Obama: 'I hope you still believe in me'
June 26th, 2012

Obama: 'I hope you still believe in me'

Atlanta (CNN) – President Barack Obama spoke to an excited crowd in Atlanta Tuesday, defending his Affordable Care Act on the eve of the Supreme Court's decision on the constitutionality of the law.

Speaking at a fundraising reception at the Westin Peachtree Plaza hotel, Obama told supporters "the American people understand we're not going to make progress by going backwards. We need to go forward. They understand we don't need to re-fight this battle over healthcare. It's the right thing to do."

- Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Repeating the "it's the right thing to do" mantra several times, the 500 attendees reacted with loud cheers. Each paid between $500 and $1000 to attend the event.

Highlighting the differences between Mitt Romney's economic plans and his own, Obama took shots at his rival's plan for top-down economics.

"We tried it, tried it recently and it doesn't work," Obama said, insisting the way to grow the economy is to "make sure every child in America has the best education possible" and to bring jobs back to the U.S.

Referencing a recent Washington Post article, Obama pointed out Romney's former firm, Bain Capital, was a pioneer in using offshore jobs. Obama stated frankly, "We need a president in the White House that will fight to bring jobs back to the U.S."

He told the group, "I am not a perfect man and I will never be a perfect president," but stressed the importance of Americans working together and acknowledged his need of the crowd's support.

"This is going to be a close election. The economy is still tough and folks are still frustrated," Obama said. He explained the messages from the Romney campaign will be, "the economy is bad and it's Obama's fault," but insisted that when he travels the country his faith is restored each day.

Laughing, he commented that in 2008 he didn't have all the gray hair he does today but promised "I believe in you. I hope you still believe in me."

- Check out the CNN Electoral Map and Calculator and game out your own strategy for November.

Also see:

Pawlenty: I'm best as a volunteer

Romney adviser: Obama immigration measure subject to repeal

Romney makes rounds at donor retreat

Jarrett to NABJ: White House bracing for health care decision

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama
  1. Josh

John Edwards denying paternity is more believable than anything Obama utters

June 27, 2012 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  2. Tom

How can you believe someone when they have constantly lied to you for the past 3 years.

June 27, 2012 01:35 am at 1:35 am |
  3. BrianPatronie

Let`s see how many people`s hope changes after the SCOTUS gets through with Obamacare...
    It`s just been too much in 3.5 years...
    Why are we still in Afghanistan?
    Why is the deficit not cut in half?
    Why can`t they be forthcoming about F&F?
    What happened to the stimulus?
    Why did he bail out the UAW?
    Why is unemployment still over 8% in light of all this stimulus money?
    What`s going on with the debt? Has anyone remembered what a budget is?
    Why are we allowing illegal aliens to live and prosper in this country through Federal initiative?
    Energy? Keystone or the Gulf spill, what was worse in Federal response under Obama?

I`ve never had anything against Obama personally however let`s face it, through a combination of inexperience, poor planning, an uncooperative 18 months with the Rep. House (and not much to show for a 2 year super-majority) and bad luck this man has failed. Failed acutely and clearly to manage this country and it`s interests. I sincerely wish I could tell my grandchildren different but...

We need a fresh start, I`m no loyal admirer of Mr. Romney but he`s run things like companies and governments. He`s not a first term senator sans community organizer...He`s got my vote.

June 27, 2012 02:12 am at 2:12 am |
  4. ED Sosa

The founding fathers wroted the constitution of The United States Of America,In baseball when the manager of the team is losing the game,he change the pitcher:and in this situation we are not playing a game: is the future of America,dont wear sun glasses all the time take off and see what is going on,America needs to waikedup.thanks

June 27, 2012 02:48 am at 2:48 am |
  5. Thomas

I'll vote for anybody other then Romney !

GW Bush had two terms to destroy the economy. You deserve a second term to bring back equality and prosperity for all !

Romney is GW Bush all over again .

June 27, 2012 03:00 am at 3:00 am |
  6. The Prophet

I checked it out in my crystal ball and Obama wins.

June 27, 2012 04:13 am at 4:13 am |
  7. JG

I don't "believe" in anybody. Not Obama, not anybody. Human beings don't deserve belief. I believe in freedom, civil rights protection, and virtuous behavior. Obama is welcome to believe in those things along with me and I may support him, but he's never going to get my belief.

June 27, 2012 04:57 am at 4:57 am |
  8. CNNveryBias

Fewer people have jobs now than when he took office. Possibly the worst president in history.

June 27, 2012 05:17 am at 5:17 am |
  9. runsarahrun

Once again.... "Me me me"
    This guy is so narcissistic it's frightening. We see thus kind of idolatry in North Korea and the "Dear Leader".

June 27, 2012 05:27 am at 5:27 am |
  10. gt

I believe in Obama, I know he believe in American people therefore, together we will forward, not backward. How possibly, 99% of us will vote for 1%. Wow, we are not crazy that mach. I will never ever believe that Mitt will ever understand how middle class going throughout especially in this tough time. Those people who believe Mit will understand their economy situation better than Obama. They are foolish. Remember, background is matter. Obama is the only person who can understand the middle class economy situation. He had has seen it in his own life. Obama raised by the single mother and then latter by his grandparents who had nothing to give except American dream to their grandson. Lesson, we have a clear choice, if you want govern by the Wall Street, especial interest. Well Mit is your candidate, vote for Mit. Otherwise vote for obama

June 27, 2012 05:50 am at 5:50 am |
  11. RD Carrington

"Obama stated frankly, "We need a president in the White House that will fight to bring jobs back to the U.S."

"While I'm planning to hand out some million work permits to illegal aliens..."

Those attending this dinner paid a lot to drink more Kool-aid.

June 27, 2012 06:19 am at 6:19 am |
  12. Dan

BO has not done anything but pander support from easily bought voters. He has done more harm to the Hispanic population by ignoring laws, and not implementing a long term solution as he said he would. He is scrambling for votes folks. After the election his attention of the border will go away. Frustrated states + NO FEDERAL SOLUTION = Continued immigrant abuses. Don't be bought!

June 27, 2012 06:32 am at 6:32 am |
  13. larry5

Is he asking us to believe his campaign statements? The ones he made and never implemented from his last campaign? And do we believe the statements that don't fact check? When he asks us to believe in him he needs to be more specific. It's difficult to listen to Obama sometimes. Make that a lot of times.

June 27, 2012 06:39 am at 6:39 am |
  14. larry5

Why does he need to ask. He's the greatest President we've ever had....

June 27, 2012 06:40 am at 6:40 am |
  15. Nathan G.

The President is not partisan. The problem is a large influx of tea-party induced brick wall politics. A party that refuses to compromise complaining that no one will work with them is ludicrous and hypocritical.

June 27, 2012 06:49 am at 6:49 am |
  16. richard

Claudia,you are right about one thing,this country must move forward.But during the last eight years it hasn't,Obama has only created more debt than any POTUS in history.I for one am tired of the choices available @ election time,we need a meaningful third choice

June 27, 2012 07:02 am at 7:02 am |
  17. sam Ispam

Obama: 'I hope you still believe in me'

and we hoped you would back us in Wisconsin's fight to restore collective bargaining. Where were you Me President?

I lost my belief in you bye bye on 11/2/2012

June 27, 2012 07:12 am at 7:12 am |
  18. Mike, MD

No matter if FORWARD is straight off of a cliff.

June 27, 2012 07:14 am at 7:14 am |
  19. notasheeple

I'm not a sheeple, I don't believe in a pathological liar who keeps proposing world government and a constant destruction of the constitution.

June 27, 2012 07:18 am at 7:18 am |
  20. Michael

NO didn't believe you could accomplish anything you were pushing for when running for President and gee, you have NOT achieved any of your goals. Thanks for the bamboozle!

June 27, 2012 07:19 am at 7:19 am |
  21. Gimmeabreak!

The right thing to do is to vote this loser out of office. How he has made our country suffer! What an egotistical monster!

June 27, 2012 07:21 am at 7:21 am |
  22. Harvty

Yes, I still believe that you are full of empty promises; lack the temperment to lead effectively, and will continue to weaken this country in a myiad of ways if folks are foolish enough to give you another 4.

June 27, 2012 07:26 am at 7:26 am |
  23. hadeenuff

I have HOPE there will be a CHANGE in the White House.

June 27, 2012 07:26 am at 7:26 am |
  24. True American

We still believe our beloved President !! Your actions speaks louder than words... You have achieved what other Presidents take two terms to achieve.. If only, If only GOP senate was with you at that time and be a ball of chain in your leg for every move you make to restore the country, this country would have rebound very quickly..
    This Country went behined several years with that Debt debacle, which GOP had close their and approved in the past.. I do not think GOPers have patriotism in them, except longing for power.. America is well off voting all Democrats from President to Senate to house..

This is coming an Independent, who have accessed carefully from heart.. I have critized in the past where ever possible.

June 27, 2012 07:27 am at 7:27 am |
  25. Free Man in the Republic of Texas

Obama: 'I hope you still believe in me'

LOL !!! LOL !!!!!! LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I" will close GITMO
    "I" will cut the deficit in half
    "I" will NOT have ANY lobbyists in "MY" administration
    "I" will veto ALL ear marks
    "i" will make the economy boom with green jobs
    "I" will make the sea step back
    "I" will end Red States – Blue States (Just United States)
    "I" will protect and defend The Constitution
    "I" will provide EQUAL "justice"

FORWARD To life under Dear Leader !!!

June 27, 2012 07:28 am at 7:28 am |