Romney horse headed to Olympics
A photo provided by the Romney campaign shows Ann Romney with Rafalca, a horse she co-owns.
June 16th, 2012

Romney horse headed to Olympics

(CNN) - Her husband, the presidential candidate, may be better known for his ties to the Olympics, but this year, Ann Romney will have some skin in the games.

Rafalca, the horse she co-owns, and trainer Jan Ebeling earned a spot on the U.S. Equestrian Team on Saturday in the sport of dressage and will advance to this summer's Olympic Games in London.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The horse placed third in the Olympic Grand Prix Special Test, held Saturday in Gladstone, New Jersey. Rafalca scored an overall 73.169%, placing behind competitors Calecto V and Legolas, and ahead of nine others.

"It's great to be part of the Olympics again," Romney tweeted. "We are so proud of Jan and Team USA. Now let's bring home the gold!"

Dressage requires a combination of "the strength and agility of gymnastics with the elegance and beauty of ballet," according to the U.S. Equestrian Federation. The sport takes place in an arena and routines are judged on "accuracy of the transitions (changes of gait), obedience, suppleness of the horse, quality of the gaits, and the rider's use of aids."

Mitt Romney's presidential campaign did not respond to requests for comment.

– CNN's Rachel Streitfeld and Gregory Wallace contributed to this report

Also see:

No mention of Romney as Palin serves up anti-Obama red meat

Back in the spotlight, Cain invokes rabble-rousing routine

Romney bus tour's immigration detour

Unemployment leads Obama, GOP weekly addresses

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney • Mitt Romney
  1. Roy

Ask Romney if he is willing to donate all of his $250 million to help to pay off USA debt but he can keep his $10 million so in that way we can see if he truly cares about our country.

June 16, 2012 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  2. Thomas

And the other guy plays basketball...

June 17, 2012 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  3. jimPNW

Yes this man is just like you and me. No wonder he can not connect with the heart of America, the middle class.

June 17, 2012 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  4. Mike Sk

Ohhhh Dressage....what an elitist!

June 17, 2012 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  5. devinjgray

Does anyone remember 2004, when republicans said John Kerry was out-of-touch because he liked to windsurf? I don't hear any of them talking about dressage- probably because they can't pronounce it.....

June 17, 2012 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  6. Thomas

I can't wait .

He's such the common man. It's good Mitt , nor his five sons ever volunteered for military service.

He is a born leader !

June 17, 2012 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  7. Oh Really?

Did they check the horse for wounds and the other abusive methods that have showed up recently in the news? I think that horse should get thoroughly checked out. The Romney camp have already shown that they are the 'use and discard' type.

June 17, 2012 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  8. trashcup

Romney – for the middle class man. Doesn't every person have a horse going to the Olympics? Does it have to ride on the roof of the airplane to get there? Just another example of how much the Romney's are out of touch with the rest of America.

June 17, 2012 03:01 am at 3:01 am |
  9. Sydnium S. Washington

One of your allies wants to win some gold too but in some different fashion. Guess who?

June 17, 2012 03:35 am at 3:35 am |
  10. frag

Good news.................put Romney in charge of the next Olympics.............Are they going to strap the horse on the roof of the car?

June 17, 2012 05:15 am at 5:15 am |
  11. Lucky18

Romney is spreading his "manure" everywhere!

June 17, 2012 06:39 am at 6:39 am |
  12. Andrew

Wait!!! I want my horse to be included!! yeah...Romney has soo much in common with us 'commoners'...lets see..multiple beachfront homes, elevator cars, horses, and he wants to tax us more and give his 'ilk' a 6 figure tax break on top of what they get now??? Oh yeah.. he's my choice...

June 17, 2012 07:32 am at 7:32 am |
  13. cigarman

I have a better idea, rather than sending the horse to Londoon, let`s send Romney and our congress to London for good. I floated that idea to the people in London and they wrote me back and said that the United States would be charged with Littering if we sent Romney and our congress.

June 17, 2012 07:48 am at 7:48 am |
  14. Johnny DC

Sad, silly CNN translation: "Look at Romney, he is so wealthy that he owns a horse. Please subconsciously distance yourselves from Romney, as anyone who has enough money to own a horse is clearly only looking out for the 1%."

This message has been approved by CNN, a wholly owned subsidiary of Barack Obama for President.

June 17, 2012 08:02 am at 8:02 am |
  15. William

Seeing as he is an American and representing us on the world stage i wish him and his horse all the luck.

June 17, 2012 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  16. Chipster

Well, I'll offer sincere congratulations to Ann Romney and the best of luck for their Olympics performance. Now, CNN: why is this under "Political Ticker?" Just curious . . .

June 17, 2012 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  17. In Your Face

Wonderfull story.
    This will warm the hearts of the unemployed for sure.

June 17, 2012 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  18. Nate

This is what rich people do with their tax breaks – teach horses to dance ballet.

June 17, 2012 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  19. stainpouch

Oh, Bishop Mittens' many tribulations: will my car elevator really solve my home parking issues? what will I do with that extra ten million dollars from this year? will my horse dance well enough to win the Olympics? As opposed to: since Goldman Sachs stole my retirement acct, will I have to work until I die? How will I pay my bills when I haven't had a raise in a decade? I am hungry enough to eat a horse–is that even legal? If you think that the Bishop is out of touch, he's not–his many corporations touch you up everyday. And it should make you feel good that his horse can dance. When will pigs start to fly?

June 17, 2012 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  20. Ashley from Ohio

At least the Romney's finally have a qualified horse in the race . . .

June 17, 2012 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  21. Jean

The real American people do not own an expensive horse,they do not have elevtors that protect their expensive cars.They are not in awe as the watch the production process in McDonalds.This is the experience of one candidate for President..He has never experienced the outside world of employment.Mitt Romney,who is known for the tearing down of American jobs,not the building up of jobs.Romney is not just the wealthy or the normal elite.He is the wealthy that as he looks down on the average person they look like ants.They are the people they use to serve them.These ants that if not in control could be mashed and never be thought of again.If you want to give this man authority over your private and personal lives,you will be the ones who will vote for him. I for one do not consider myself so unworthy that I consider man my God,especially Mitt Romney.I will be voting for my freedom,my free to choose all things that make up my life,Barrack Obama.because he sees people's lives as their own.,

June 17, 2012 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  22. Franks

Dressage is noted for being the amount of torture it takes to make a horse perform unnatural movements. Sounds like the perfect sport for Mitt Romney.

Why is Horse Ballet in the Olympics? What part of Swifter, Higher, Stronger covers horse ballet? This belongs in the Olympics like competitive eating.

June 17, 2012 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  23. lyn

Political Ticker be FAIR why is it you only have Romney on your posting, What about giving our President Obama the same on your post. I am fedup seeing the dishornest face of Romney on every post, why are you being so BIAS be FAIR and stop only posting Romney and his wife NO MORE please. Our President deserve to have the same thank you.

June 17, 2012 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  24. sanster89

Wow! I Feel so much more connected to this guy now. Let me look in my suburban backyard-nope no racing horses.

June 17, 2012 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  25. Nathan

Dressage? Seriously? Please tell me again how the basketball playing President is an elitist

June 17, 2012 09:29 am at 9:29 am |