Pelosi: Hillary Clinton's 'our shot' in 2016
June 3rd, 2012

Pelosi: Hillary Clinton's 'our shot' in 2016

(CNN) – House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi kept the “Hillary Clinton for president in 2016” refrain alive in an interview published Sunday.

“Why wouldn’t she run? She’s a magnificent secretary of state,” Pelosi told the San Francisco Chronicle when asked about Clinton’s 2016 ambitions. “She’s our shot.”

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The Democratic congresswoman and former House speaker similarly stoked the flames in April, describing the prospect as “so exciting.”

Clinton, the former first lady and New York senator, has consistently shot down speculation of a future political run, saying her current State Department post will be her last in public office. But her insistence has done little to quell the rumors.

Former President Clinton on Thursday left the door ajar to a 2016 run by his daughter, Chelsea, or wife, Hillary, saying, “we will just see.”

"Chelsea will be too young, I think, maybe not quite. Hillary says she's going to retire. We will just see. You know, I think she intends to come home and start doing a lot of the charitable work," Clinton said on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight." "She has worked so hard for 20 years, you know?"

Also see:

Trump digs at Obama's birthplace, suggests Iran war 'good politics' for incumbent

Would a Latino running mate help Romney?

Brown-Warren race remains tied, poll shows

Filed under: 2016 • Hillary Clinton • Nancy Pelosi
  1. J

She would have been better than who we currently have. At least she wouldn't have been so polarizing. All he's done is divide Congress and the American people even further.

June 4, 2012 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  2. Wow

I don't think we can handle another 4 years of the Clinton's.

June 4, 2012 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  3. Thomas D

We should re-elect Preisdent Obam without a doubt, no need to put in a new President that will undo everyhiing he has done and start from scratch. However, I would love to see women dominate the next Presidential election,like both nominees are women, that would be awsome!!!

June 4, 2012 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  4. NameDD

I would have voted for Clinton in 08, she is experienced and I don't think we would be in this mess had she been elected. Hey, Dems try putting country before party for a change, as a former Dem I finally woke up and realized i simply could afford the liberals any longer. I live in CA, enough said!

June 4, 2012 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  5. Anonymous

Give it up, CNN. Stoking the Hillary flames isn't going anywhere. She is probably thanking her lucky stars that she wasn't elected President. The country was in much worse shape than anyone thought. If the media would cover what went wrong and why more people would understand just how bad GW left us in 2008. I doubt Hillary would have had any easier a job than Barack had working with Congress these past 4 years.

Then, again, had the media covered the loss of jobs suffered for the past decade, more might have been aware of the damage being done when it occured.

Kinda like the Iraq war.

June 4, 2012 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  6. Hillary

For me obama v Romny is an ideal but 4 hillery clinton no way afterall they are not the only family in America

June 4, 2012 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  7. Kevin

Hillary would be good....at least she is real. Obama is real. Unlike Romney who has the personality of a smarmy used car salesman/ambulance chasing lawyer.

June 4, 2012 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  8. marty

@J – You have to be kidding. Though I have great respect for Hillary's intellect and strength, she simply doesn't "play well with others." This goes back to before she was even on the state-level political stage, let alone during her husband's campaign and presidency.

June 4, 2012 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  9. Kevin

I agree Anonymous. The media has done a terrible job on making sure Americans have a clear understanding of ou nations problems & the cause of them.

June 4, 2012 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  10. LiberaLIowan

She would have my vote!

June 4, 2012 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  11. Me IN HOUSTON

and after Hillary has done her 8 years we can elect Corey Booker

June 4, 2012 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  12. Bill

Hillary would be an excellent choice in '16! With her experience as Sec of State and her husband as a brain trust from his presidency, she's perfect. First woman and an Ivy Leaguer with some real experience and academic smarts....not joe the plumber stuff. Let's hope so.

June 4, 2012 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  13. SF

would LOVE for Mrs. Clinton to be our Prez in 2016...ANYONE is better than a republican!!!

OBAMA 2012!

June 4, 2012 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  14. chefdugan

I wish she had won and hope she runs at the next opportunity. I think she would be our equivalent of Golda or Margaret. I think Bill would make a wonderful house husband.

June 4, 2012 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  15. Obama 2012 - BEND Forward America, take another 4 long years of FAILURE

steven harnack – Hillary's ship has sailed. In 1216 let's put our support behind Elizabeth Warren and make her the first female President.
    =====================================================================================
    1216?? Anyways, Warren isn't even going to win the Mass. Senate seat from Brown. It is coming out that she is a pathological liar. Lie after lie is being exposed. No shocker there. She's a far left Democrat. Lies are their stock and trade.

June 4, 2012 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  16. Bill

When she finds 100% of the files related to Whitewater and discloses her financial ingenuity in clearing $100,000 in her first and maybe only? foray into the Futures markets, even her own family would or should not vote for her. Why do we forget lies and deceit so soon? I'm not referring to gender nor parties. I'm speaking of honesty and being forthright. Please come up with a REAL and HONEST candidate.

June 4, 2012 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  17. Ronda in Houston,TX

It would be great to have a Hilliary and Warren ticket in 2016.

Obama 2012.

June 4, 2012 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  18. Spidey-Man

I am not jumoing on the Obama Hating Bandwagon... But I wish she would run this year. Would just like to see more of a choice in the current party's choices than being stuck with the one choice because that's who's in power at the moment.

June 4, 2012 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  19. Tek

Pelosi... Someone drop her off at the nursing home please. Both sides hate her and this is why. Sticking her nose in business that is not hers.
    That being said, Clinton's best chance at winning (if she runs in 2016) is if Romney takes the presidency.

Trends being what they are, we tend to get tired of one party being on top for too long. Too bad we still have the us VS them mentality (Dems VS Repubs)

June 4, 2012 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  20. WIMPY38

Too old, Too much baggage, and too emotional. What kind of POTUS brakes down in the middle of their campaign? No we have the right person in there right now!

June 4, 2012 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  21. Malory Archer

Wow

I don't think we can handle another 4 years of the Clinton's.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Clinton's what?

June 4, 2012 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  22. QS

Obama 2012!
    Elizabeth Warren 2016!

But obviously I'd vote for Hillary if she did get the nomination because, obviously, she'd make a better president than anybody the right could even conceivably come up with to run against her!

June 4, 2012 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  23. Katie

She's found out just how hard the work can be and she looks tired and frazzled most of the time. Not sure she's ready for POTUS. I didn't think she was right for the job back in 2008, now that she has the foreign relations experience -which is a plus – I still don't think she's right for the job. Chelsea?? No way. Talk about inexperienced!! I'd like Romney better if he'd admit that his MA health care plan was a GREAT accomplishment and if he'd stop pandering to the far right who have more lung power than brains, so it looks like Obama for the next four years and we'll just have to hope both parties come up with a decent candidate in 2016. The GOP has changed so much (for the worse, I'll add) that I have doubts they'll even be around in 2016.

June 4, 2012 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  24. dubla

"She's our shot" – sounds like someone is already thinking about defeating the incumbent Republican in 2016.

June 4, 2012 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |