Cain picks up where Boortz left off
June 4th, 2012

Cain picks up where Boortz left off

(CNN) – Herman Cain's taking to the air waves again.

The former Republican presidential candidate will fill the spot left vacant by retiring radio host Neal Boortz, who announced his decision Monday on his program.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

January 18, 2013 will be the last day of "The Neal Boortz Show," which premiered on News/Talk WSB in 1993 and can now be heard on more than 200 radio stations nationwide, according to WSB.

Cain, who currently joins Boortz daily for a segment, will host his inaugural show on inauguration day, January 21, 2013.

Cain previously hosted an evening program on the radio station and jokingly thanked the over four decade long radio veteran Boortz for keeping his seat warm.

"Also, I am ecstatic that Neal has kept the radio host's chair warm for me all these years," Cain said in a statement. "He may be 'The TalkMaster,' but Neal's listeners know I'm the 'The Dean of the University of Common Sense.'"

The former CEO of Godfather's Pizza made a tumultuous run for the Republican presidential nomination last year, a bid that ended in December amid accusations of sexual harassment.

Boortz, known as the "The Talkmaster," said he plans to spend time traveling with his wife after his retirement.

"Believe me, this wasn't a decision I made lightly. I love this business and everything it has afforded me," Boortz said in a statement. "I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to be doing my talk show for 42 years."

Filed under: Herman Cain
  1. Anonymous

No comment.

June 4, 2012 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  2. Sandy

Who cares?

June 4, 2012 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  3. Obama 2012 - BEND Forward America, take another 4 long years of FAILURE

Conservatives rule the airwaves. Glad to see it will continue.

June 4, 2012 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  4. Mikey

Cain has about 1 cent worth of Common Sense.

June 4, 2012 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  5. emma

It is a good thing that listening to Cain on radio is voluntary.

June 4, 2012 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  6. Rudy NYC

He won't last. I know he has radio experience, but he'll over reach and get himself thrown off the air inside of two years.

June 4, 2012 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  7. Romney is not My Hero

Ubeki-beki-beki-beki-stan-stan – Enough said

OBAMA 2012!

June 4, 2012 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  8. John

"Don't blame Wall Street, don't blame the big banks. If you don't have a job and you are not rich, blame yourself!"
    Herman Cain
    Now you get to hear all about his "proof" that it really, really works.

June 4, 2012 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  9. GI Joe

Just like Palin – one national headline and they think they own the country.

June 4, 2012 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  10. Jules

Do we dial in on 999?

June 4, 2012 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  11. al

Boortz over the last few years became a bitter old man who showed no tolerance for anyone who dared not think exactly like him, kind of like most republicans behave these days. He used to have good ideas and make sense but as he got older he became senile and just downright mean. I used to listen to him but quit about 5 years ago when he became just like Rush Limbaugh; a hate monger driven by feelings of inadequacy. I wish him well and will give Cain a try. He is interesting if nothing else.

June 4, 2012 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  12. Squigman

A bottle neck in the progress of man, regardless of name is still just a bottle neck. Quit trying to market this chump, as if he'd just been discovered and was thought to be the next best thing to sliced bread.

June 4, 2012 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  13. chumlee

Cain. Just.Go.Away. You are an insult to women and humanity

June 4, 2012 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  14. Nathan

Comedy hour is coming.

June 4, 2012 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  15. Marshall M

I just KNEW that he would end up in the media world somehow. Cain's ego is way too large to just fade away into the background noise. Cain replacing Boortz, huh? That's like Sarah Palin replacing Christine McDonnell. One airhead replaces another.

June 4, 2012 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  16. Marshall M

OOPS! I meant Christine O'Donnell.

June 4, 2012 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  17. PTBarnumboy

I can't believe he's not on FOX. Either way, he'll wear thin in a hurry.

June 4, 2012 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  18. Common Swill

What is he going to call his show, the infidelity hour?

June 4, 2012 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  19. The King

If so inclined, I could be the greatest "conservative" commentator ever. Get the talking points from my corporate propagandists, and mix in a little paranoia, fear, and hate with a whole lot of lies. Spew!

June 4, 2012 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  20. Gary, Hunt Valley, Md.

Hickory Dickory Doc. Nein Nein Nein!!

June 4, 2012 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  21. Gauntletwielder

Radio???? I remember those...back in the day when typewriters and fax machines were used. Herman Cain's words on any subject, are unimportant and inane.

June 4, 2012 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  22. Karen

David Axelrod is a PIG and insulting Cuban-Americans will now result in a Romney win in Florida...

June 4, 2012 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  23. Richard 1189

Why should we be surprised? Such a job. either as "host" or "analyst" on a news show is the current last place of employment of a failed political figure. Just ask Fox news and others!

June 4, 2012 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  24. Ken in MO

He is going where all Republicans go to die....either Fox News or talk Radio. They should be ashamed of themselves.

June 4, 2012 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  25. Applepious

Thank God! Now I don't have to llisten to Bortz at work tell everyone that he hopes the American exonomy will flop again just so Obama doesn't get elected. Obviously its not a bad thing if Americans loose work when you are already a millionaire with a private jet or three.

June 4, 2012 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |