Santorum details 'dual mission'
June 8th, 2012

Santorum details 'dual mission'

Rosemont, Illinois (CNN) – As Rick Santorum praised Mitt Romney and pledged to help elect him, the former Pennsylvania senator also said on Friday that part of his "mission" is to keep Romney's feet to the fire on conservative issues.

Santorum's comments happened during an interview with 89 WLS radio Chicago. Santorum was attending the Conservative Political Action Conference in Rosemont, Illinois.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

During the interview, Santorum discussed his new political committee – a non profit designed to advance conservative issues and defeat President Obama.

"And you're going to be a forceful advocate for Romney on the trail?" interviewer Dan Proft asked Santorum.

"I have been and will be," Santorum said.

Co-interviewer Bruce Wolf interjected: "But you kind of have to keep Gov. Romney's feet to the fire. Because you know that the tendency will be to Etch-a-Sketch the whole thing."??

To that, Santorum answered: "To me, it's a dual mission. But that's not necessarily targeted at Gov. Romney, it's targeted at everybody – it's targeted at every senator and every House member."

"We need to make sure that the things they say on the campaign trail are the things they do when they get elected."

Also see:

Romney reacts to Wisconsin recall vote

Texas a cash cow for Romney

Jill Biden weighs into 2016

Filed under: 2012 • Illinois • Rick Santorum
  1. Marie MD

sanitarium, get lost. You had your chance one time in PA and they threw out like yesterday's garbage then you tried for our mos timportant political office and you, again, failed miserably.
    Go back home to be with your stepford like kids and your wive who used to live with a doctor who performed abortions.

June 8, 2012 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  2. Ozzie

So, Ricky, you're supporting someone you say has no core values. What does that say about you?

June 8, 2012 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  3. Arkansas Greg

I am sure that the Democrats appreciate your "help" in defining Romney's stance on the issues

June 8, 2012 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  4. kayla

go away loser

June 8, 2012 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  5. List of X

And that's a "dual mission" because Romney has 2 feet.

June 8, 2012 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  6. Michael

Great, we now have a male version of Sarah Palin (rolling my eyes).

June 8, 2012 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  7. poopmeister

Rick Santorum "Obi-Romney, you're our only hope"....sad days when the republicans are just fine with settling

June 8, 2012 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  8. Yuri

This whacko needs to be wacked and sent packing ASAP.

June 8, 2012 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  9. Michael B.

LOL the picture. Every picture of Santorum makes me want to vomit. (and I'm Republican) But this one made me laugh as well.

What could the caption be? "I can't do the 'Live Long and Prosper' salute"

June 8, 2012 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  10. rs

Will one of them be trying to speak the truth?

June 8, 2012 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  11. Llij

Obviously if Santorum holds Romney's feet to the fire on his crazy religious crusader agenda, then Romney will also lose. Republicans have strayed so far off course, letting religious crazies become a normal part of the party. Wrong. More and more folks like me will declare themselves independent.

June 8, 2012 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  12. Romney is not My Hero

Thanks, Ricky! I love that you are backing Mr. Plastic. Your racist, backassward, reichwing views should really help him out – ROFLMAO. Once you're finished destroying him and his campaign, GO AWAY!!!

OBAMA 2012!

June 8, 2012 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  13. Mark in Seattle

What is it with these republicans that either lose or drop out, and then won't go away. Nobody voted to make you anything rick! Go home and take your photo op family with you!

June 8, 2012 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  14. Frank

I enjoy the spectacle of bigot holding a cult member's feet to the fire as much as anyone.

June 8, 2012 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  15. g

he,s wearing magic underwear now

June 8, 2012 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  16. Dennis1020

I was hoping his dual mission was "shut up" and "go away."

June 8, 2012 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  17. Thomas

I feel sorry for his kids , your right , his gene pool must be from the same swamp as Sarah Palin's.

It amasis me how such a narrow mind can feel so important in todays world.

June 8, 2012 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  18. once upon a horse

"Mitt Romney is the WORSE candidate we could ever put up against Barrack Obama". If I was Mitt and had somebody say that about me, I would keep them at a distance. Suite yourself Mitty but a leopard NEVER changes his spots. And that goes for Newtie as well.

June 8, 2012 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  19. tony

Satan couldn't have a better little helper. Didn't we already vote to get you behind us?

June 8, 2012 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  20. Walt

Love it. Keep pushing alexithymic Mitt even further towards RIGHT WING NUT TERRITORY, Santorum!

June 8, 2012 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  21. Anuhs

“We need to make sure that the things they say on the campaign trail are the things they do when they get elected.”
    Since when has that ever happened?

June 8, 2012 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  22. Marty

Three words describe this guy – Sarah Palin.

June 8, 2012 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  23. retrostar1000

Who cares about this crazed bible-thumper let loose from sunday school? He is anti-christian, hateful, and gives christ a bad image.

June 8, 2012 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  24. jean

Frankly, I was afraid to read the article. I thought he was going to say he was on a mission to be both the pope and the president, at the same time.

June 8, 2012 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  25. They ought to change from the elephant to the hippo...

Ricky DOES have a plan. He supporting someone with no core values cause he thinks he can mold him. And if there's one thing Mitt is, it's moldable. Kind of like stretching a jellyfish....

June 8, 2012 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |