Obama: 'I hope you still believe in me'
June 26th, 2012

Obama: 'I hope you still believe in me'

Atlanta (CNN) – President Barack Obama spoke to an excited crowd in Atlanta Tuesday, defending his Affordable Care Act on the eve of the Supreme Court's decision on the constitutionality of the law.

Speaking at a fundraising reception at the Westin Peachtree Plaza hotel, Obama told supporters "the American people understand we're not going to make progress by going backwards. We need to go forward. They understand we don't need to re-fight this battle over healthcare. It's the right thing to do."

- Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Repeating the "it's the right thing to do" mantra several times, the 500 attendees reacted with loud cheers. Each paid between $500 and $1000 to attend the event.

Highlighting the differences between Mitt Romney's economic plans and his own, Obama took shots at his rival's plan for top-down economics.

"We tried it, tried it recently and it doesn't work," Obama said, insisting the way to grow the economy is to "make sure every child in America has the best education possible" and to bring jobs back to the U.S.

Referencing a recent Washington Post article, Obama pointed out Romney's former firm, Bain Capital, was a pioneer in using offshore jobs. Obama stated frankly, "We need a president in the White House that will fight to bring jobs back to the U.S."

He told the group, "I am not a perfect man and I will never be a perfect president," but stressed the importance of Americans working together and acknowledged his need of the crowd's support.

"This is going to be a close election. The economy is still tough and folks are still frustrated," Obama said. He explained the messages from the Romney campaign will be, "the economy is bad and it's Obama's fault," but insisted that when he travels the country his faith is restored each day.

Laughing, he commented that in 2008 he didn't have all the gray hair he does today but promised "I believe in you. I hope you still believe in me."

- Check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator and game out your own strategy for November.

Also see:

Pawlenty: I'm best as a volunteer

Romney adviser: Obama immigration measure subject to repeal

Romney makes rounds at donor retreat

Jarrett to NABJ: White House bracing for health care decision

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama
  1. Dominick

Each paid between $500 and $1000 to attend the event.

Hey, my wife is making us tacos tonight. I'll let you in at the dinner table for half the price and tell you the exact same things.

June 26, 2012 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  2. Jerry

NO, NO!!! A good percentage of Americans (except mostly the "dolers" and the cronies/political contributors to which you have regaled with billions of our hard-eaned tax-payer dollars) NO longer believe in YOU! If the people that kiss your shameful/dictatorial/sorry butt believe in you, that is their prerogative. Most of us WILL NOT BE "BENDING FORWARD". And for those that do "BEND FORWARD", make sure you apply generous amounts of Vaseline.

I hope you enjoy it..., after all, you deserve it!!!

June 26, 2012 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  3. Nathan

110% Mr President!

June 26, 2012 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  4. Guest

Obama is the working and middle class' only hope of maintaining a working and/or middle class in this country. Votes for Republicans are votes for reducing the working and middle classes to paupers/serfs in a society run by corporate masters. VOTE OBAMA!!!

June 26, 2012 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  5. stephen mccullough

I still believe in you Mr President ,,,The republicans are so out of touch with common man that I worry about myself ending up on streets if they have their way....
    Please people get the facts don't believe the media,,,go to these peoples websites and read about them,,,get the facts...

June 26, 2012 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  6. byronswetland

YES! I still believe that you are a liar and baby killer. Do I believe that you are a Christian? NO! Do I believe you should be running America? NO!

June 26, 2012 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  7. Jerry

Vanessa
    I still believe in you Mr President!.. & come November we, this hispanic community stand behind you! Si se puede!
    ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
    Vanessa, ¡NO, NO SE PUEDE! YOU, may stand behind Mr. President, however, not necessarily the Hispanic community of this great nation. You may want to speak for yourself.

Also, you sound like a "doler". KEEP ON "BENDING FORWARD." Be somewhat careful, though.

June 26, 2012 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  8. academiamole

HA HA HAAA HAAA HAAAA HAAAA HHHAAAA HAAAA!!!!

Believe in you!!??

OH!!! OHHH!!!! WHEEWW!!!! OHH!!! that's rich!!

Wheeew!!! Oh my!!! Oh Lord!! Please!!! Stop!! I can't breathe!! Whoah!!!

Good Lord!! Help me!! WHoooooooo!!!

June 26, 2012 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  9. hesea

No after four years and ntohing getting done. Two of which were a majority in the senate and house.

You could have had it all.

June 26, 2012 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  10. byronswetland

YES! I believe that you are still a Liar and Baby Killer – Do I believe you are a Christian? NO! ("You Shall Know Them By Their Fruits") Do I believe you should be the President of The United States? NO! – I wouldn't trust you with a paper route!! PLUS: Why would you even ask such a ridiculous question?? Anyone that votes for you has to be totally out of touch with reality!

June 26, 2012 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  11. Namejoan

Let d man finish what he started. Rome wasn't build in a day. Give him his chance .

June 26, 2012 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  12. Mike500

I NEVER believed in you, and you've proven me right!

June 26, 2012 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  13. bob smith

Obama has divided Americans. I say screw the 99%

June 26, 2012 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  14. sam900

Obama is hollow and highly over rated president. The media are trying to portray him as super intelligent, but I doubt that he is so. He does not like waterboard the terrorists, but does not mind ambush and kill them from the air. Even though some terrorists are Americans, Obama does not give them a chance for a fair trial.

June 26, 2012 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  15. The Fresh Noel

Yes I still believe in Obama he is the doing a great job . Obama saved the Auto industry and millions of jobs in which brought
    hundreds of thousands of more jobs adding third and second shifts to most auto plants . On the other hand Mitt Romney
    and a lot of other republican wanted to see the Auto industry go under as well as millions of jobs. No matter what Romney
    just can't be trusted.

June 26, 2012 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  16. goldphynger

Well you asked – so here is my answer. NO – I never believed in you and I certainly wouldn't believe in you after the past 3.5 years!

June 26, 2012 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  17. sonnie3

obama is stuck in reverse and I did not vote for him before because I thought he was unqualified and now that has been confirmed. his track record is something that will put him out of office. To many my way or the hiway from this potus.

June 26, 2012 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  18. sonnie3

After 3.5 years obamas hope has run out of gas. He has been operating on fumes and his bus is now stalled. Don't think it will ever get running again. Send him back to Chicago where his type are in demand.

June 26, 2012 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  19. T'sah From Virginia

►Myviewis

Sniffit

Funny thing about hope and change: my hope hasn't.
    -------–

It hasn't changed for you because you are an attorney, one of those people that make lots of money regardless if the economy is good or bad.◄

But yet, he still believes in President Obama... Figure That!!!

Obama 2012 – The Only Trusted Way Further!!!

June 26, 2012 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  20. T'sah From Virginia

oops, meant to say ... Forward – but hey, Further can do!! Forward!!!

June 26, 2012 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  21. Ralf

Myviewis: You probably forgot to take your depression meds today....Your envy is bigger than your heart...

June 26, 2012 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  22. Atul Chaudhary

Definitely we know that we need someone who can unite the country, not blame others for failures, work with opposition party for the good of America. You promised HOPE and CHANGE, all we got is DOPE and FANG. Although, I cannot completely trust but one thing I know that he was a working governor (instead of campaigning, golfing, & vacationing), worked with democrats to get things done in MA, and knows how to make bad things work like Olympics or sick companies.

Nobama 2012

June 26, 2012 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  23. geraldo

Hope and Change has become Divide and Blame

June 26, 2012 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  24. OBAMAROCKS

YES, YES, YES!!! You have my vote, Mr. President! Those grey hairs are not there because you are twiddling your fingers, hiding under a desk or something. You are FIGHTING for this country! So, I will be moving FORWARD with this country this year to keep you in office...OBAMA 2012-16!!!

June 26, 2012 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  25. Squigman

Looking back, it took republican values to screw it all up. What choice have we got if not forward?

June 26, 2012 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |