'Strange' claim, Romney maintains
June 12th, 2012

'Strange' claim, Romney maintains

(CNN) – Mitt Romney Tuesday said it was "strange" that Democrats' claim he wants to cut the ranks of local governments.

On Monday, President Barack Obama's presidential campaign released a web video highlighting Romney's comments Friday on public sector jobs.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"He says we need more firemen, more policemen, more teachers," Romney is shown saying at an event in Iowa. "Did he not get the message of Wisconsin? The American people did. It's time for us to cut back on government and help the American people."

The Obama campaign video claims Romney made cuts to public sector workers while governor of Massachusetts

On Tuesday, Romney said the assertion he wants to cut jobs for firefighters and policemen "a very strange accusation."

"Of course, teachers and firemen and policemen are hired at the local level and also by states," Romney said on Fox News. "The federal government doesn't pay for teachers, firefighters or policemen. So obviously that's completely absurd."

Responding to a statistic that Americans' wealth had dropped sharply between 2007-2010, Romney took aim at Obama's campaign tagline.

"That's why the American people are having such a hard time," Romney said. "That's why the idea of selecting as a campaign slogan 'forward' is so absurd. The American people are facing really tough circumstances. They're looking at how they're going to pay for retirement."

In a separate interview with radio host Neal Boortz, Romney said the Obama campaign's attacks on his record as Massachusetts governor ignored basic facts about his tenure.

"They have a little trouble with the truth I'm afraid," Romney said. "Actually, when I was serving as governor, we got our unemployment rate down to 4.7% by the time I left. I imagine the president would like to hear a number like that for the nation if he could."

Romney went on to hammer Obama for his own economic record, saying, "whether or not you think he is a nice guy, he has clearly failed us."

Romney continued, "His policies did not work. The economy did not turn around. Housing prices didn't come up. Unemployment was not brought down as he said it would."

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama
  1. LB

I don't trust Mitt.

June 12, 2012 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  2. Severely Moderate

June 12, 2012 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  3. Kansas Cowboy

I would consider Romney for President if he would articulate his economic plan. All I see is more supply-side economics, tax cuts at the top, etc. I don't see anything new or any vision that I would have faith in. I am not wild about Obama, but I am less enthusiastic about Romney.

June 12, 2012 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  4. Wire Palladin, S. F.

How dare anyone repeat what Romney promises at one campaign event, when they know he will deny it at the next? Under Romney, we will see the United States of A Mercenary.

June 12, 2012 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  5. Romney is a LIAR

Just read my name I have nothing else to say!

June 12, 2012 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  6. Thomas

3 days ago – In Iowa , Mitt Romney shockingly promised to cut jobs for firefighters, police, and teachers if elected.

Mitt Romney ,
    I don't know what I said , but I meant what I said .

June 12, 2012 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  7. Curt

What didn't work Mitt was a do-nothing Republican congress who's sole intention was to make sure Obama was a one term President. And do you think Mitt that maybe two wars started by Bush ( with no tax increases to pay for them ) may be a major cause of the debt? Since you seem to think you have all the answers Mitt, how be if you become President ( and I hope you have a Democratic controlled house should that happen) and you do not have unemployment down below 5%, and the econonmy has not recovered within 2 years you will resign as President.

June 12, 2012 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  8. Anonymous

Romney lies too much. It's unsettling.

June 12, 2012 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  9. rs

Oh, Mr. Romney. Caught in another blatant lie.

June 12, 2012 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  10. GROVER NORQUIST IS A ENEMY OF THE STATE/ConservaFASCISTS

You said it Willard, not us. "Did he not get the message of Wisconsin? The American people did. It's time for us to cut back on government and help the American people." So are you saying that public sector workers aren't American? Apparently you think it's okay to be cutting back dramatically on public sector jobs. Not in the history of this country during an economic recovery have we seen so many public sector jobs slashed. The president is asking Congress to put teachers, cops and firefighters back to work, but the republican House is obstructing everything. This argumnt Willard keeps making that the President's policies haen't worked is clearly a lie. 80% of economists say the stimulus worked. Last time I checked, 80% was a majority.

June 12, 2012 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  11. chromigula

Hearing Mittens say someone has "trouble with the truth" feels like the neighborhood alcoholic saying that the pastor drinks too much.

June 12, 2012 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  12. Sandy

Romney doesn't understand why he is being attacked for saying he would fire teachers, firefighters and cops? LMAO! You can't make this stuff up!

June 12, 2012 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  13. Sandy

"Severely Moderate

“There is something so grotesquely hypocritical about the Romney campaign. We’re not going to beat Barack Obama with someone who owns Swiss bank accounts and Cayman Island accounts. Mitt Romney should know that we aren’t that stupid and he isn’t that clever. To have his campaign take on a lifetime of lies, frankly I do find infuriating. I think it is one of the most dishonest things I’ve seen in politics.” – Newt Gingrich (01/26/12)"

I hope the Dems make this into an ad!

June 12, 2012 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  14. Wake up people

Let me get this straight, Robmey says Americans wealth declined between 2007 and 2010...just how is this all on President Obama??? He wasn't elected until November 2008, he wasn't sworn in until January 2009 and the Bush policies were still in effect for most of 2009...how can President Obama be blamed for this? This man had to clean up behind Howdy Doody with no help from the party of No. Wake up people!

OBAMA 2012!

June 12, 2012 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  15. mcskadittle

wow its as if he is not aware that everything he says is recorded forever, i thought he would shake that etchasketch once after the primaries not every week

June 12, 2012 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  16. A not-so-stupid former republican

Willard says that Americans are wondering about how to pay for their retirement. Do you suppose that is is because it is because republican fat cats on Wall Street and in the banking world tanked the economy and destroyed many peoples' retirement funds for their own evil gain? Willard is LIAR when he accuses President Obama for this mess.

June 12, 2012 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  17. Obama 2012 - BEND Forward America, take another 4 long years of FAILURE

Obama is like a kid in a candy store. He wants everything but doesn't realize he, or somebody else, has to pay for it. He simply doesn't accept the fact that when times are tough, cutbacks have to be made. It is ALWAYS time to spend, spend, spend. In the past, borrowing might have been an option but now the government credit card is tapped out. Leftists refuse to accept this very real FACT.

Just look over in Europe, they STILL refuse to accept that fact and think they can just continue to borrow others money to fund their life style. Problem is that now nobody wants to lend them anymore money because they haven't paid back what they've already borrowed, let alone any new borrowing.

June 12, 2012 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  18. Dominican mama 4 Obama

It is only a strange claim to you Romney because you lie so much YOU can't remember what you've said.
    Barack is going to sweep the debate floor with you, and I, one among MILLIONS of us, cannot wait.
    You deserve no less for all of the despicable, bald-faced lies you've told than to be publicly humiliated by our Commander-in-Chief.
    Obama 2012. Because the alternative is a bad joke on "AMERCIA".

June 12, 2012 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  19. Goose

Romney, touting his qualifications for President, claims that the federal government doesn't pay for teachers, fire or police...completely overlooking the billions upon billions of dollars each year the federal government spends on teachers, fire and police...this guy is a frigging joke and will fight to continue the plutocratic reign over our country

June 12, 2012 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  20. Oh, gosh, gee Willy, Willard!

"They have a little trouble with the truth, I'm afriad." Pot............kettle............black.

It is a good thing we have Willard to set the record straight about truth, justice, and the American way. If you don't agree with what he is saying, people, just wait until the next news cycle, and you will.

Romney gives new meaning to the term "Slick Willy." This guy is not presidential material.

Mitt Romney will say anything. This is really starting to get comical now. This is cringeworthy.

Nothing he says surprises me anymore. I haven't seen him interviewed on anything except Fox News.

June 12, 2012 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  21. Larry L

I heard him say it! We all heard him say it! Does he expect us to forget everything he says when he flip-flops? That might work with the radical right-wing but it won't work with those of us with functioning brain cells.

June 12, 2012 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  22. Marie MD

You know what worse than lying, bishop? Not being able to keep your lies and what you actually say straight!
    You are the BIGGEST failure for somebody running for office of our country. You have been campaigning eith no results for decades. The only job you ever held was to fire people, bankrupt companies and make money from it.
    Who is the failure?

June 12, 2012 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  23. Marie MD

"And I forget precisely what exactly what I said but I stand by what I said whatever it was."

Somebody wants this bishop for president? What a piece of work!

June 12, 2012 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  24. Ray E. (Georgia)

Wow,
    Some people are really confused. The Romney Plan is for you to do most of it yourself! You can do things for yourself, can't you? That's how it was when the Pilgrims came to the New World. They did it themselves! So, why can't you? You need somebody to hold your hand?

June 12, 2012 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  25. Mark

I watched a video of a Romney speech in which he tells the crowd he would cut jobs like teachers, policemen and firemen. Now he says that's not true. I guess this is typical of the flip-flopping Romney.... say whateve he thinks the crowd want to hear and then deny it.
    And how does he know that Obama's policies have failed? The republicans in congress refuse to pass any of his measures? Doesn't that mean that the republicans in congress have failed?

June 12, 2012 11:16 am at 11:16 am |