Poll: Michelle Obama quite liked
May 30th, 2012

Poll: Michelle Obama quite liked

(CNN) - First lady Michelle Obama is still a popular figure in the United States, according to a new poll of Americans released Wednesday.

The Gallup survey indicated the first lady has a 66% favorable rating, unchanged from two years ago and consistent with the figures she received when her husband, Barack Obama, was sworn in as president.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Although her rating did not top 54% during the 2008 presidential campaign, she received a boost shortly before inauguration in 2009, to 68%.

Americans tend to view first ladies more positively than presidents, a trend continued in the current administration. Michelle's favorable figure has averaged nine percentage points higher than her husband, who 52% of Americans view in a positive light, according to the latest Gallup figures.

Former first lady Laura Bush, wife of former President George W. Bush, averaged a 73% rating during her eight years in the White House. Hillary Clinton, the current secretary of state and wife of former President Bill Clinton, received an average of 56% through Clinton's two terms.

Also see:

Gingrich: Obama an 'American-born job-killing president'

Romney hits 'magic number' for GOP nomination

Incumbent outraised Democratic challenger in Wisconsin gubernatorial contest

Romney makes stop at raucous Vegas rally

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Polls
  1. Moonbeam

Mrs. Obama had serious interests and causes for which she worked long before she even became first lady. She didn't have to find a "cause" once she was in the White House in order to pretend to be a woman of substance - she already was. She is not just a pampered, unaccomplished and shallow socialite, as some previous First Ladies have been (excluding Hillary Clinton, of course, who was also an attorney, as Michelle Obama was).

May 30, 2012 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  2. tkret

One of Michelle's big things is 'childhood obesity'. One way to stop it is make the kids go out and play, and stop spending so much time on their cell phones, iphones, droids, etc. Why go out and play ball with my friends, I can interact with them in front of my TV, via text, tweet, facebook...
    A lot of young children should eat healthier, but I do not think the Government should be the one pushing that issue. Next thing they will want is for everyone to start reporting people to the litter police, or the smoking police, or the alcohol police...
    Remember the 9 most dreaded words in the English language are " I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help."

May 30, 2012 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  3. Scott

I'm a Conservative and I have to give Michelle praise for her Play 60 program. I think it is awesome how she is motivating so many fat and lazy democrats to get out and exercise.

May 31, 2012 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  4. TexMan

When I see her ...... hear anything she has to say ....... I want to throw up.

May 31, 2012 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  5. love344@tiscali.it

our First Lady is classy intelligent woman!

May 31, 2012 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  6. Cheesemeup

I get in the chow line she's in,
    hate the rich PC people, I would turn into a rabbit if I wanted a daily diet of lettuce.
    You know the rich just want all the meat for themselves!!!
    I don't need mit's wife to shovel calivar down my thought!!!! It was made to wipe out the 99 Percent

Freedom 2012!!!!!!!

May 31, 2012 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  7. Dee

what's not to like? she's awesome!

May 31, 2012 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  8. Jeff in San Diego

What is surprising is that 33 percent of people don't like her. Why? All she's done is promote healthy lifestyle choices. This is why I'm sure there's a racial element going on in people's hate of Obama.

May 31, 2012 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  9. Larry L

I find it discouraging that the right-wingers can actually find something negative to say about the wonderful wife, mother and First lady. The scary part is they don't see themselves as racists. In some perverted logic I'd actually respect them more if they'd just "come out of the closet" and declare themselves haters of African Americans. It would just seem a little more honest... disgusting... but more honest.

May 31, 2012 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  10. mlblogssargeanton

Does she like this country yet? Or will she and her organizer settle back in their Kenyan homeland after they lose the election? - On our dime, of course, for the rest of their miserable lives.

May 31, 2012 01:45 am at 1:45 am |
  11. Anonymous

keep up the good work, mrs obama!!!!!!

May 31, 2012 02:22 am at 2:22 am |
  12. say-it

A strong woman! Michelle- if they don't like you they (some Americans) have deeper issues! Some Americans prefer a first lady that looks sedated (stepford wife) seen not heard. And that is not Michelle -she to is a leader too. That's what I want and this Country needs! If my Country is to succeed we (the people) have to agree and understand we are what keeps government from being corrupt and for getting the the ones that give them power.... we all understand we give them poer for protection. How easy could that be taken advantage of? Hummmmmm?

May 31, 2012 02:48 am at 2:48 am |
  13. Nodack

She is liked by those who aren't Republicans. Of course they hate her. They would be shunned from the group if they liked any Democrat.

May 31, 2012 04:11 am at 4:11 am |
  14. unfiltered

First Lady Michelle Obama said, "for the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country because it feels like hope is finally making a comeback."

Then in Madison, she said, "For the first time in my adult lifetime, I’m really proud of my country, and not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change."

May 31, 2012 05:10 am at 5:10 am |
  15. Everett Wallace

on a scale of 1 to 10 I give here a three.

May 31, 2012 05:12 am at 5:12 am |
  16. Everett Wallace

she is just a female and what is the big deal

May 31, 2012 05:13 am at 5:13 am |
  17. Guest

Let's see. The left says we hate obama because he's black but we love Michelle....This is why we see thru their lies and propaganda. Just whatever the lamestream media says.

May 31, 2012 05:25 am at 5:25 am |
  18. alyarby

I am a staunch conservative and would never support Obama's re-election. Personally, I don't at all care for Mrs. Obama's tremendous love of the celebrity spotlight - I think she is just as in love with herself as her husband is with himself. But I do think the campaign to reduce childhood obesity is smart and I think she is going about it the right way. When I am out shopping or doing anything, it's impossible to NOT see the large number of very large kiddies out and about - I would often estimate 40% or 50% are overweight. This is no way to raise future generations.

May 31, 2012 06:00 am at 6:00 am |
  19. joeconservative

Her next book, "How to vacation on taxpayer $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"..............what a disgusting fraud this lady is!

May 31, 2012 07:07 am at 7:07 am |
  20. Don

I'm not sure how anyone could dislike Michelle Obama

May 31, 2012 07:19 am at 7:19 am |
  21. Charlie from the North

What is not to like? She is intelligent, beautiful, articulate and a great role model for everyone. The fact that knuckle dragging idiots do not like her, or the fact that she is 66% popular, and that she makes their pea-sized brains explode with anger: well that is just icing on the cake.

May 31, 2012 07:25 am at 7:25 am |
  22. jane

Would like to know how many hours a week she spends tending the garden. She has a whole army of staff doing all her work at home, cooking, cleaning, laundry shopping for groceries etc. Question her judgement on that vacation in Spain. Secret service protection in Spain costs a lot more than secret service protection in the US. I think she want to Spain when the BP oil fires were burning. She is selfish, insensitive and an opportunist. Also impatient I think. On some vacations, she and the kids took a flight a few hours earlier than the president did. More tax payer dollars wasted.

May 31, 2012 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  23. Shelly

Michelle is awesome, I would totally switch teams for her.

May 31, 2012 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  24. Thinkergal

She is totally wonderful. We have got to keep her!

May 31, 2012 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  25. Mark

PROUD FEMALE DEM IN NC

No matter what good she does, and she does plenty, the narrow minded, right wing bigots will find fault with her. They are the masters of hate. Such stupid bubbas they are. Obama 2012
    *****************************************************************************************
    Seems you have a lot of hate in your comment, hypocrite!

May 31, 2012 08:34 am at 8:34 am |