Obama: 'I hope you still believe in me'
June 26th, 2012

Obama: 'I hope you still believe in me'

Atlanta (CNN) – President Barack Obama spoke to an excited crowd in Atlanta Tuesday, defending his Affordable Care Act on the eve of the Supreme Court's decision on the constitutionality of the law.

Speaking at a fundraising reception at the Westin Peachtree Plaza hotel, Obama told supporters "the American people understand we're not going to make progress by going backwards. We need to go forward. They understand we don't need to re-fight this battle over healthcare. It's the right thing to do."

- Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Repeating the "it's the right thing to do" mantra several times, the 500 attendees reacted with loud cheers. Each paid between $500 and $1000 to attend the event.

Highlighting the differences between Mitt Romney's economic plans and his own, Obama took shots at his rival's plan for top-down economics.

"We tried it, tried it recently and it doesn't work," Obama said, insisting the way to grow the economy is to "make sure every child in America has the best education possible" and to bring jobs back to the U.S.

Referencing a recent Washington Post article, Obama pointed out Romney's former firm, Bain Capital, was a pioneer in using offshore jobs. Obama stated frankly, "We need a president in the White House that will fight to bring jobs back to the U.S."

He told the group, "I am not a perfect man and I will never be a perfect president," but stressed the importance of Americans working together and acknowledged his need of the crowd's support.

"This is going to be a close election. The economy is still tough and folks are still frustrated," Obama said. He explained the messages from the Romney campaign will be, "the economy is bad and it's Obama's fault," but insisted that when he travels the country his faith is restored each day.

Laughing, he commented that in 2008 he didn't have all the gray hair he does today but promised "I believe in you. I hope you still believe in me."

- Check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator and game out your own strategy for November.

Also see:

Pawlenty: I'm best as a volunteer

Romney adviser: Obama immigration measure subject to repeal

Romney makes rounds at donor retreat

Jarrett to NABJ: White House bracing for health care decision

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama
  1. Sniffit

Funny thing about hope and change: my hope hasn't.

June 26, 2012 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  2. anoel2005

if Obama himself wasn't such a partisan, he may have had a chance to bring people together to get things done.

His partisan ideology will destroy him.

Clinton learned that lesson, made a change , got things done by working with Repubs and was considered a success.

June 26, 2012 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  3. The GOP should pack up and leave

We still believe in you!

June 26, 2012 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  4. Myviewis

If President Obama is so correct and true that Bain is bad than why doesn't he ask every American that works for Bain to do the right thing for America and quit their jobs????? If you don't like Bain than quit your job at Bain. Very simple and it will make President Obama very happy. Than when those jobs become available than those illegal immigrants with a US Work Permit that probably also came from the Dominican Republic will take those jobs of accounts receivable staff, receptionist, staff accountant, clerks, warehousing, bookkeepers, janitor, etc.....

June 26, 2012 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  5. Myviewis

Sniffit

Funny thing about hope and change: my hope hasn't.
    -------------------–

June 26, 2012 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  6. Claudia, Houston, Tx

I believe the future of America is in peril if we don't move "FORWARD" and President Obama is are only hope to move "FORWARD".

June 26, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  7. 2020

We have your back, President. Despite the destrctive force led by GOP and the extremers, you protected the nation's economy from collapse, you fight for us the middle class 99%, and stand firm on your ground, people are with you all the way.

June 26, 2012 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  8. WiredweirdinSF

He doesn't disappoint me. All it took was showing his union support and I knew he would turn out to be the most inept, incompetent, corrupt, union toady president in history.

June 26, 2012 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  9. Myviewis

Claudia, Houston, Tx

---------------------–

Perhaps you also are one of those attorneys making lots of money and hasn't realized that Obama doesn't know how to move "Forward" and we are just stuck right now because he doesn't know what to do. His speeches at some point need to materialize, become real life changes. He can't keep dreaming the dream because it doesn't pay the bills, put food on the table, money in the checkbook. He is a Speech, but he doesn't have the academics nor the experience to meet the needs of America.

June 26, 2012 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  10. Miroslava

If I could I would vote for you, President Obama. Those Americans who will vote for you will also vote for prosperity of people around the world. You have contributed so much already! Obama 2012!

June 26, 2012 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  11. daphine

Mr. President I still believe in you!

Lean forward.

OBAMA/BIDEN 2012

June 26, 2012 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  12. Sniffit

"It hasn't changed for you because you are an attorney, one of those people that make lots of money regardless if the economy is good or bad."

Not true and a total cheapshot. Good for you that you know how to operate on superficial generalizations though.

June 26, 2012 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  13. Matt, NY

He completely lost my support when he broke all of his promises and his "change" went the opposite direction in favor of not only more of the same but ALOT more. Bad President, HORRIBLE leadership. Worst misplaced faith in American history in this man.

June 26, 2012 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  14. Toby McDooogan

Obama 2012 he wants us to "bend forward!"

June 26, 2012 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  15. The Voice of Reason

I agree with Obama..."We need a president in the White House that will fight to bring jobs back to the U.S." Vote for Romney!!

June 26, 2012 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  16. georgewashington

Too much talk and no action. While the Republicans in Congress have not made it easy for the president he could have used the muscle of his office to do more. Once the Republicans pulled back from their health care commitments the president should have stopped being nice and every executive order possible to move the country forward.

When your opposition tells you their primary goal is make you a one term president that should have been enough.

June 26, 2012 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  17. JohnBorg

I don't, Mr. Obama. But, I'll vote for you because of Mitt Romney. You're not very good; You're not the progressive I thought you were. You are, however, the lesser of two evils.

June 26, 2012 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  18. Gurgyl

I believe in you,yes, look gas is going down with push of natural gas.

June 26, 2012 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  19. Silence DoGood

@Sniffit "Funny thing about hope and change: my hope hasn't."

You keep hoping when there is no change? I have some swamp land to sell you. And then some more 4 years later.

I am one liberal voter who will not be fooled twice. I am going Green Party and no Obama donation this time.

June 26, 2012 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  20. Ken

We DO believe. AND we will re-elect!!

June 26, 2012 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  21. voter

I think obama needs more time 4 yrs isn't enough time for any president... I believe quite a few pple in this country still cannot handle a man of color as president and so they throw rocks in his path without a 'real' reason. Unfortunately a lot of pple will resent my comment but quite frankly under todays global economical issues throughout the world I say obama has done the best he can do with the cards he was dealt. For goodness sake what's wrong with healthcare for everyone? This country has gone a long way in regards to race relations, but there is still a generation of white pple who still believe being a person of color makes you less of a person. Wasn't long ago when the south was segregated and still is. Compared to other countries in the world america is still managing to stay afloat, mostly because of obama.

June 26, 2012 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  22. Kev

No Mr President we don't. You lied to us. You preach transparency but you don't do it yourself. You only do things for a reason to benefit yourself. It's time for you to go. In my eyes your the worst President since Nixon.

June 26, 2012 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  23. Jeff Brown in Jersey

Mr. President, I still believe in you and will vote for you, even though you have capitulated and bowed time and again to the people who hate you and want to make you a one term president!

June 26, 2012 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  24. dave

actually, Obama tries to work with Republicans. he almost alienated his own party doing so. Clinton was a success because he was an economic genius.

June 26, 2012 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  25. Shills

Nope! Bailouts, Wall Street deception and sham, and doubling the price of cigarettes on hard working people. First year I was in major disappointment. They got to him before his first decision. Oh well.

June 26, 2012 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |