June 12th, 2012

All in the family: Bush 41 disagrees with Jeb

(CNN) – A day after former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush said his father, George H.W. Bush, wouldn't find a place in today's Republican Party, the former president pushed back at the idea.

"I know what he's getting at, but I don't think it would be difficult," Bush said, while answering a reporter's question on Tuesday in Kennebunkport, Maine.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

While he suggested he had more to say, he was ushered away in his wheelchair by escorts.

His comments came while attending an event for a new HBO documentary about the 41st president, which also marks his 88th birthday.

On Monday, Jeb Bush told a group of editors that both Ronald Reagan and his father would have trouble fitting in with the GOP of 2012.

"Ronald Reagan would have, based on his record of finding accommodation, finding some degree of common ground, as would my dad – they would have a hard time if you define the Republican party – and I don't – as having an orthodoxy that doesn't allow for disagreement, doesn't allow for finding some common ground," Bush said, according to the website Buzzfeed.

Earlier Tuesday, the former governor clarified his remarks on Twitter.

"The point I was making yesterday is this: The political system today is hyperpartisan. Both sides are at fault," Bush wrote, adding in a separate Tweet: "Am reminded today why I rarely read headlines. #ContextIsImportant."

Also see:

Obama radio spot aims at black voters

Poll gives Obama edge in Pennsylvania

Obama campaign hits Romney's Massachusetts record in second TV ad

Filed under: George H.W. Bush • Jeb Bush • Maine
  1. Larry L

Jeb is the only one with a brain – and he's still too tainted to ever actually consider for POTUS. ENOUGH with the Bush clan!

June 12, 2012 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  2. The Left Wing

It wouldn't be hard for the elder Bush to fit in only if he was willing to give in to the Tea Party on every issue.

June 12, 2012 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  3. Beadles

I dread whatever outcome this November. If President Obama is re-elected, the GOP will continue its policy of "we'll do everything we can to stop whatever you try to do." Conversely, the election of Governor Romney will give GOP extremists the power to wreak even more damage. There is the chance, faint tho' it may be, that the saner minds in the GOP will be able to restrain their rabid colleagues. But, I wouldn't count on it. As I watched the Jeb Bush interview yesterday, I thought "maybe there is a way out of this mess. Maybe, Jeb will run as an independent." We need to work together if we have any hope of getting out of this mess.

June 12, 2012 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  4. Patriot

The GOP is lost, and no one wants to find it.

June 13, 2012 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  5. Pat in IL

I admire Jeb so much for telling the truth. Love the word " hyper partisan".

June 13, 2012 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  6. weedouthate

The political machines of both parties engender fear and hatred to gain mandates. We, as the people charged with electing politicians to office, need to rise above the frenzy, redirect the hatred into positivity. Is it any wonder why our kids are bullies and being bullied in the schools? We need to get back to our roots, weed and hatred and so the seeds of peace.

June 13, 2012 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  7. bam

yeah Thousand points of Light wouldnt work out today.... nor would Him raising taxes like he did... and dont forget he inherited a Reagan war making him pretty high on the increasing the national dept charts......

June 13, 2012 02:33 am at 2:33 am |
  8. mark

I think Jeb was more correct than H.W – it is indeed hyperpartisan – I dont even think Reagan could pass the purity tests

June 13, 2012 03:00 am at 3:00 am |
  9. s

this guy is so old, does he know what day it is, please between him and MCCain can the clown car fit anymore in it.

June 13, 2012 03:53 am at 3:53 am |
  10. mmi16

The GOP has become a charactature of a political party. Their focus has departed from 'what is best for the USA' and become how can we obstruct Obama.

When the country needs leadership, the only thing the GOP is offering is childish attempts in being a bully.

June 13, 2012 04:25 am at 4:25 am |
  11. bigfire01

They are eating their own. Too bad they will take the entire country down with them.

June 13, 2012 05:43 am at 5:43 am |
  12. Marie MD

Wow! Who says blood is thicker than water? Let's throw the only son who might have had a chance at a good presidency under the bus why don't you!!

June 13, 2012 06:38 am at 6:38 am |
  13. mike

Sadly the Republican party needs a George H. W. Bush.

June 13, 2012 07:07 am at 7:07 am |
  14. kevgood

who cares what any of the Bush family have to say? that family has been a predator for government contracts and bad ideas for decades. they should be locked in prisons for their atrocities.

June 13, 2012 07:29 am at 7:29 am |
  15. edpeters101

As noted earlier. We all know Jeb is the smart one of the family (especially compared to his brother)!

June 13, 2012 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  16. edpeters101

As noted earlier. We all know Jeb is the smart one of the family, especially compared to his brother.

June 13, 2012 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  17. julie

who woulda thunk it a Bush with a brain or at least half of one, jeb is smarter then pops

Obama 2012

June 13, 2012 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  18. NVa Native

Siily me too many Bush's to keep track of their numbers. I have no animosity toward the father, but of course he is doing blamage control.

June 13, 2012 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  19. ru serious

...and the Libs didn't denigrate Bush Jr and want and wish him to fail and did all they could to make that so....with the media right there with them. To the point of actually wanting our effort in Iraq to fail. So disrespectful, so awful. Libs have extremely short memories. Payback is a mother.

June 13, 2012 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  20. Jack

Jeb is right. Look at what happened to the Democrats. They swung too far to the left and became extremist and Clinto and the DLC brought the party back to the center and they began winning elections again. We want our government to be moderate and centrist. We want our politicians to be pragmatists and find common ground and compromise. That's how a democracy functions. No one gets everything they want.

June 13, 2012 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  21. Woman In California

Neither of their opinions matter so who cares?

June 13, 2012 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  22. leonard

Big deal. I disagreed with my father, my son disagrees with me. This is why CNN is low in the stink hole. I tried to watch the CNN morning show a bit this morning for the first time in years. There were no men anywhere. The reporting was difficult to watch. the anchors stand up with a pencil in their hand, I suppose to somehow makes us think they are not reading a teleprompter. The evening before I watched an interview & they had one liberal & 1 conservative guest. They put 3 questions to them The first question was to the liberal, then the conservative gave his side & they went back to the liberal for rebuttal. No rebuttal to that from the conservative. Question 2 was the same. Question 3 went first to the conservative & then the liberal gave his opinion. This question was the only one without rebuttal from the first responder.I hope the other dozen or so viewers enjoyed it, because I think it reeks.

June 13, 2012 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  23. vbscript2

I like how his actual quote said that he doesn't define the Republican party to have an orthodoxy that doesn't allow for disagreement and yet the first paragraph in this article states that he said the opposite. Way to report accurately, CNN. Sorry, I know you want it to be, but Jeb's quote is nearly as much of an indictment as Clinton's or that of the Mayor of Newark were of Obama's campaign.

June 13, 2012 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  24. vbscript2

That should say "isn't nearly as much." Unfortunately, there's no edit option here.

June 13, 2012 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  25. v_mag

Once again, the Bushes are in the news when they should be in the jail.

Romney = Bush = disaster