Pelosi: Hillary Clinton's 'our shot' in 2016
June 3rd, 2012

Pelosi: Hillary Clinton's 'our shot' in 2016

(CNN) – House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi kept the “Hillary Clinton for president in 2016” refrain alive in an interview published Sunday.

“Why wouldn’t she run? She’s a magnificent secretary of state,” Pelosi told the San Francisco Chronicle when asked about Clinton’s 2016 ambitions. “She’s our shot.”

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The Democratic congresswoman and former House speaker similarly stoked the flames in April, describing the prospect as “so exciting.”

Clinton, the former first lady and New York senator, has consistently shot down speculation of a future political run, saying her current State Department post will be her last in public office. But her insistence has done little to quell the rumors.

Former President Clinton on Thursday left the door ajar to a 2016 run by his daughter, Chelsea, or wife, Hillary, saying, “we will just see.”

"Chelsea will be too young, I think, maybe not quite. Hillary says she's going to retire. We will just see. You know, I think she intends to come home and start doing a lot of the charitable work," Clinton said on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight." "She has worked so hard for 20 years, you know?"

Also see:

Trump digs at Obama's birthplace, suggests Iran war 'good politics' for incumbent

Would a Latino running mate help Romney?

Brown-Warren race remains tied, poll shows

Filed under: 2016 • Hillary Clinton • Nancy Pelosi
  1. 100% ETHIO

To become the President of America, might seem easier. But, being American President and challenging and taking responsibilities beyond America, are a challenge and somehow difficult.

When you...think to become American President, you must aware of the job or assignments waiting for you. Some assignments never been completed by your predecessors and more assignments will be leftover after your...Two terms. However, it's your choice to prioritize, what will be on table for debates.

June 3, 2012 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  2. angryvotr

Agree, but we've got to win 2012 first.

June 3, 2012 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  3. steve

I voted for Obama and will again. I would never vote for Hilliary and it has nothing to do with her gender.

June 3, 2012 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  4. Michael Q

It amazes me how the American public has failed to recognize they have a great President. Yes, you heard me. This President is educated and is a very logical thinker. Hilary has been a great Secretary of State and the USA has never been safer against another attack like 911 because the war mongers are not in charge. There is a feeling of hope but it is the negative GOP that keeps obstructing any advance with the one thought of getting rid of a black man since before he even took office. The mentality of Americanism is being changed yet the positive is blocked by a rich old guard living in the past.

June 3, 2012 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  5. johnborg

What does Hillary Clinton think about this? She seems like she wants to retire from politics. While I may disagree with her on some political issues, I think she would make an excellent leader and representative of the United States. Also, she would do women well due to her abilities. Women like Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann aren't good symbols for the advancement of women in society.

June 3, 2012 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  6. Get Real

If Hillary chooses to wait until 2016 instead of this year, then I will "NOT" vote for her. She was all claiming she has no desire to run. I really wish she would run in 2012.

June 3, 2012 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  7. Surfer George

16 years of GROUNDBREAKING Democratic leadership might be long enough to A) recover from the Corporatist mindset in Government AND B) Convince Republicans that their current agenda is no longer of any interest to mainstream Americans

First a Black man, then a Woman!

Hillary 2016

June 3, 2012 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  8. Jules

I think Pelosi should stiop talking about 2016 and concentrate on2012.

June 3, 2012 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  9. Sophia Latham

Hillary Clinton looks so very tired. She looked so young and vibrant when running against Obama, but now she seems to have let her looks go. She said that she feels a certain freedom to be and look however she wants now, but she needs to cut her hair and get back that sassy style that she had before. She is an attractive lady and she needs to showcase her features in a better frame. I am a conservative, but I was rooting for Hillary to beat Obama cause the writing was on the wall in my humble opinion.

June 3, 2012 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  10. Cliff

ps its Mantra sorry. And Personally, If Hillary reads these at all. Please run in 2016. You'd make a fantastic President. And when you are as popular as you are, frankly I see it as your responsibility to run. Because if you don't? We get stuck with the right wing wack jobs who won't rest until the middle class are poor and the poor are dead.

June 3, 2012 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  11. snoozie

Seems Hillary has become a little less negatively emphatic lately in her response to the question of her running. It would not surprise me either way, but as an original Hil for Pres supporter in '08, I'd be thrilled.

June 3, 2012 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  12. Leigh2VA

Hillary is also a 'progressive' Democrat (a socialist, in other words.) At one time I would have been ok with her being President, but not if she's just another, too far to the left politician like Obama. No thanks. We've been there and done that already. And look where we are now.

June 3, 2012 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  13. sonnie3

Hilary is looking old and tired. She needs to think of the rigors of the office. Not sure she would stand the test of time.

June 3, 2012 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  14. JimInMS

I am 100% in favor of Hillary running in 2016, but I have a question. Wasn't Pelosi one of the rats that jumped Mrs. Clinton's ship in 2008 to support Obama instead? I hope all the people that first supported her, then switched to Obama, are completely shut out of power when she finally makes it to the White House.

June 3, 2012 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  15. Maria Lopez

I was a Hillary Clinton support in 2008. I thought at the time that she had more experience dealing with Washington and the Republicans and the struggles that go on, compared to Obama. I hope she will take this next term to relax after being Secretary of State and consider her options carefully and not rush into anything one way or another.

June 3, 2012 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  16. Ronincalif

hillary would have been better than Obama. But the left turned their back on her in 2008. The guy they went with turned out to be a disaster. You can blame the Republicans all you want but remember the Dems had both houses for two years and the only thing they did was Obamacare, which is a disaster.

June 3, 2012 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  17. Blue

President Obama will have a second term and I would welcome Hillary in 2016. GOP would finish what Bush started in destroying our country.

June 3, 2012 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  18. PROUD FEMALE DEM IN NC

Run Hillary Run!!!! You're 1,000 times better than ANY other Rethuglican. Wipe up the floor with them.

June 3, 2012 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  19. DENNA

I would vote for Hillary Clinton in a heartbeat. No disrespect to Joe Biden, but I wish Hillary had been on the ticket with President Obama. I think she would make a great president, but I am sure she will have to put up with the same stuff that President Obama has to deal with. Unfortunately, this country is being slowly taken over by the terminally stupid people who are still shell-shocked by having a black man as president. THEY have decided for the rest of us that we need a change. Give me a break!

June 3, 2012 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  20. Cindy

Why should she run again, the sexist comments against her were horrid, and her own Democratic Party aka Pelosi & company cast her aside in 2008 in favor of Obama. She still won the Popular vote, though.
    We're all lucky she decided to take the Secretary of State position. She should retire and relax like she deserves to.

June 3, 2012 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  21. Craig

Pelosi attacked Hillary and supported Obama. She picked a disaster and now she realizes it. Obama was an empty suit and proved himself to be an empty suit. Pelosi with her $25 millin winery in Napa is out of touch with Americans.

June 3, 2012 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  22. iBod

I have never seen so much excitement over an election that is four years away. That speaks many words about how we view this upcoming election. Let's face it: it's boring; the President will be reelected.

With that said, this sets up Cinton to lay low for the next four years. In four years, the Democrats will turn to two big names: Clinton and Cuomo. Cuomo will run, but the respect each of the two have for one another is so strong that it is hard to see the latter mount an all out attack on the former. Look at this like a game of chess. Democrats are preparing for the checkmate with Clinton in 2016 because her running mate will likely be Cuomo. This sets up Cuomo for either 2020 if Clinton would decide not to run for reelection; or it would set him up for 2024. Either way, he would likely run for two terms. This sets up Democrats for the Executive until at least 2028 and 2032. Something the country DESPERATELY needs.

Use the excuse, "Oh, we'll that's so long from now," but think of it like this - It's two Presidents. If Clinton is a shoe-in, and if she runs she will be, then her Vice President will be, too. The only question, then, is who Cuomo's running mate would be. That, I can honestly say, is my weakness. Right now, I would say O'Malley. With Warren Rising - and I love her! - I still think the country is only now discovering her and her talents. When she beats Scott Brown in November, she will become a household name in the Senate, but, like any politician, she would have to gain trust in the people. I see her as a big influence in Washington, but I think the power of her influence will be determined upon her reelection in 2018. She could become Cuomo's running mate when he runs for office, and that could then set her up as Cuomo's successor. Exciting times.

June 3, 2012 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  23. azreal

I'd vote for hilary but that dreg of a congress woman Pelosi....... Seriously one of the worst congressional records ever....... Why is she even still holding office

June 3, 2012 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  24. Angie Huselton

Go Hillary! She should already have been our President.

June 3, 2012 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  25. get overyourselves

you are nottttt in CHARGE! GOD IS!

June 3, 2012 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |