Obama: 'I hope you still believe in me'
June 26th, 2012

Obama: 'I hope you still believe in me'

Atlanta (CNN) – President Barack Obama spoke to an excited crowd in Atlanta Tuesday, defending his Affordable Care Act on the eve of the Supreme Court's decision on the constitutionality of the law.

Speaking at a fundraising reception at the Westin Peachtree Plaza hotel, Obama told supporters "the American people understand we're not going to make progress by going backwards. We need to go forward. They understand we don't need to re-fight this battle over healthcare. It's the right thing to do."

- Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Repeating the "it's the right thing to do" mantra several times, the 500 attendees reacted with loud cheers. Each paid between $500 and $1000 to attend the event.

Highlighting the differences between Mitt Romney's economic plans and his own, Obama took shots at his rival's plan for top-down economics.

"We tried it, tried it recently and it doesn't work," Obama said, insisting the way to grow the economy is to "make sure every child in America has the best education possible" and to bring jobs back to the U.S.

Referencing a recent Washington Post article, Obama pointed out Romney's former firm, Bain Capital, was a pioneer in using offshore jobs. Obama stated frankly, "We need a president in the White House that will fight to bring jobs back to the U.S."

He told the group, "I am not a perfect man and I will never be a perfect president," but stressed the importance of Americans working together and acknowledged his need of the crowd's support.

"This is going to be a close election. The economy is still tough and folks are still frustrated," Obama said. He explained the messages from the Romney campaign will be, "the economy is bad and it's Obama's fault," but insisted that when he travels the country his faith is restored each day.

Laughing, he commented that in 2008 he didn't have all the gray hair he does today but promised "I believe in you. I hope you still believe in me."

- Check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator and game out your own strategy for November.

Also see:

Pawlenty: I'm best as a volunteer

Romney adviser: Obama immigration measure subject to repeal

Romney makes rounds at donor retreat

Jarrett to NABJ: White House bracing for health care decision

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama
  1. ge

obama will move the country forward once the republicans are trimmed down-mitt will move it to china

June 26, 2012 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  2. Wade

The Prez is kidding right? Believe in what? I just hope we survive this nightmare!

June 26, 2012 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  3. wade

Federal agents and Arizona officials blast Homeland Security's refusal to cooperate with the state's immigration law and 'business as usual' approach in the wake of the Supreme Court ruling. The Supreme court gave him half a victory and then he went pouting off and told the justice department not to help enforce the laws of the land. How exactly can any one be expected to believe in you Obama you are a child! Your own federal agents are upset with you!

June 26, 2012 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  4. Wiley Thruster

Didn't Tinkerbell already say this in Peter Pan?

June 26, 2012 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  5. lamestreammedia

Obama spends all his time at fundraising events (170 of them) , and playing golf (200 rounds). He hardly has time to ruin the private sector economy anymore.

June 26, 2012 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  6. Wade

Claudia, what are you talking about? How is ANYTHING this president done moved our country forward? Can any of you libls name one thing that you want to see more of from this guy for the next 4 years? Just one thing? Is that crickets I hear chirping?

June 26, 2012 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  7. GMC123

If I remember right...he was supposed to bring jobs back to America when he was first elected. Wow...now he's bringing up all his promises that he made to fool people to elect him like they are new promises....He promised transparancy....hmmm....that's obviously not true. I knew people I worked with chant "Obama, Obama, Obama"...they were thrilled when he was first elected....but then again...they thought there were going to be stimulus checks in their pockets....they didn't even understand he wasn't giving it to the people to try to stimulate the economy. On the news, for some reason, people interviewed were thinking that he was going to pay their mortgages and pay their "light" bills. Where did they get that idea??? I seen no promises kept, and I sure didn't have the hope back then and I don't now with him.

June 26, 2012 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  8. C

Ha!

I still believe in hope and change and I am voting for it again!! 😉

Don't you think everyone (including Obama) would really be happier and better off if he could play golf full-time with no more bully pulpit to agitate the Country from?

You know...I voted for Bush the first time and then didn't his second term....don't vote for the wrong person for the job. Four more years of blaming Bush or Congress isn't gonna get our Country back on track. In fact...I truly believe we might never recover from what is coming with this man at the helm.

June 26, 2012 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  9. Reality Check

Only the delusional one believe you are anything other than a fraud.

June 26, 2012 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  10. Jim Sedberry

Going """Forward"""" is like coming down the grapevine without brakes or steering!!!!

June 26, 2012 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  11. jane

We're with you Mr. President

June 26, 2012 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  12. Craig

America To Obama: Where are the jobs?

June 26, 2012 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  13. S Islam

Have a hope, Mr. president.

June 26, 2012 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  14. jon

there he goes again...telling me what I believe and what I know. thanks...needed someone to tell me what I believe. btw...wouldn't dare interrupt B. Hussein Obama when he is speaking for fear of him yelling at me "don't speak when I'm speakin' "

June 26, 2012 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  15. RD Olson

I drank his kool-aid in '07 and '08, but not again! Obama is simply just another politician, and his leadership skills are incredibly weak. I'll probably vote for him, lesser of two evils, especially now that Americans Elect passed away, but I hold no hope for him to change much of anything. And he's not getting one red cent of my money, never again.

June 26, 2012 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  16. Tatiana Covington

I never did believe!

June 26, 2012 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  17. jon

@ Myviews...I am an attorney...and I just got off of food stamps last month. can you tell me where all the money is in the legal profession...I sure haven't found it. You dislike when we generalize about any other group of people. Don't generalize about us either. Half of my graduating class is still unemployed, and most of the other half, like me, could probably make more as a car salesman. Maybe 10% of my class got lucky and can actually support a family on their salary. My industry is suffering just as much as any other.

June 26, 2012 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  18. T Carr

"Clinton learned that lesson, made a change , got things done by working with Repubs and was considered a success"
    ___________________________
    Clinton was a deal maker. He was actually more of a Republican when it came to issues of the economy. I believe when he first took office, he had a Dem majority in Congress , yet he refused too give into the left with out addressing the national debt. He actually moved the political balance to the center. The Republicans are not flexible at all today as in the mid 90"s. Compromise is a sign of weakness now.

June 26, 2012 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  19. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

There are reasons to have jobs go overseas... They are for growing things that won't grow here or for diplomats and spies.

June 26, 2012 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  20. Anonymous

Keep doing good

June 26, 2012 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  21. Janet Brown

I have read most of these comments and the funniest thing is that u r all complaining and that is very confusing I would love for all of us as one nation to bend down on our needs in prayer and ask god for help to get this country back on its feet GOOD BLESS

June 26, 2012 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  22. Hormouz betelieh

I still believe in you Mr president, god bless America and you.

June 26, 2012 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  23. zapper

He's got my vote.

June 26, 2012 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  24. Pure

Hope isn't a plan. But it sure makes hopeless people feel a whole lot better.

June 26, 2012 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  25. The Dude

Romney is the worst thing that would happen to the middle class since the great depression if he is elected.

June 26, 2012 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |