; no one is going to say they dislike her because they would be called a racist.
    Truth is we can like her but not her liberal ideas and the fact that she was never proud of this country until her Marxist husband was on the ballot.
    *****************************************************
    What liberal ideas? Like eating properly and exercising? By the way, the righties loved the individual mandate until Obama embraced it. So many things that Obama embraced have their roots in the now-extinct bipartisan impulses of the GOP. Its their own damn pride that prevents them from acceptting them now.

May 30, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  10. jb1963

Imagine how high her and the president's ratings would be if it were not for racism?

May 30, 2012 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  11. Gloria

This is one woman I would feel so honored to meet; I'd love to shake hands with my First Lady, Michelle Obama!!

May 30, 2012 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  12. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ The Real Tom Paine
    -------------------------------------------------
    I do not think it is their pride, as they have shown one and all that they have none left.
    Whatever "pride" this once venerable Party had has been sold, or traded in for greed, quest for power, and racist hate of the first half-Black, but all Black-looking POTUS.
    So no my friend, it s not pride at all that is keeping these things from embracing and signing off on things that they themselves either supported or espoused.

May 30, 2012 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  13. DENNA

Michelle's critics are not fit to walk behind her. This is the quintessential woman. She has worked hard all of her life and now is a beacon to families looking for answers to better nutrition for their families. If conservatives could stop hating long enough, they might actually find that they like this level-headed woman.

May 30, 2012 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  14. DENNA

@Lorri – All you Obama lovers can speak for yourelves. Stop speaking for everyone else. She is not liked by all! I can't stand her or her ignorant husband. She is only proud to be an American when America is bending over and kissing her you know what! Vote them out to make America a better place!!!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    OMG the hatred coming off you is so strong my computer is smoking. If you stop hating, maybe the sun will come out in your life. I feel really really sorry for you.

May 30, 2012 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  15. john

"Michelle's critics are not fit to walk behind her."

You're right about that, she does have a very wide load !

May 30, 2012 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  16. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Gloria

-------------------------------------------------
    Ditto Gloria.
    The superlative, goose-pimple producing,indescribable pride that I felt (and still feel)towards my country on the night when Americans of all hues and backgorunds elected him President by an OVERWHELMING majority still lives in my heart.
    I saw the country that I swore allegiance to moving with a powerful surge towards freedom. Complete freedom. Freedom of the mind, freedom from long-held beliefs and prejudices. Freedom.
    No Birther, no Joe Wilson, no Teatard, no Koch brother, no Citizens United, and no pledge-first-country-last GOP nominee with one hand on the Bible and the other holding the flag of this country will EVER take that away from me. EVER.
    When I leave this earth I will still have THAT smile on my face.
    Obama 2012. Seriously America.

May 30, 2012 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  17. GailS

I think she's wonderful and I love what she's doing with the "Let's Move!" campaign. I liked Laura, wasn't too crazy for Hilary, and I'm nuts for Michelle. America has had some great first ladies.

May 30, 2012 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  18. Debby

I have to say all 3 ladies have had accomplished goals while being First Ladies.

May 30, 2012 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  19. DENNA

@ john – "Michelle's critics are not fit to walk behind her." You're right about that, she does have a very wide load !

**********************************************************************
    LOL John, my guess is that you have would not even know what to do with a beautful, intelligent woman like Michelle. Actually, I seriously doubt that you could even attract a woman of her caliber.

May 30, 2012 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  20. MaryAnn in VA

It is so funny that many of you have expressed such hatredfor Mrs Obama. She has done a good job and has focused America's attention on the childhood obesity epidemic, the dangers of non stop TV watching and video games and becoming self sustaining and saving money by growing your own veggies and fruit. Sounds like a really far left idea. Well keep drinking your hater-aid. Mrs Obama is awesome, her girls are awesome. Keep up the good work Mrs O!

May 30, 2012 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  21. Dominican mama 4 Obama

DENNA
    -------------------------------------------------
    BAM!!!
    john? Are you there john?!
    Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!!

May 30, 2012 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  22. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Somebody needs to help john up!!
    Hold on john, help is on the way!!!
    LOL!!

May 30, 2012 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  23. The Real Tom Paine

-Mark

The Real Tom Paine

-demwit

But is she still proud to be an American? And when will that change.., again.
    **************************************
    *****************************************************************
    *******************************************
    Really? What's my prize, supporting the uber-wealthy with Mitt's tax cuts so my kids can look forward to a lifetime of servitude? Please, I obviously struck a nerve with you so thanks for the feedback. If only the conservatives did not make it so damn easy to ridicule them......

May 30, 2012 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  24. Loop

I think she is a stand up First Lady. Doing what a First Lady is supposed to do. That is pick a cause and drive results forward for that cause. She has done that with the Obesity program. Kudos to her. Where I have an issue is she relishes the limelight of Hollywood and TV. The other First Ladies didn't engage in that activity unless it was in support of the cause. Michelle does it because she likes the limelight.

May 30, 2012 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  25. Marie MD

Face teapublikans. Mrs. Obama is one classy lady. She's smart and likeable. She is great in interviews and she she seems genuine. She's is also middle class so she knows what the 99% is going through right now that her husband is trying to help us but the weeper of the house with his handlers won't let him do it.
    You folks are upset because your flip flopping wife is not liked as much or at all by so many. You can only pretend to be poor so many times when you have two Caddys, nannies and that coming to the La Jolla mansion car elevators.

May 30, 2012 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |