New poll: Obama has double digit advantage
June 20th, 2012

New poll: Obama has double digit advantage

Washington (CNN) - A new national survey indicates President Barack Obama has opened up a double digit lead over Republican challenger Mitt Romney in the race for the White House, an advantage for Obama that no other major poll released this month has found.

According to a Bloomberg National Poll released Wednesday, 53% of people likely to vote in the November presidential election say they support the president, with 40% saying they back Romney, the former Massachusetts governor and presumptive GOP nominee.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The survey indicates Obama has a 13-point lead over Romney even though those questioned gave him low marks on his handling of the economy and the deficit. Six in ten said the nation is headed down the wrong track.

According to the poll, by a 55%-36% margin, likely voters view Romney as more out of touch with average Americans than Obama. And only 39% have a favorable view of Romney, with 48% saying they see him in a negative light. Fifty-five percent say the have a favorable opinion of the president, with 36% saying they view him in an unfavorable way.

The Bloomberg poll was conducted June 15-18, with 1,002 adults nationwide, including 734 likely voters, questioned by telephone. The survey's sampling error for questions only of likely voters is plus or minus 3.6 percentage points.

The Bloomberg horse race numbers are very different than most of the other national polls released over the past month, which indicated the race was tied or showed Obama with a slight advantage.

A new CNN Poll of Polls, which averages the three latest national horserace surveys, puts Obama at 48% and Romney at 43%. The three surveys included in the CNN Poll of Polls are Bloomberg (June 15-18), Gallup Daily Tracking Poll (June 12-18) and Reuters/Ipsos (June 7-11). The CNN Poll of Polls does not have a sampling error.

Also see:

Major GOP donor eyes $100 million in donations

Rubio to shelve GOP immigration plan

Romney credits governors with states' success

Sunny Romney predicts Wisconsin win

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • Polls • President Obama
  1. blah

What a joke. I'm going to survey 1000 republicans and see who they think should be president!

June 20, 2012 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  2. SafeJourney

Repubs, you Can Not Make people like Mitt. He has a Big Problem

June 20, 2012 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  3. Grim Reaper

Obama is about as fine as CNNs ratings. He's going to lose on Obamacare, immigration, and go into a negative spin. Unemployment numbers will continue to haunt him through the campaign and the Wall Street money he copped in 2008 is gone. Keep telling yourself of his poll advantage and after he pulls a Dukakis you can explain how he ended up being another Jimmy Carter.

June 20, 2012 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  4. Duane - St. Pete FLA

really? every business owner and working people I speak to can't wait to get rid of this anti-business Pres...I guess I am speaking to the wrong people.....I'll go down to the food stamp distrobution center and I'm sure I'll find lots of love for him there.....

June 20, 2012 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  5. Mike

I Second this!! Hear Hear! – c2020man@gamil.com
    I am an independent and idologist, narrowed-mided parties (especially GOP) are dragging all of us and the country down. I dont agree with a lot of things Obama did but to go back to Bush policies with plastic-face Romany...Give me a break!!! GOP had got us into the current mess which Obama is trying his bet to get us out–without tiny bit of cooperation from GOP.

June 20, 2012 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  6. really

this is so biased. bloomberg so biased towards obama you would think they were dating. give me a break!

June 20, 2012 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  7. Mike

Is that all a thirteen point lead. I didn't know that there were still that many wealthy or dumb rednecks .

June 20, 2012 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |