Poll: Michelle Obama quite liked
May 30th, 2012

Poll: Michelle Obama quite liked

(CNN) - First lady Michelle Obama is still a popular figure in the United States, according to a new poll of Americans released Wednesday.

The Gallup survey indicated the first lady has a 66% favorable rating, unchanged from two years ago and consistent with the figures she received when her husband, Barack Obama, was sworn in as president.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Although her rating did not top 54% during the 2008 presidential campaign, she received a boost shortly before inauguration in 2009, to 68%.

Americans tend to view first ladies more positively than presidents, a trend continued in the current administration. Michelle's favorable figure has averaged nine percentage points higher than her husband, who 52% of Americans view in a positive light, according to the latest Gallup figures.

Former first lady Laura Bush, wife of former President George W. Bush, averaged a 73% rating during her eight years in the White House. Hillary Clinton, the current secretary of state and wife of former President Bill Clinton, received an average of 56% through Clinton's two terms.

Also see:

Gingrich: Obama an 'American-born job-killing president'

Romney hits 'magic number' for GOP nomination

Incumbent outraised Democratic challenger in Wisconsin gubernatorial contest

Romney makes stop at raucous Vegas rally

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Polls
  1. Really?

@Jeff in San D. – always looking for some way to pull the race card, huh?
    Perhaps people don't like her because she wasn't proud of our country until her husband was on the ticket.
    Or maybe it's because she pushes the radical Marxist agenda with her husband.
    It has NOTHING to do with race!
    I would vote, even campaign, for Condoleeza Rice and she is just as black as Michelle.

May 31, 2012 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  2. madmaninthemiddle

How does promoting healthy eating equate to "government forcing us to eat what they say." she's not campaigning to outlaw junk food. She's out promoting healthy CHOICES.

May 31, 2012 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  3. Rick

Her White House garden is just a cover to grow the Presidents weed.

May 31, 2012 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  4. Wake up people

Wow, the hate coming from some of these comments is so typical. Mrs. Obama is awesome. She's intelligent, articulate, a great mother and wife and very beautiful but unfortunately some people don't like that. I am loving reading these comments. So many read them and are finding out the truth all over the world, that a great many people hate that the Obama's are in the White House. I just want to say thank you to the haters on the right. Thank you so much for opening the eyes of so many that had the luxury of thinking that racism was dead. Now do you see that minorities, mainly blacks still catch it?

OBAMA 2012! Seriously America!

May 31, 2012 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  5. RufusVonDufus

I would not give this female witch the time of day. Never proud of her country until the Dem's used the race card to make sure the media was in 100% to elect a black. That's the day I was not proud of my country, but I think this November will make me very happy. The composite president we have is slowly but surely breaking up and showing his lack of knowledge about all things relevant to running this once great country.

May 31, 2012 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  6. B4Cons

2/3's of the people like her ..... wonder who the other 1/3 is .... hhhmmm

May 31, 2012 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  7. Cathy

madmaninthemiddle

******************************************************************
    Hmmmmm, maybe MO should leave her eating healthy campaign to the professionals such as her's husband pick for Surgeon General, Regina M. Benjamin. Or, do the Obama's prefer to hide Regina M. Benjamin, MD, MBA because she's a bit on the thick side. I'm guessing so.

May 31, 2012 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  8. OuttaHere

Please back up your bags and head back to Chicago or perhaps you could move to Europe where your socialist ideals would fit in very nicely. The US is very happy being a capitalist country.

May 31, 2012 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  9. Anonymous

Ah, yes. The haters. It's one thing for Rush Limbaugh, Sarah Palin, Sean Hannity, FOX News, et.al. to stir up the hate against others. They never need justify their hate filled rants. Simply put, it's what they get paid to do. Their fan base has a different set of rules to play by - believe in all the lies and hate, poor things. So here they come, justifying their indoctrination into the land of hate with talking points from those who have absolute control over their thought processes. We should feel sorry for them, but anyone so easily lead probably isn't worth feeling sorry for to begin with.

Michelle Obama is a fine woman who hasn't deserved three quarters of the hate spewed against her. That she overcomes such nonsense only reinforces just how fine a women she truly is.

May 31, 2012 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  10. Maria

I agree with the article both Laura Bush and Michelle Obama are outstanding First ladies.

May 31, 2012 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  11. sonnie3

She is just OK, But not outstanding for the United of this Country, once claimed she was not proud of America? Well I am no not proud of the path taken by the libs to destroy Holy Marriage, and removal of God From the United States. If there ever was a time when God should be revered, It is NOW!

May 31, 2012 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  12. Joi Gibson

Count me as one of the 68%. I think the First Lady is fantastic. Her "Let's Move" campaign is a wonderful thing – getting children to exercise instead of sitting and playing video games. I always thought it was a mistake to get rid of P.E. in school. And her campaign to get them to learn about gardening so as to plant fruits and vegetables, which in turn gets them to eat more fruits and vegetables. The First Lady is solid!!!

OBAMA/BIDEN/FIRST LADY MICHELLE 2012!!!

May 31, 2012 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  13. sonnie3

Michelle Obama is OK, But certainly not going to be remember for Her contributions, But for Barrys socilistic view and Marxist view on where he is trying to herd and coral America. We will become a 3rd world country on the fast track if Obama is reelected. We have a choice coming soon, Do some soul searching and do what is BEST for AMERICA and forget about your personal qualms. I do pray that my Grandkids will have leaders that support Christian Values and leave the imoral by the wayside for God to Judge.

May 31, 2012 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  14. sonnie3

If the dollars spent on Mrs Obama for the sole purpose to make her look good , would go to feed the Hungry and cloth the needy/ She then would go down as a great person. What a shame to not have a first lady that is more concerned about how she looks, and the underlings go hungry.

May 31, 2012 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  15. Marty, FL

Unbelievable the hatemonger comments from the right wing here–another reason why I left the Republican Party.

Michelle Obama is classy first lady and so was Laura Bush for that matter.

God bless the USA

May 31, 2012 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  16. Puddin

She is unique in that there has never been one like her, and I doubt there ever will be again. She seems to be a regular gal. I've never seen a First Lady slip on a pair of jeans to go accept the White House Christmas tree. She is okay in my book.

May 31, 2012 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  17. Critical Thinking

I wonder if her husband doesn't gain a second term if she will still be proud of America?

May 31, 2012 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  18. cpeters

Well, I bet she was a decent person before becoming involved with Barry. Now she is part of the Chicago Mafia.

May 31, 2012 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  19. GI Joe

I'll say this much – President Obama didn't have to go after the "sympathy" vote for pushing a full time ad about his poor pitiful wife.

A lot of women (and men) suffer MS and Cancer - the big difference is the average person can't afford the medical attention or the staff to help with their care.

Give me a break.

May 31, 2012 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  20. Wake up people

When she said she was finally proud to be American, I know exactly how she felt because I felt the same way. Now let me break it down for you right wing nut jobs. As a black person in America, many of us have felt the sting of racism. Now I know many can't identify with us but try opening your minds just a little bit. I'm going to attempt to break it down so even the smallest minds can understand.

Many years ago black people were slaves, and for many years after the slaves were free, many people worked to keep them oppressed. Black folk couldn't even vote until 1965 and even that isn't a law. That's the Voting Rights Act. When a very qualified black person applies for a job and someone else applies for the same job, but is not as qualified but whom is not black, they typically get the job. Many of you will refute this claim however unless you have walked in our shoes, you will NEVER know we feel. I would also like to add that in NO WAY am I saying all whites are racist. But there are very many that are. So for Mrs. Obama to say she was proud of her country in no way makes her un-American. Mrs. Obama is a wonderful first lady and the fact that she is black is simply icing on the cake for me.

OBAMA 2012!

May 31, 2012 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  21. Dr. KnowItAll

Yes, Michelle is quite popular in her resort vacation destinations I hear !

May 31, 2012 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  22. Dr. KnowItAll

@Wake Up Peaople "many people worked to keep them oppressed."
    And those doing the oppressing were mostly Democrats in power. Thats where your "Wake Up" should be.

May 31, 2012 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  23. RS, CA

She's a classless "nouveaux riche" just like husband - steeped in nothing of lasting value. She appears to have no appreciation for what this country has done for her in terms of affirmative action eduction, and more-than-equal employment opportunity. There's nothing about Michelle Obama that says "exceptional," and her primary focus seems to be on expensive vacations and constant wardrobe/hairstyle changes. The relentless flaunting of her so-called toned arms is the most tasteless thing I've ever seen a "FLOTUS" do.

May 31, 2012 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  24. FrankA

Michelle is the greatest! If you don't believe it, ask her. She may not be proud of the US, but her pride doesn't stop her from flying all over the country or the world with daughters and mother in tow on the taxpayer's dime. Wait and see if BO gets re-elected. She'll take twice the trips before the government perks run out in 2016.

May 31, 2012 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  25. Anonymous

Critical Thinking

================================

And I wonder if you are really suggesting overcoming prejudices in America is such a bad thing? Because that is what her comment was centered on - overcoming. But, I suspect you already know this.

May 31, 2012 10:36 am at 10:36 am |