Romney: Strike down of health care law would be 'right thing'
June 11th, 2012

Romney: Strike down of health care law would be 'right thing'

(CNN) – Mitt Romney on Monday said he hopes the Supreme Court does the "right thing" and overturns President Barack Obama's sweeping health care reform.

"Gosh I hope they do the right thing and turn this thing down," Romney told donors in Atlanta, according to pool reports. "And say it's unconstitutional because it is."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

This month, the high court is expected to announce its decision on the legality of the Affordable Care Act, a measure passed by Congressional Democrats and signed into law by Obama in 2010.

While Romney has not recently made comments about the decision, he has long maintained he would overturn the law through an executive order in his first day in office.

"This piece of legislation is bad policy, it's bad for our health care, and I can tell you if I'm president I'm going to stop it in its tracks on day one," he said Monday.

Democrats have frequently targeted Romney over the health care issue by pointing to a similar plan he signed into law as governor of Massachusetts in 2006. In his defense, Romney says the plan was tailor-made for Massachusetts residents and he would oppose a federal mandate.

Romney made his remarks Monday while appearing with former opponent Newt Gingrich at a private fundraiser, attended by about 800 people.

At the event, Gingrich offered high praise for Romney, despite his less-than-full-throated support for the presumptive nominee since he dropped his own presidential bid in early May.

"This is the most important election in our lifetime. The difference between a Romney presidency and a second term Obama presidency is the difference between a dream and a nightmare," he said.

Gingrich took a shot at the president's comments Friday when Obama said the private sector was "doing fine" compared to the public sector. Gingrich argued the Wisconsin recall effort last week proved Americans are in favor of decreased spending for public jobs.

Further complimenting Romney, Gingrich later added: "You have, I think, a tremendous nominee. I can say this from personal experience, I did everything I could to stop him."

Also see:

Axelrod weighs in on Obama's private sector comments

Romney video goes after Obama's comments on economy

Daniels, Walker want Romney to go bold

McCain: Obama responsible for leaks, Holder has no credibility

Filed under: 2012 • Fundraising • Mitt Romney
  1. DJ Reality

Wait a minute....."It is unconstitutional because it is." Oh Willard is far to deep of a thinker for me. I think I am going to move to Michigan. Yeah because the trees are the right height. Right Mr. Romney? Oh he has such a great mined. It's a steel trap or something.

June 12, 2012 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  2. Obama 2012 - BEND Forward America, take another 4 long years of FAILURE

suzibee - People are so stupid – they honestly dont realize that "Obama Care" is a GOOD thing fort so many reasons!!!!....Jesus, typical "tell me what to think and I will" attitude.
    I for one will be so upset if this health plan is stopped – I have had cancer so I'm a "pre-exister" and the new law benefits me because it allows me to maintain health insurance even if you have had cancer before...please research before you vote...
    ============================================================================================
    The removal of pre-existing conditions as a reason to deny healthcare coverage has very broad support with Republicans. Any new plan would also contain this. You have nothing to worry about on this front. Democrats are lying and scary people like they always do.

June 12, 2012 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  3. Nuihc

@Rbenson
    @ Critical thinking. The government mandates that we all have auto insurance for our cars. Do you disagree with this mandate as well? How about your home owners that your mortgage company makes ou purchase, disagree with that one??
    ----------------------------------------------
    There goes the left, comparing apples and oranges again. Driving is a privilige, not a "right". It is the state governments that mandate you buy car insurance to drive on their roads. If you don't drive, you don't have to buy insurance. Owning a house, also is not a "right." Same reasoning applies.

June 12, 2012 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  4. Joel

Esoteric arguments about the government forcing you to buy stuff vanish to insignificance when someone you love will need to go without life-sustaining care. Cancer does not give one tiny rats backside about states rights or some bizarre application of the concept of individual liberty.

June 12, 2012 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  5. Obama 2012 - BEND Forward America, take another 4 long years of FAILURE

Larry L
    @Critical Thinking
    The issue is can the Federal Government make a law that forces the citizens who they represent to purchase a product or service that the Federal Government has deemed necessary.
    --------------------
    How is this different from Social Security and Medicare?
    For one VEYR simple reason, the Democrats were too gutless to call it a tax. Had they been honest and called it a tax then it would NOT be unconstitutional. But then, of course, it would NOT have gotten passed. Democrats are dishonest to the core because now they are arguing it IS a tax to the USSC and they are not buying it.

June 12, 2012 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  6. Nuihc

@suzibee

----------------------------------------------
    I will be the first to say there are some good things in the health care law. But the bad, and incidently unconstitutional bits, outweigh the good. It has to be scrapped and start over with the good bits as a base.

June 12, 2012 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  7. Woman In California

How can people be so stupid? This is a man who has a Cadillac health care plan and IF by some reason becomes president – will continue to enjoy an even better one, but he wants to see you and your children be denied, suffer and die. I really can't believe the ignorance of some people but go ahead and listen as Ann tell her "struggles" and blame yourself for your stupidity. I only hope your children are smarter,brighter and healthier in mind than you are.
    Obama ALL the way!

June 12, 2012 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  8. Woman In California

correction: Ann tells her "struggles"

June 12, 2012 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  9. Doug

Obamacare will never work, there is not enough people that are gainfully employed to contribute to the tax basis, where all these funds are going to come from in order to support Obamacare. Think about it, most citizens that will use Obamacare, do not have a job, or limited means of income. The answer being if you have a job, healthcare is provided where both parties pay for it. Enough with the handouts, Obama has never had a real job, so therefore he has little insight on how to run a country, let alone a country that needs help. All he can do, is continuing to give in order to receive votes from the poor and unemployed. Anyone with a brain or that actually makes decent money, will never vote for Obama because they know regardless of status, that at the end of the day it all boils down to the dollar. Look at illegal Auntie Zetunie, his drunk Uncle, etc. Then he goes on "The View", for all the soccer Mom's. Mitt Romney is the lesser of two evils and could possibly put the US back on the right track by being pro business, which is what America was founded by. Behind closed doors, all the other World leaders, have zero respect for Obama and it shows. I've never seen anyone with an Obama bumper sticker driving a Benz or BMW? Although, how can we as American's be mad at Obama, when he has no experience to go on, oh wait I forgot being a community organizer is a tough job. Birth Certificates anyone?

June 12, 2012 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  10. cmnsncu

Why would anyone oppose having EVERY CITIZEN contribute for the cost of health care. I for one am tired paying for other peoples free ride with miums and deductables. The people on the right are like a pathetic heard of sheep that will believe everything they are told.

June 12, 2012 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  11. Logic n LA

critical thinking- It's a pleasure to see a well thought opinion form the "other side" theya re few and far between on here.
    But i must take exception to your facts. Every american will have options as to how to insure themselves ans states like California have already started giving options to tose that cannot afford private plans. Anyone can still join company sponsors groups, but private insurance or, in the casr of some states get a subsidized policy for thsoe in extreme need.
    The handful- and i do mena handful of individuals that can afford to pay from their pockets for their medical needs, have insurance because they know the value of insurance.6.6 million Americans under 26 have gotten back on their parents policies since this started because of the new age limit. This helps the overall cost of insurance becuase ofthe lower health risk of young people. The same will hold true if the entire country was insured.

June 12, 2012 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  12. Oliver

This guy is so fake. How anyone could bring themselves to vote for him is beyond my comprehension. Romney should embrace his own plan because it is better then the status quo. What was good for Mass (best coverage in the nation btw) is good for the rest of the country. I don't care if people in Nebraska protest and cry, in the end, they need coverage just like the rest of us.

June 12, 2012 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  13. DJ Reality

"And say it's unconstitutional because it is." Ahh the Yogi Berra of the 21 century

June 12, 2012 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  14. Mr.O

Mr Critcal Thinking Who do you think is paying for ER vists of people who don't have insurance

June 12, 2012 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  15. DJ Reality

I want this man for president!!!

June 12, 2012 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  16. J.V.Hodgson

Mr Romney is not a believer in democracy or health care or whatever. He is going to issue so many executive orders on his first day as President it sounds more like a dictatorship than an American potential president talking. He cant even wait for the Supreme court to decide the ( health care case) because he Fuhrer Romney knows best about everything.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

June 12, 2012 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  17. MNTaxpayer

Can't argue with an endorsement like that.

June 12, 2012 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  18. vatoloke

From someone who has never in his life had to worry about the health care for himself and his loved ones.

June 12, 2012 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  19. Canadian Public Health Care Lover

Interesting that the U.S. is the only industrialized country in the world without true public health care. I guess all the other countries are just plain stupid.

June 12, 2012 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  20. Vote the Tea Party OUT in 2012

my son starts college away from home this fall and before Obamacare he would have been put off my healthcare plan...now he can stay on until he's 26, hopefully he won't need to be BUT as a parent I feel relieved that I don't have to go get some no-name policy just to cover him. And my premiums did NOT go up either. There are some good things about this plan some on the right either refuse to see or just don't want to acknowledge.

June 12, 2012 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  21. MNTaxpayer

Doug

Hear no facts, see no facts, speak no facts. You deserve Romney.

June 12, 2012 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  22. grahame rhodes

Hey Romney! What does a hysterectomy cost these days? Oh maybe at the very least $30'000 that is before you even start. The Republicans just want people to die off if they are not Republicans or at the very least to be stricken from the voter rolls AKA Florida

June 12, 2012 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  23. David

This guys hillarious,overturn his own HC law really?So it's great for his state he says,then says in 2007 his law that this one models,could be the model for a national HC law.Now he wants it repealed.So a law that's good enough for his state,could be a model for the nation,now should be repealed,really?What a joke he is.Republicans couldn't you find anyone better than this guy?

June 12, 2012 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  24. WE THE PEOPLE

Anybody who is against mandated healthcare is either stupid, or well insured and totally selfish in denying it for others. If people stopped listening to propaganda from the health lobbyists, and learned the facts instead,.. it would be a no brainer,.. Obamacare is beneficial for everyone.

June 12, 2012 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  25. MNTaxpayer

Gosh I hope that man never becomes president.

June 12, 2012 11:47 am at 11:47 am |