Romney laughs at V.P. speculation
June 19th, 2012

Romney laughs at V.P. speculation

(CNN) - Mitt Romney on Tuesday addressed a recent news report that Sen. Marco Rubio is not being vetted to serve as Romney's No. 2, saying only he and the woman tapped to lead the search know "who is being vetted."

"I get a kick out of some of the speculation that goes on," Romney said on Fox News. "I'm not going to comment on the process of course, but I can tell you this: only Beth Myers and I know who is being vetted."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The report from ABC News said Rubio, thought to be on a list of potential picks, was not being vetted to serve in the role. The story cited "Republican sources" who said Rubio had not been asked to complete any questionnaires or turn over any financial documents.

As acknowledged in the story, it is possible Rubio might still receive a background check. Romney tapped his former chief of staff Myers two months ago to head the search.

Rubio, the first term Florida senator, is a rising star within the Republican Party and has appeared with Romney on the campaign trail. Despite his national image, Rubio has repeatedly said he would not discuss the V.P. process in public, insisting he plans to remain a U.S. senator.

The son of Cuban immigrants, Rubio has focused his attention on a Republican plan to address immigration for young Americans who entered the U.S. illegally. However, following President Barack Obama's announcement Friday of a plan for children of illegal immigrants who meet certain requirements to stave off deportation for two years, Rubio dropped plans to introduce his own legislation.

On Monday, Rubio spokesman Alex Conant said Obama's announcement "took away our momentum and made the politics a lot tougher."

– CNN Chief White House Correspondent Jessica Yellin contributed to this report.

Also see:

Major GOP donor eyes $100 million in donations

Rubio to shelve GOP immigration plan

Romney credits governors with states' success

Sunny Romney predicts Wisconsin win

Filed under: 2012 • 2012 VP Pick • Marco Rubio • Mitt Romney
  1. cali girl

Duck and Dodge, Flip Flopper. and kids toys names.

June 19, 2012 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  2. Obama - Protecting the rights of ILLEGAL ALIENS to invade our country while SUING states to make sure they can vote as well

Rubio will make a GREAT future VP or Presidential candidate. It is probably too early for him but he is very intelligent and articulate. The Democrats have NOBODY to match him. The Democrats have a VERY WEAK BENCH. And after Obama's lose in November decimates the Democrats, they will have even fewer.

June 19, 2012 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  3. Jim

I'd vote for Rubio. I'd get a kick out of a V.P. who was born of an illegal immigrant (at the time of birth).

June 19, 2012 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  4. Al-NY,NY

doesn't matter who Flip picks.....he's toast

June 19, 2012 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  5. Ricardo

Who cares? I'm not

June 19, 2012 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  6. Rudy NYC

"Rubio will make a GREAT future VP or Presidential candidate. ....."
    -----------
    You said the same thing about Cain, Perry, and Santorum.

You know who would make a better VP? Biden.

June 19, 2012 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  7. Laura, Massachusetts

Pick Marco Rubio. Think of it you both have a lot in common. Both Latino desent. Both have same initials M.R. Both better than Obama!!!

Romney/Rubio 2012

June 19, 2012 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  8. California Gary

I join Romney in laughing at the VP speculation.......it will be hard to top the Palin pick of 2008, but I have confidence that Mitt will pick someone we can all have a good laugh over. So many clowns out there, but he can only pick one.

June 19, 2012 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  9. alyarby

Mitt Romney could run with Daffy Duck and it would still be better than the team currently occupying the White House. I would be pleased to see Rubio, but there are many others who are also outstanding candidates. After all, is there anyone who is not better than Joe Biden? I mean, c'mon....

June 19, 2012 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  10. Woman In California

Does it REALLY matter? Whomever he chooses will be just as unemployed as he is when the American people wake up and realize Willard wants more wars (dead family members) and would only give us another Greater Recession.

June 19, 2012 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  11. Indy

So said the man that has been stalking and speculating every breath the President takes.
    alyarby: I noticed you could not come up with any names when you mentioned there were many other outstanding candidates,I guess they can't be that outstanding afterall.

June 19, 2012 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  12. vote the Tea Party OUT in 2012

Romney/Priebus 2012 both are pretty good at telling half-truths and downright non-truths.

June 19, 2012 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  13. Angel

Republicans are counting on Marco Rubio to act like some kind of charismatic pied piper who will attract and blindly lead Hispanic followers to vote for Mitt Romney. This is just down right insulting.

June 19, 2012 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  14. Jules

Well. he'd be smart not to pick Rubio or Christy. They both make for terrible visuals – Rubio looks like a kid that would be one step away from the presidency and Christy looks and acts like an overgrown (and I do mean overgrown) school yard bully.

June 19, 2012 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  15. Name willardbullock

I am said mocked out of presdient obama that he said word that broke is sytems also I found out what happened about broke sytems also I m serouis want more explain with mclain

June 19, 2012 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  16. sassysticks53

If "dems have nobody to match Rubio," why isn't he being vetted for vp? LOL! There is no way in h ell Robme would pick a latino for his vp.

June 19, 2012 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  17. Obama - Protecting the rights of ILLEGAL ALIENS to invade our country while SUING states to make sure they can vote as well

Rudy NYC
    "Rubio will make a GREAT future VP or Presidential candidate. ....."
    ---–
    You said the same thing about Cain, Perry, and Santorum.
    You know who would make a better VP? Biden
    ===========================================================
    No I didn't Rudy... More delusion on your part.

BTW, even Democrats don't want Biden on the ticket but they are stuck with him. They'd dump him in a second for Hillary Clinton, if they could. Actually, I think once Obama starts falling behind in the polls, this will be his "October Surprise" to try and save his job. By then he will have used up all of his smoke and mirrors and will have pandered to every group possible. But the American people will not be fooled no matter what he pulls. Nothing can change the fact that he is a 4 year FAILURE.

June 19, 2012 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  18. Romney is not My Hero

I'm laughing at this, too. He doesn't need a VP because he's going to lose!

"Mr. Plastic" Romney/Faux News 2012!

June 19, 2012 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  19. Wake up people

We all know Rubio is at the top of the list. Mittens wants and needs the Latino vote and will do anything to beat President Obama, and his out of touch with reality self actually thinks Marco Rubio will help him. I don't know a lot about Rubio, but reading the blogs he doesn't seem too popular with the Latino base. I know who won't be on the list though, Jeb Bush. They are not happy about his remarks he made last week. I also think Jeb is biding his time, waiting for the stench from his brother to wear off so he can run for POTUS. He doesn't want to be VP to that idiot Robmey.

OBAMA 2012!

June 19, 2012 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  20. cigarman

Rubio cannot be President or Vice President, He was not born in the United States. Ask him for his birth certificate, I have, and received no reply, and he is my congressman, unfortunately. I am a registered Republican and I despise some of the things that Obama is doing, the latest is amnesty for Illegal Aliens and Illegal criminals from other countries. I will be voting for Obama again though, I will hold my nose. If I vote for Romney and the Republican Party, I would be voting to do away with Medicare, Social Security, Unions,Womens Rights. Higher Taxation on the Middle-class and the poor, Reduction in Taxes for the Super Rich, and many other things that the Republican Party is not telling us about. Anyone who is not a multi-millionaire who votes Republican is a fool for voting against themselves.

June 19, 2012 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  21. Bill

Rubio will be virtually no help to the ticket. He may help win the Cuban-American vote in Florida, but other than that, no boost for Romney if he takes this route. Sorry Mittens, none of your choices will improve your chances. Have you called Sarah Palin yet?

June 19, 2012 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  22. Amelia

Pick Christie! Go Mitt 2012!

June 19, 2012 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  23. V

Mitt is laughing at all of us. He truly believes he can buy the presidency and the American people are too dumb to notice. Everyting this guy is asked a "real" question, he either changes the subject or makes light of it. Are you sure this is the person you want running the country? Might as well just hand over the keys to the White House to Rove, Cheney and the Koch brothers. They WILL be running the show then.

June 19, 2012 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  24. Mark in Seattle

I didn't think the republican party bothered with vetting their vp choices.

June 19, 2012 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  25. Larry L

I see he has his ridiculous, right-wing anchor baby at his side. Can anybody visualize that twit as POTUS? Romney must be a tremendous disappointment to those few Republicans left who aren't right-wing radicals.

June 19, 2012 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |