Romney's campaign announces $77 million raised in May
June 7th, 2012

Romney's campaign announces $77 million raised in May

(CNN) – Mitt Romney's team announced Thursday it raised $77 million last month, surpassing the total announced earlier in the day by President Barack Obama's re-election effort and marking the first month the Republican effort out-raised the Democrats.

Romney's campaign cash, which includes money taken in by Romney for President, Romney Victory, and the Republican National Committee, included money raised in all 50 states and in Washington, DC, the campaign said.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Earlier Thursday, Obama's team announced on Twitter they had raised more than $60 million in May. The money is divided between the re-election campaign, the Democratic National Committee and affiliated Democratic state parties.

The Obama team also indicated that nearly all of their donations in May - 98% - were less than $250, and the average contribution totaled $54.94.

Romney's campaign said 93% of their May contributions were less than $250, and amounted to $12 million of their total haul.

The Republican effort said they ended May with $107 million in the bank. Obama's campaign did not disclose their cash on hand for May, though they ended April with $115 million.

Romney's May fund-raising figures are a big jump from his April haul, when his campaign reported raising $40.1 million. Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich, two of Romney's rivals for the GOP nomination, both announced they were dropping their bids for president in April, meaning May was the first month Romney was running unopposed for the GOP nomination.

The former Massachusetts governor and two-time presidential candidate clinched his party's nomination at the end of May, when he secured enough delegates to become the GOP nominee at the Republican convention in August.

Responding to the Romney fund-raising announcement, Obama campaign press secretary Ben LaBolt tweeted: "Reminder on RNC/Romney camp fundraising: 1st month joint committee was in existence, so all their primary donors wrote their maxout checks."

Romney and the RNC joined fund-raising forces beginning May 8.

Filed under: 2012 • Fundraising • Mitt Romney
  1. southernwonder

more money in romney's hands always has meant more negative ads.
    romeny is probably using our volunteering with the irs to contribute to presidential campaign.

June 7, 2012 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  2. Donkey Party

You can always tell the right-wing liars when they say, "I voted for Obama last time, but..". It's no wonder they support fellow blatant liars like Willard Romney.

June 7, 2012 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  3. Larry L

@Dr.Cole

'm also just a normal average Joe who owned a business that was forced to close it's doors thanks to the slow economy. Now I am just a physician who teaches high school. I still have $150K in student loans to pay off, so I am far from rich...
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Let's see... you're an "average Joe", a "physician", a high school teacher", and a "corporate owner"...
    All over rural America communities are crying for physicians but you choose to teach high school because you can't find work? You got screwed by the Democrats how? Surely none of the decisions that got you into your current situation were YOUR fault... You do know the recession was in full bloom before President Obama took office? You do know the Republicans have obstructed every attempt to help? Maybe "DR." Cole doesn't know...

June 7, 2012 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  4. Gandalf the White

That is a lot of money that could be used to help others in need.

June 7, 2012 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  5. Bob

You can't have a president who will do less for the economy than Obama. The best outcome of Romney getting elected is a vastly improved economy. The worst outcome is the economy will stay bad like it is now. How can you lose?

June 7, 2012 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  6. Woman In California

Then in 2007 during his first presidential run, Mittens said, "I was supportive of my country,” Romney said. “I longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam and be representing our country there, and in some ways it was frustrating not to feel like I was there as part of the troops that were fighting in Vietnam.”

I personally wish HE HAD BEEN THERE and maybe he wouldn't be HERE lying everyday and enjoying it. What a disgrace to ALL the men who did serve.

June 7, 2012 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  7. fernace

Citizens United needs to be recinded! In a 2yr period when many Americans have little or no income, have to rely on government help & are desperatetly seeking fulltime employment/ benefits for their families & a nations economy is precarious, here come these PAC's w/$$$ to burn! I swear, we could have balanced the budget from the billions that have poured in to each candidates campaign, including my Presidents! This is appalling! There are some super-wealthy people in this country (& possibly abroad) who are willing to pay to get their candidate in office, but are not willing to invest in the nation as a whole & not willing to care about the common person! Obama was against the Super Pac's, but pretty much has no choice than to participate! I hope 1 of his agendas will be to end the "corporations are people"law, on his Day 1 propositions! Forward-Obama, Back to 1912-Romney!!

June 7, 2012 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  8. fernace

Billions of dollars & I'm happy & lucky to have a spare $20 bill! Talk about screwed up priorities!!

June 7, 2012 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  9. marty

Seems like the richest among us are the biggest beggars. Guess they know 'how to work the system'.

June 7, 2012 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  10. OGR99

Everything was all great and wonderful as long as Obama and the Dems had more money.

Bwhahahahaha. You guys are funny.

June 7, 2012 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  11. Texas Bob

I enjoy reading the comments on the ticker but I hope everyone realizes that a lot of political do gooders print hog wash here. Example I am just a simple small business owner and Obama has killed my business, I am an independent and I will never vote for Obama again. Both comments were created by the radical right just to make it seem like they are not the reason things in this country are so bad.

June 7, 2012 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  12. Francesco Marinelli

YES WE CAN!!!
    Find a job,just keep doing your home work,and crossing your fingers.

June 7, 2012 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  13. jose

Okay lets do the math 93% of 77 million = 12 million. I'm I also practically seeing voters in one party with saliva going down their chin saying, oooh uuumm oookay, that adds uuuup. lies, lies, lies do NOT equal legitimacy legitimacy legitimacy. How can somebody run the best country when they don't have their facts straight? when they're coming up with their own numbers? when they say whatever just to get elected? remember cons he has been on both sides of every issue.

June 7, 2012 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  14. grive

how can both canidates raise so much money but neither of them will be able to raise jobs like that. take the money and put people back to work.its embarresing for the rest of the world to watch them raise money while people suffer. and i never did understand where all the money goes

June 7, 2012 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  15. Deputy Dawg

People realize Mitt has a great chance of winning if he can get his message out. $77 million will help.

June 7, 2012 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  16. Cindy

Dr. Cole – The only thing Romney has experience in is making wealthy people weathier. You want to go back to the same old Republican practices that got us in this mess. Romney's friends say he owned a Michigan State troopers uniform and a red light for his auto. He often put on this uniform and pulled people over on the highway. That would be a felony in most states. Romney needs to have his head examined.

June 7, 2012 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  17. Jay

Mitt and his billionaire buddies are making withdrawls from their swiss bank accounts

June 7, 2012 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  18. Kdang

Millionaires and billionaires donating to Mitt this and that yada yada yada...Talk and hate all you want..until Obama moves back to Chicago to start writing one book a month for living and also give speech here and there for LGBT for little extra cash for groceries. Liberal media has run out of ideas to smooch Obama and so has he! Every time there is bad news for Obama, it's a good day!

June 7, 2012 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  19. CanadaONE

obama should start more recalls and force the GOP to spend all their money before that nationai ALLgops should be recalled

the uions can pull it off

June 7, 2012 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  20. dean

Donate to Mitt and save the country....

June 7, 2012 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  21. Thomas

I love that photo up top . Romney's press people only put American flags on 1/8th of the bags !

Romney / Bush !

June 7, 2012 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  22. dnick47

The rich man's canidate is supported by rich men (and women) – this is news? Hardly, what else would you expect because they know Mitt, like George before him, will repay plus interest, their meger pit mark of a deduction from the vast wealth they've made under GWB.

June 7, 2012 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  23. dnick47

@ Billy Jack Then how can you support Romney? He'll never do anything for America save to make it a 3rd World nation.

June 7, 2012 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  24. Franklin

What I don't really understand is how people can actually believe anything coming out of the mouth of Romney / Obama. We all know they are the same, we all know we have to cut back on government spending / power over people.
    I'm 27 years old and I'm an ex-Marine, I don't need government to "babysit" me. I don't need government to take my hard earn money to fight unnecessary wars, continue to grow government, and continue taking liberties away from people.
    ANYONE who hasn't served in the military and agrees to fight these unnecessary wars is a hypocrite. I love my country and that is why at the age of 17 I joined the United States Marines, to fight for my country. And guess what? Everytime we have a deployment, thats someones father/mother/sister/brother/grandchild/etc... we are sending out there... for what?
    Do we want to end wars? Lets get out of these countries that don't like us! Stop spending Billions of dollars each year on "aid" to countries that don't like us.
    Allow people to think for themselves, to learn new skills and succeed. I have worked VERY hard my entire life and now, as I graduate with a Masters degree and try to start my own business, the government says "actually, if you start making money you will owe $800 a month on students loans. BUT, if you don't work, you don't have to make any payments..." I will most certainly not do that government! I got loans, and I will pay them back! and THIS is the problem!

June 7, 2012 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  25. Anonymous

I don't know if Obama's on-line ads are pay-per-click, but, just in case, I am clicking and re-clicking. I am glad to help him spend his money.

June 7, 2012 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |