Ann Romney 'excited' her horse Olympic-bound
June 18th, 2012

Ann Romney 'excited' her horse Olympic-bound

(CNN) – Ann Romney will not be riding her dressage horse Rafalca at this summer's London Olympics, but she said Monday she was still proud to represent the United States in the global competition.

"I am so excited honestly to be able to represent the United States," Romney said in a radio interview with WJR's Frank Beckmann. "I have a horse that is going to be fighting for gold in London and I am very excited about that. Wow! It has been a dream of mine for a long, long time, ever since I was a little girl."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Romney said she did ride Rafalca herself, but the level of competition in London was beyond her abilities.

"I do ride this horse, but not in competition," Romney, the wife of presumptive GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney, said Monday. "People say, 'Well you can ride at that level,' and I say, "Well…" It's like being the country club pro in one place, and then going to Wimbledon. You don't understand how professional these riders are that are riding at this level. It's quite competitive."

Rafalca earned a spot on the U.S. Equestrian Team on Saturday in the sport of dressage. The horse placed third in the Olympic Grand Prix Special Test, held Saturday in Gladstone, New Jersey. Rafalca scored an overall 73.169%, placing behind competitors Calecto V and Legolas, and ahead of nine others.

In her interview Monday, Romney also spoke about life on the campaign trail, saying she didn't mind the hoards of hecklers that have followed her husband's six-state, five day bus tour.

"It is what we love about America so I don't mind them," Romney said. "You know, they were shouting us down, trying to shout us down yesterday and I don't mind it. It is a great contrast about why we love this country and how hard people have to work to get to accomplish their dreams."

Asked if, as president, Mitt Romney and his family would take as many vacations as President Barack Obama, Romney responded with a laugh.

"I doubt that," she said. "Our vacations and our happiness comes from being with our children and our grandchildren."

Vacations, Romney explained, would likely take place at the family's own homes.

"We have our own places that we do that, and I'm assuming that we'll be doing the same," Romney said.

The Romney's own vacation homes in San Diego and on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire.

Also see:

Golfer-in-chief hits 100th round as president

Lawmakers mum on health care contingency plans

Romney sees bright side of rain-soaked campaign event

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney
  1. two and out for GOP

@Myviewis..You make a good point regarding the Kennedys and their wealth however, they seem to be bit more humble with their wealth than many of the Republicans who have either been in Office or seeking it after Kennedy. Also, the Democrats of late didn't have much of Family wealth like the Republicans after the Kennedy term. LBJ, Carter, and Cliton wealth came more so after their term in Office.

June 18, 2012 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  2. Sam

Wow, silly me. Here I am each month paying for medication that costs $1800 without insurance. I should have just bought a horse. Tell me, Sam, what do the people do who can't even afford the co-pay of that $1800 a month medication? Insurance companies don't discount it as much as other, more common medications such as anti-biotics.

What does this have anything to do with an $1800 copay? She got into horse riding for therapy, and it blossomed into a bigger hobby. What the hell do you people care she's sending a horse to the Olympics?

June 18, 2012 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  3. Really?

And Obama golfs.

June 18, 2012 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  4. michaelam

Nice photo op! But-who goes into a horse stable wearing a white blouse, designer jeans, and heels? Who does that? Oh, some out of touch rich woman, that's who--hope she doesn't step in any poooo!

June 18, 2012 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  5. Really?

And Obama golfs while his wife vacations and tells other people to get off their butts and exercise.

June 18, 2012 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  6. Deb W.

For all of you who believe dressage is just elitist, there are also horses of all breeds competing and training in dressage. There are even rescued horses, ex-race horses, ponies, and horses who had formerly been bound for the slaughterhouse, who are now performing dressage. There are also people of all ages who ride in dressage competitions, and a great many handicapped riders. There seem to be a lot of ignorant people who are proud of their ignorance. Too bad none of you have done any research on the topic before you start shooting your mouth off.

The Romneys, it's true, are at the top of the sport because of their wealth. So what? I, for one, am thankful for people like them who help pay the way of others in this sport.

June 18, 2012 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  7. Myviewis

Eddie The Barber

Isn't that special. She'll make a great first lady – NOT!
    ----------------
    Hey, that's not nice, what are you trying to say about First Lady Jackie Kennedy? Mrs. Kennedy was a great first lady. Her richness, wealth and horses did not keep her from being the lady that she was in the White House and she even went Fox-Hunting and that didn't change her from being a great lady.

June 18, 2012 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  8. nolimits3333

It seems like a cruel and stupid sport.

June 18, 2012 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  9. Noodle Nose Johnson

OMG! She's soooo like us! Just an every day stay at home Mom who owns an Olympic Equestrian horse. I mean who doesn't these days?

June 18, 2012 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  10. Wolftracks

I have no problem with the Romney's wealth or their lifestyle but I do have a problem with them telling us they are just like us because they are not. They could never relate to the average American.

June 18, 2012 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  11. Anonymous

Why do some people hate success? It is so annoying that, just because they are successful, they are hated. Get over it. Life isnt fair. get over it.

June 18, 2012 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  12. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Horses are people too. Mittens is always horsing around when he is not lying.

June 18, 2012 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  13. AreYouForReal?!

oh, btw, if Romney follows GOP vacation rules, he'll be at 3x the number Obama took in his first term thus far... so, yeah, you may be vacationing at your own (privately funded by an overseas unknown account) vacation home(s), but you'll still be taking more days off than our current president.

June 18, 2012 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  14. It's Your Horse Too American Taxpayers

I believe I read somewhere that the Romney's took a $77,000 writeoff on their 2010 income tax return for their little horse hobby. If this is true, then this horse is subsidized by the taxpayers of America. The Romneys pay less than 15% in taxes and take a writeoff for their expensive horse. It's kind of incredible to live in a country where a millionaire can own a horse like this and get a tax writeoff for it.

June 18, 2012 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  15. Wake up people

Come on cnn, can't you do better than this??? This is news?? We all know Anne Robmey is a uber rich housewife that has never had to worry about holding down a job, paying bills all the while trying to be the best mother she can be. I'm sure if I were uber rich I could truly relate to her. But like many women, I can't. She is NOTHING like myself or any of the women I know. Enjoy that platinum health care Anne, while your hubby wants to do away with it for many, many Americans who don't have healthcare of any kind.

OBAMA 2012!

June 18, 2012 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  16. Rudy NYC

Myviewis actually wrote:

I don't think so, since they didn't build one for Macaroni, Caroline Kennedy's pony that lived in the White House. You do realize the Kennedys were first with horses before the Romneys?
    ----------------
    The way you just make stuff up that sounds good to you is truly amazing.
    What did they use prior to the invention of the automobile. Hmm? Horses?

June 18, 2012 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  17. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

Yea, this stay home mom sure works hard! Raising kids, I mean raising horses is sure a full-time job! Now I see why she needs seven nannies and butlers! After all, it takes a village to raise a child, I mean a horse!

June 18, 2012 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  18. ge

payed for with other peoples jobs-pensions-healthcare-when there done with the horse it will be on somebody,s supper plate in china

June 18, 2012 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  19. Bob

Neither of these rich fools knows the meaning of the word "work".

June 18, 2012 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  20. ThinkAgain

"I have a horse that is going to be fighting for gold..."

Give me a break! It's a horse that's been trained to do fancy footwork – and has suffered untold humiliations to "look right" (just google what they do to get the horse to keep its tail up, if you want more detail). There's nothing "fighting" about this.

If Ann wants to know what "fighting" for something really is, she should encourage her sons to enlist in defending our country ... or try raising kids without nannies, cooks, chauffeurs or car elevators ... or deal with the reality of having your or your spouse's job outsourced to China in the name of private equity "investment."

June 18, 2012 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  21. J

Myviewis

mcskadittle

are they going to build stables at the white house?
    ------–
    ****************

There will be no need to build stables. The Obama's do not own any horses.

June 18, 2012 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  22. Rudy NYC

Myviewis

Well Rudy to answer your question, many little girls like First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy shared the dreams with Ann Romney. Mrs. Kennedy herself used to compete in horse shows and used to be a fearless horsewoman. Mrs. Kennedy kept her horses in Virginia, was always riding while in the White House and used to go fox-hunting. I suggest you guys also criticize Mrs. Kennedy if you're going to criticize Mrs. Romney.

...and then later wrote...

------------–
    It takes talent to directly contradict yourself in the same thread.

Firs you say the Kennedy's didn't keep horses at the White House, and then you say they were the first. Which one is it going to be next time?

June 18, 2012 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  23. rs

Myviewis
    I don't know if you've noticed- there are no Kennedys on the ballot. There is however, Mr. Romney with his multiple home; trustfund kids; and car elevators. HE accused Mr. Obama of being "out of touch".

June 18, 2012 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  24. CRAIG

I know every move a presidential candidate makes is under scrutiny but really, this horse subject is ridiculous. I hope the horse wins & who cares how many vacations (or where they take them) a president takes. By the way, I'm a Democrat.

June 18, 2012 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  25. Nad

I do hope they will be taking long vacations and...stay out of politics

June 18, 2012 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |