Obama: 'I hope you still believe in me'
June 26th, 2012

Obama: 'I hope you still believe in me'

Atlanta (CNN) – President Barack Obama spoke to an excited crowd in Atlanta Tuesday, defending his Affordable Care Act on the eve of the Supreme Court's decision on the constitutionality of the law.

Speaking at a fundraising reception at the Westin Peachtree Plaza hotel, Obama told supporters "the American people understand we're not going to make progress by going backwards. We need to go forward. They understand we don't need to re-fight this battle over healthcare. It's the right thing to do."

- Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Repeating the "it's the right thing to do" mantra several times, the 500 attendees reacted with loud cheers. Each paid between $500 and $1000 to attend the event.

Highlighting the differences between Mitt Romney's economic plans and his own, Obama took shots at his rival's plan for top-down economics.

"We tried it, tried it recently and it doesn't work," Obama said, insisting the way to grow the economy is to "make sure every child in America has the best education possible" and to bring jobs back to the U.S.

Referencing a recent Washington Post article, Obama pointed out Romney's former firm, Bain Capital, was a pioneer in using offshore jobs. Obama stated frankly, "We need a president in the White House that will fight to bring jobs back to the U.S."

He told the group, "I am not a perfect man and I will never be a perfect president," but stressed the importance of Americans working together and acknowledged his need of the crowd's support.

"This is going to be a close election. The economy is still tough and folks are still frustrated," Obama said. He explained the messages from the Romney campaign will be, "the economy is bad and it's Obama's fault," but insisted that when he travels the country his faith is restored each day.

Laughing, he commented that in 2008 he didn't have all the gray hair he does today but promised "I believe in you. I hope you still believe in me."

- Check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator and game out your own strategy for November.

Also see:

Pawlenty: I'm best as a volunteer

Romney adviser: Obama immigration measure subject to repeal

Romney makes rounds at donor retreat

Jarrett to NABJ: White House bracing for health care decision

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama
  1. Will

Sorry boss I lost hope, when you asked my colleagues and I to detain Americans indefinitely. Your worse than My former boss with Rendition, and my boss before Clinton that who started the rendition program

America I work for you, sorry my boss really messed things up, wish there was ACTUAL honesty on fast and furious.

June 26, 2012 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  2. Harry From Pa

Obama is the only one out there trying to do something. You have all these naysayers that had their chances to do something and as soon as one guy steps up to help those that need it(middle class) he comes under attack. They say its partisan this and partisan that, and class warfare, but if that is so why is it you got mcconnell saying we will do whatever it takes to make sure he is a one term president, and class warfare? Why don't the rich pay the same percentage as we do, meaning the middle class? Isn't that class warfare as well? Whats the phrase be careful at who you point fingers too, you have 3 pointing back at ya...

June 26, 2012 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  3. ThankfulforObamacare

Without Obama's affordable health care act – if a child is chronically ill, the insurance company can say they have a pre-existing condition and once they become an adult -they are not insurable. This is wrong! The republicans told lies about death panels-don't believe it. They are paid for by big business who don't want affordable health care.

June 26, 2012 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  4. IndyPennedIt

It is tough to believe in Obama now except if you are a die-hard Democrat zealot. Like in the first election, he offers scant specifics on how he would move us forward from here. Unfortunately, he has only increased the negativity of his message, pointing blame all the time. I sincerely wish we had a more inspiring president who takes personal responsibility and leads the country forward rather than looking around for a scapegoat.

June 26, 2012 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  5. Frank

"Hope to believe in me" Are you out of your mind Obama. Look all your record over 3years and haft What is you do to this country? What is you promissed since 2008? Did you keep all promiss??????? You better RESIGN NOW before this November MEN.

June 26, 2012 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  6. California

How does it feel to HOPE Hussein and be let down?

June 26, 2012 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  7. silentcount

One would have thought that Obama could have organized the two political communities together, because that was the only thing on his job resume. But instead, he was responsible for driving them further apart. All presidents have to work with the other party, and even George Bush did that much better than Obama. It will only get worse if he remains for 4 more years. Democrats will accomplish more with Romney. He is a win win deal for all Americans.

June 27, 2012 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  8. mayflower

I am tired of the president asking us to believe in him when he hasn't given us any reason to do so. He won't run on his record, he's hiding things, and he still blames Bush and/or Congress for everything that doesn't go his way. Like it's a personal offense that we question his lack of leadership. I would believe in you, Mr. President, if you had done anything worth believing in. This will be the first time I don't vote Dem for president...but I just can't. He's a terrible leader.

June 27, 2012 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  9. algorelies

If Obama was an overweight, straight, irish man, he would have been impeached years ago, but no. Obama, in spite of his track record of having done absolutely nothing that did not require a "back room deal" or that was another fail promise, had and has had the bar significantly lowered from college to politics, the senate and then "fast tracked" to the white house. With no experience whatsoever, the country (those that voted for this imbecil) and those who did not have been taken for a ride that no white man could have ever accomplished.

But really, what were we to expect? The man has never been responsible for anything, so how do we expect him to act responsibly? In short: our president is a small and small-minded man, with neither the temperament nor the intellect to handle his job. When you understand that, and only when you understand that, will the current erosion of liberty and prosperity make sense. It could not have gone otherwise with such a man in the Oval Office.

Ouch! Ouch!! Stings, don't it??

June 27, 2012 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  10. Lost the Faith

Obama your a great speaker and politician, every time I listen to you I am almost convinced to reconsider. However, you economic polices are disappointing. Shipping jobs overseas is no different than giving them to foreigners who are in our country illegally. Both the ICE and Border Patrol unions have voted your appointees to be "incapable". Not to mention we are still Afghanistan. The icing on the cake i your partisan politics, leaders lead by example not by pointing fingers and blaming others. I don't like the alternative the pendulum has swung too far left and needs to come back otherwise our great country is going to end up like my current state of California. Broke, with education suffering and government leaching off the public.

June 27, 2012 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  11. slickteigkcmo

yes, we still believe in you Prez Obama, you've done a great job despite the opposition and challenges of Congress, the Repubs, all the nay sayers, haters, pessimistic peoples of American...... I / we believed in you 4 yrs ago and still do!!!! I haven't had a president who cared about our class of people, middle class , I guess , for ages...... we are hard working people, my husband and I -and Bush and his cronies couldn't relate to us or we them....... thank you sir, for your bravery, etc. We have road/highway work all over KC, MO and KS next to us, thanks to your stimulus packages, we have more and more companies saying they are hiring around here, thank God, so we are grateful to you President Obama, thank you for ending wars, caring about veterans, telling the banks, wall street how they "should" behave, caring about others, caring about health care for all citizens !!!! We think you're the one for the next 4 years!!!! Yes, we still support you sir, God bless you for all your hard work , for ALL Americans, all , not just the rich and elite...We are here for you as you've been there for all of us!!!! My, our city is doing well and we attribute the optimism to you and many things you've done for America, yea for improvements in the KC , MO area, we are coming back!!!!! Realestate is better, more jobs are here and coming, our 2 college grads, recent grads, have gotten jobs, my husband and I both have steady jobs, most people I know are working, thank God :))) we're spending again, getting "good" loans, so , things are better!!!! I hope banks, businesses all get going all over the country to help all Americans, 1 man can't do it all, it takes all of us to get America going again!!!! We have to be a team!!!! Not just 1 man can do all of this........but you are the man for the top job, the coach of our team usa!!!!!

June 27, 2012 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  12. eroteme

Obama tells us we will not make progress by going backwards. What words of wisdom! Reminds me of Rep. Wright's brilliant comment following Dukakis' defeat: His future lies ahead of him.

June 27, 2012 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  13. LISA

didn't vote for him in 2008 and will definately not vote for him in 2012.

June 27, 2012 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  14. riffsha

i believe in you Obama .You got my vote

June 27, 2012 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  15. nikki

It is really unfair that Obama got the s+++ end of the stick. Bush jacked everything up before he left office and left the mess for someone else to clean up. So of course its not going to happen over night. Put another republican in office? no thank you, im good. I believe in you obama you have my vote! FOR THE PEOPLE BY THE PEOPLE.

June 27, 2012 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  16. truth hurts

Claudia, Houston, Tx - I believe the future of America is in peril if we don't move "FORWARD" and President Obama is are only hope to move "FORWARD".
    ============================================================================================
    I believe the future of America is endangered every day Obama, the left wing dictator, is in office breaking and disregarding the laws of this nation. Every day he insists on the same failed policies are days lost and never recovered. Every day he attacks and demonizes and pits one group against the other,, the country gets further and further apart. Obama has been pure poison to the economy and to this country.

June 27, 2012 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  17. Farhad

"I am not a perfect man and I will never be a perfect president," – A man who can judge himself is one we all can trust and believe. Sometimes in the darkest cloulds we lose sight of the brightest strars and never come back. But wish a president like him should come again and again, does not matter what color he is.

June 27, 2012 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  18. truth hurts

Yes, I believe... I believe it is time for you to head back to Chicago and let that knows what they are doing take the reins. You are a divisive ultra left wing partisan that simply cannot work with others. You never even tried the last 2 years. The first 2 years you let Pelosi and Reid do all the work and lead you around by the nose. You simply have no clue on how to lead. You have never done it before and after 4 years still haven't learned how to lead.

June 27, 2012 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  19. Obama Supporter

I still believe

June 27, 2012 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  20. Aces Full

Know what the difference is between the mindset and ideology of Obama and the Democrats in the US and the people that bankrupted Greece and half or Europe?

Neither do I.

June 27, 2012 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  21. lawsquire

We went from "hope and change" to "I hope you still believe in me". That's sad. I know Dems are upset about GOP "obstructionism" but why would conservative members of the house (especially tea party freshmen) to simply rubber-stamp the President's agenda? We have had our system of checks & balances since the founding of the republic, and successful presidents have engaged in all the horse trading and compromise that the system was designed to foster. While I certainly am right of center, I am not a tea partier and don't reflexively disagree with all of the President's ideas. However, its wrong to believe that members of the other party who dont simply "get with the program" don't love their country and can't be part of a practical solution. Like most people, I believe the world would be a better place if more people thought like I did. Roughly have of Americans don't. That's a reality that President Obama needs to deal with ad well.

June 27, 2012 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  22. caeser

I see a bright green future for all american's inventing and supplying the world with the 21st century.
    OBAMA2012 Yes We Can.

June 27, 2012 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  23. Ted

The worse president in Ameircn history. Of course the Congress and Senate are partisian but the President is who we all vote for that it is his job to lead and bring the two side to a compromise. Funny Bill Clinton use to work the phones day and night to find common ground but Obama has no clue as we all suffer. Even GW had 111 DEMs vote for the Iraq war. Time for some GOP change.

June 27, 2012 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  24. Lobo

We gave you a chance and you blew it. it was all 'hope and change' in 2008 and now in 2012 i Hope to have enough change to feed the kids and put gas in the car to go to get my unemployment check. way to go and show the world how a epic fail is done.

June 27, 2012 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  25. Robert

You had so many chances Mr. President, now that the elections will be in November you want to do what you did no do for this country when you had so many opportunities.

June 27, 2012 01:32 am at 1:32 am |