Jeb Bush says 'under no circumstances' would he take VP job
June 7th, 2012

Jeb Bush says 'under no circumstances' would he take VP job

(CNN) - Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush firmly put his foot down on the idea of being Mitt Romney's running mate, saying "under no circumstances" would he accept the gig.

"I'm not gonna do it and I'm not gonna be asked and it's not gonna happen," he said in an interview to air Thursday on CBS "This Morning."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Bush has routinely beat back rumors that he could be tapped as a Republican vice presidential pick. He flirted with a presidential bid last year, and his name was often floated during this year's Republican primary as a potential late-entry candidate.

The former governor, however, said while he's not making a bid in 2012, he has yet to make up his mind on a future run.

"I've not made that decision," he said, though he admitted this year's "window of opportunity" was "probably my time."

"Although, I don't know, given what I believe and how I believe it, I'm not sure I would have been successful as a candidate, either," he added, without elaborating on his doubts about a potential run.

Asked about calls from those within the GOP for Bush to launch a presidential campaign this year, he said he tries not to look back on what could have been.

"That's pure speculation. And one thing I know for sure is you don't. you don't worry about 'could have, would have'," he said. "You focus on the things that you can control, and that's what I'm doing."

Also see:

Romney reacts to Wisconsin recall vote

Texas a cash cow for Romney

Jill Biden weighs into 2016

Filed under: 2012 • 2012 VP Pick • Jeb Bush • Mitt Romney
  1. William L. John

do we really need another son of a bush?

June 7, 2012 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  2. Sydnium S. Washington

Of course, you attacked somehow your own party and some criticized you about it.

June 7, 2012 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  3. Amy

Can't blame Jeb for not wanting to board Mitt's sinking ship.

June 7, 2012 03:18 am at 3:18 am |
  4. Eri

No one whose last name is 'Bush' has a shot at the Presidency or Vice-Presidency ever again. Jeb is just being realistic.

June 7, 2012 04:15 am at 4:15 am |
  5. Hindsight 20/20

Probably the better Bush. Too bad he wasn't president then.

June 7, 2012 05:02 am at 5:02 am |
  6. NATHAN WIMBERLY

They know that Mitt McCain is doomed.

June 7, 2012 06:19 am at 6:19 am |
  7. Marie MD

Just as well. We don't need another shrub anywhere near the WH unless they are touring it.

June 7, 2012 06:36 am at 6:36 am |
  8. TomInRochNY

The politician who doesn't want the job is probably the best person for the job. Sad truth.

June 7, 2012 06:39 am at 6:39 am |
  9. Harry Wreckdom

PLEASE reconsider Jeb – it would be the "kiss of death" for Deputy Doublespeak.........

June 7, 2012 06:56 am at 6:56 am |
  10. itmattersnot

GOOD!!!!

You are no different than that sorry excuse for a human brother of yours!

June 7, 2012 07:15 am at 7:15 am |
  11. me

Jeez, ain't 2 of 'em been enough?

June 7, 2012 07:17 am at 7:17 am |
  12. johnquepublique

Sounds like he's running for VP to me...I saw his lips move...so he must be lying!

June 7, 2012 07:20 am at 7:20 am |
  13. SMJ

Smartest words out of silver-spoon mouth! He destroyed Florida while in office. All Bushes need to go away!!!

June 7, 2012 07:22 am at 7:22 am |
  14. Epidi

Good, the last thing we need is another Bush in the Whitehouse, at any level.

June 7, 2012 07:23 am at 7:23 am |
  15. omgamike

Jeb Bush would be an excellent candidate for President, on the Republican side. I would not vote for him due to my not agreeing with his support of many policies I do no agree with - and also due to my being a progressive leaning independent. But I do respect the man, which is more than I can say for his brother.

June 7, 2012 07:37 am at 7:37 am |
  16. fheal

Florida bush league failure, meets Massachusetts mayhem... if they can't fix the ballot, they'd reorganize the results.

June 7, 2012 07:52 am at 7:52 am |
  17. LOL

Talk about strike three.......As a left leaning independent, only because the right has wandered off the reservation, I would love to see Jeb try.....That would seal the deal for Mr. Obama.....

June 7, 2012 08:00 am at 8:00 am |