Sen. Rand Paul endorses Romney
June 7th, 2012

Sen. Rand Paul endorses Romney

(CNN) – Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky, tea party favorite and son of presidential candidate Ron Paul, officially endorsed Mitt Romney late Thursday night.

"My first choice had always been my father. I campaigned for him when I was 11-years-old. He's still my first pick, but now that the nominating process is over, tonight I'm happy to announce that I'm going to be supporting Gov. Mitt Romney," Rand Paul said on Fox News.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

His announcement came one day after his father acknowledged he would not become the Republican nominee, despite maintaining for months that he would stay in the fight for the White House.

Ron Paul ended his official campaign events weeks ago, but has not technically suspended his candidacy and will have delegates at the Republican National Convention in August.

The endorsement from Rand Paul, who won his 2010 Senate bid with strong tea party support, could be a boost for Romney as the candidate attempts to shore up different factions of the Republican Party, including Ron Paul's vocal and active supporters.

Asked why he was throwing his voice behind Romney, Rand Paul listed off a number of ways his family values and family history line up with that of Romney–including the fact that both he and the candidate have fathers who ran for president. Romney’s father, the late George Romney, served as Michigan governor and was a presidential candidate in 1968.

The senator then went on to talk about policies, saying he met with Romney recently in Washington and discussed the candidate's support for reforming the Federal Reserve, limiting regulations, and opposing the proposed Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA). The proposed legislation, which failed to garner enough support in the Senate, called for expanded federal power online in preventing internet piracy.

"I think there's a lot of kinship between us on those issues," he said.

Romney responded Thursday night to the endorsement, saying in a statement he was "honored" to have the senator's backing.

"Senator Paul has been a leading voice in the effort to scale back the size and reach of government and promote liberty," Romney said. "I am grateful for Senator Paul's support and look forward to working with him to get America back on the right track."

– CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • Rand Paul
  1. don in albuquerque

Allison, Allison. Do you really keep track of peoples posts for years? And by the way did Walker hurt. You bet, it should have hurt all Americans to see Democracy die that night. That was the night that corportate America, renamed it the Corporate States of North America. No need for elections anymore, just let the Koch brothers decide.

June 8, 2012 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  2. anagram_kid

Odd that he is not endorsing Gary Johnson.

June 8, 2012 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  3. Ex-GOP Con

=========
    Rand Paul is a SELLOUT to the TEA Party
    =========

June 8, 2012 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  4. What a Joke

@Dominican mama 4 Obama....LOL I love when posters like you see the truth and have nothing better to retort with then "why did I waste my time responding to you". It is very amusing!!! Go get a job!!!!

June 8, 2012 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  5. bcm

Wow! What a shocker!

June 8, 2012 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  6. Serious?

@Don in.....Are you kidding me??? THAT WAS democracy working right there buddy!!! If your friend would have won you would be saying "Democracy at work" but since he didn't.....well we all saw your post!!! LMFAO

June 8, 2012 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  7. Delusional Democrats Whining Crying Blaming, My Dream Has Come True

don in albuquerque - And by the way did Walker hurt. You bet, it should have hurt all Americans to see Democracy die that night.
    ==============================================================================================
    So because your guy didn't win, democracy died??? But your guy didn't win in 2008 when it wasn't a national event! The guy is just a loser! The people of Wisconsin spoke TWICE!! Democracy is alive and well and working quite nicely. The people decided the recall was total leftist BS and Walker was doing the right thing.

It sounds like you'd feel much better in a socialist dictatorship where you can just declare a winner and by pass that messy election/voting thing.

June 8, 2012 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  8. ST

Is Romney trying to kill two birds with one stone? Getting teabaggers and Ron Paul supporters through Rand Paul??
    His calculus might fall flat. He might end up losing both.

June 8, 2012 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  9. Allison

Dominican mama 4 Obama

Allison, Allison, Allison argumentum ad hominem, grasping at straws with a healthy dash of desperation, back-pedalling, and "I know you are but what am I" thrown in for good measure, that pretty much sums up your last post.
    I'm sorry I wasted my time responding to your first post.

Wow, you must have thin skin. Post after post, you spout your drivel and often get to the point of name calling, (which is absolutely absurd,) and you consistently chastise anyone with a different opinion. You also seem to have an issue with grasping facts and reality. Face it, the country is in trouble. Both sides are the blame, but your man Obama is our leader, he is responsible. Taking responsibility is the trait of a good leader. He has been in office for 3.5 years, it is his game now. If he spent as much time on the issues as he does playing the blame game and campaigning, we might be in better shape. Yes, it is election season, but his primary job is to run the country. He is FAILING miserably. How can anyone not see this??? If he doesn't know how to improve things, he should surround himself with people that do.

June 8, 2012 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |