June 11th, 2012

Carney says Bryson's accident related to 'health-related issues'

(CNN) - Commerce Secretary John Bryson has "health-related issues that played a role" in a weekend incident in which Bryson was found unconscious in his car after being allegedly involved in two traffic accidents, White House spokesman Jay Carney said Monday.

Carney provided no further details, noting the Commerce Department issued a statement that said Bryson suffered a seizure.

Filed under: Jay Carney
  1. Pete

I've seen people act like this with a diabetic condition,being late or too much on their insulin or too much sugar,screwing up their system,it doesn't happen right away,but it does get scarey.If he hasn't been diagnosed,that's scary for his family,just hope for him,its found early and can be managed with medicine or with a change in diet,but my heart goes out to him if its a health issue ,especially one not known yet..They'll be many tests ahead if its not known ,being the severity of his condition,they'll find out soon enough,good luck,I hope its minor,that'll be corrected with rest or good medical care,good luck again Mr.Bryson.

June 11, 2012 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  2. Obama 2012 - BEND Forward America, take another 4 long years of FAILURE

So did he turn in his license? Is he NOT driving?? This is now a public safety issue.

June 11, 2012 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  3. cali girl

I am just very glad no one got hurt.

June 11, 2012 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  4. tjm07

Sorry, seizure doesn't wash unless it was a known illness and he came off his meds...sounds to me like White House is playing fast and loose with the truth once again...no hospital even under Obamacare is going to allow someone with a seizure disorder to walk out on his own. Question is where was his driver?

June 11, 2012 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  5. Myviewis

He needs to stop driving before he kills himself and someone else.

June 11, 2012 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  6. demwit

Maybe he was on his way to a vote? Worked for a Kennedys...

June 11, 2012 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  7. demwit

Only fools like me believe the words coming out of Jay Carney mouth..

June 11, 2012 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  8. California

The cover-up begins.

June 11, 2012 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  9. Obama 2012 - BEND Forward America, take another 4 long years of FAILURE

Well if the "seizures" excuse works for Bryson then Holder might try using it to explain Fast & Furious.

June 11, 2012 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  10. Rudy NYC

No, he didn't have to turn in his driver's license.
    Yes, I understand that he actually flew back to DC.
    No, it doesn't matter what you believe.
    Yes, I think you are trying to play politics with this near tragedy.

June 11, 2012 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  11. Moderate Sean

It just amazes me at the pure ignorance of some who post on this blog! Our schools at their best here.....all I can do is sit here and say, 'Wow'!

June 11, 2012 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  12. Joan

It is ridiculous the way people are assuming the worst about this man before even knowing the truth. He wasn't drunk because he passed the breathalizer test. The first time he bumped into the first car, it must have just been a simple hit on the bumper with no damage to either car or the three men would not have let him leave. It definitely does sound like a diabetic low or something similar but everyone should wait for the official police and medical reports before jumping to conclusions. I hope all of the people writing insensitive, mean comments never have any medical issues themselves.

June 11, 2012 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  13. Critical Thinking

Seizure, I don't think Carney said seizure, he said; "health-related issues that played a role" which could mean anything. I had a seizure once and basically couldn't speak or behave normally, but I do think if I was driving I would probably get in an accident. What I don't think I could do is then successfully drive away from said accident. There is more to this but will we ever know? Probably not.

June 11, 2012 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  14. Jerry

Can we really believe these statements?! We all know the Mr. Obama's administration lies constantly and repeatedly.

I am also sure there's more to this. However, can the Mr. Obama administration handle another shocker?! Chances are that the lame stream media will forget this in a day or so.

If Mr. Bryson did not happen to be with the Mr. Obama administration; he would probably be behind bars for leaving the scene of an accident with injury.

Working for the Mr. Obama administration DOES HAVE its privileges.

Oh well...

June 11, 2012 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  15. Wake up people

People are so quick to jump to conclusions. Why because he's a democrat? This could have been a real tragedy but thank the heavenly father it wasn't. Are you people so desperate to bring down President Obama that you would make light of such a near tragedy??? I'm surprised some of these right wing nut jobs aren't blaming President Obama for this.

Wake up people!

OBAMA 2012!

June 11, 2012 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  16. Rudy NYC

Obama 2012 – BEND Forward America, take another 4 long years of FAILURE

-----------------–
    I dunno 'bout that. But, I think "seizures" may explain a lot of other bizarre behaviors that I have seen around here, though.

June 11, 2012 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  17. Moderate Independent

@Pete: Thanks, I was thinking the same as you are. If drugs or alochol were not involved there is a medical issue involved. I have experienced as a retired first responder people with diabetic conditions and those that have seizures being unaware what happened during a period of time. It is really scary for family and the general public but it does happen. If Mr. Bryson were not a public figure this would not be an issue. This is something that happens everyday in our country people are just not aware of it.

June 11, 2012 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  18. scmom

My God, now his administration getting into accidents is the President's fault. This election cycle is beyond believable. Anything having to do with the president is automatically bad and crooked. Evidently you like crooked because you are supporting that liar Mitt Romney. Always when all someone sees is bad and crooked its because they are bad and crooked.

June 11, 2012 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  19. Caringvoice

My first thought was that he was having a mini stroke. My husband had one, he started acting strangely, slurring of words, confusion, and yet all along claimed that he was fine. If you ever see someone acting oddly never jump to conclusions of thinking they are on something, when they may be in serious need of medical attention. Thank goodness, they were able to get Mr. Bryson quick help for his condition.

June 11, 2012 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |